Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

This has been popping up in my youtube list recently, and it seems like a cute variation on a city builder. It’s in EA:

This is early access, but it looks like an oversight to have both a demo and F2P, or maybe it will have a price in the future.

2D platformer racing.

I grabbed Spiritfarer off Game Pass (console) today, and spent the day playing it. It is certainly an odd beast, but I’m really, really enjoying it. A game about Death… with no violence. It’s very chill, but at the same time you’re always moving along doing a seemingly ever-increasing amount of stuff. In fact, if I have any complaints, it’s that four hours in and it still feels like I’m in a tutorial somewhat.

I got an invite to the beta and got to play basically through the whole game. It’s pretty wonderful, although I’m hoping they shored up some stuff about the story that misfired a little bit for me. Regardless, the gameplay overall–most of the minigames and the collecting and building–kept me engaged through the whole game. And the art, animation, and music are absolutely top notch.

I hope by “change to horror” it means it becomes social commentary on unwanted pets, euthanasia, and pet overpopulation. And I hope all the killed pets come back for revenge.

Even though I wouldn’t play that because the topic is too depressing.

I absolutely agree on this. There is no way I can play a game like this.

He meant the trailer, and the “change to horror” in there is you trying to lasso an alligator, which attacks you and *cut*.

I couldn’t watch the trailer at the time, I was laying in bed next to my sleeping wife when I saw the post. I assume the trailer is loud and gruesome.

That game seems like a set up… When you are shown a puppy and the choices are ‘keep it’ or ‘leave it’ who’s ever going to pick leave it?

You’d be surprised. :(

Lethal 2D weapon-based fighter. This makes me want a new Bushido Blade.

Space sim ARPG.

Cartoony sequel. Skill Up liked it.

I’ve been wanting this ever since the first, and semi-regretted it when BB2 came out. Griefhelm looks cool. Can’t bite at that price, but I’ll keep my eye on it.

I played a lot of the original but only bought #2, which I still enjoyed. My real disappointment was thinking that Kengo: Master of Bushido would be similar.

Are you implying Smaug isn’t crate trained and sleeps in the main house at night? Le gasp!

I kept waiting for the pivot to “look how terrible this is” because I simply assumed it was a social commentary thing, not a real game. That it’s a real game utterly baffles me, who would want to play that?

That would make way more sense. Maybe the alligator eats you and inside him it’s Frog Fractions 4.

Which I can confirm is VERY good…

It would be more efficient if I just setup a bank transfer to you and you can gift me all the games I need to buy @BrianRubin .

Happy to help!

@BrianRubin the one and only Space Game Conceirge!