Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

It hurts me, but I fell asleep insanely quickly in Spire of Sorcery. Not at all the game I expected.

That’s my siren call.

It isn’t the game they originally announced. They kept the name and setting but scrapped the rest. Details here.

I played it a bit and quite liked the way it handled the theme and some original mechanics. My only complaint is that I couldn’t find a way to save.

That’s me and Fermi Paradox

Thank you.

I haven’t played a recent build, but last I checked, the popup showed what you need to address that target (kill, if it is an enemy, but it might be a matter of opening if it is a chest). Like two acid or three fire.

Are you seeing something else?

Yes I see that; I might get (so far) up to 3 lines on a popup showing tokens on the left & something on the right of each of those like a loot bag. I’m not as quick off the mark as many here I know but it’s not at all intuitive to me.

I mean yes I did figure out that I needed to be casting some of that stuff shown on the popup but it wasn’t clear to me why I won each fight.

Hmmm, from what I remember, if you can dispose of the target with either two acid or three fire, you might not get exactly the same results. Like maybe you destroy the target either way, but you only get loot from the acid because the fire would burn everything up. Maybe you are seeing the indication of the varying results?

I keep meaning to pull this game out again and see where they have gotten to, but I have been so obsessed with Caster of Magic for Windows, I keep saying maybe tomorrow. :)

Well that actually makes complete sense.

But there’s a lot of dicking around trying to get the correct tokens to cast the spells in the first place.

I like the casting system as a frame for challenges.
Different enemies/events have different requirements. Lots of elements interact with each other and enemies. Killing a beast with normal damage gives you loot, like meat. Burning that same enemy gives ash, which is an alchemy ingredient. Dispelling instead of damaging certain magical enemies gives special loot.
Acid and fire also convert into pure damage if you hit them with damage. You can have one guy prepare an acid spell, another a damage spell, for stacking normal damage. The advantage is that they use different element tokens so you will have an easier time completing both instead of casting two damage spells at the same time.

Where the game fell really flat for me is the proportional amount of that combat. The system turns from a challenge into a chore after say the first dozen of encounters yet that is 90% of what you do on a map it seems.
Enemy groups constantly spawn and combine. You can only have take three steps on the hex map each day. You only remove one fatigue each day. The exploration part is severely hampered by the need to finish the map as quickly as possible or you will get spammed by combined 6 enemies groups chasing you all over. By the end of the demo scenario I had like ten of those on the map and half of them alerted and chasing me.

I was really looking forward to a “mage management” game. The spire interactions aren’t in the demo but those chapter based combat slogs that are don’t create compelling gameplay. If they are a considerable amount of the game’s content as it currently looks like that does indeed evaporate a lot of the original interest in the game for me.

Jesus Krok, you can’t just try a whole bunch of games and recommend them all. You’re supposed to say most of them are not worth wasting our time on.

And we got a thread dedicated to Carrier Command 2 to prevent too much positivity in here already!

Dammit to hell, now I am starting to get a DEMO backlog.

Yes having fun with this (Wartales). I do like how you can switch characters in the movement order.

Connectank
ConnecTank - DRAGON QUEST ROCKET SLIME. But seems to be slower. 4 player coop, needs some more time to eval. Slow start so far, but I want to believe.

Sophie’s Safecracking Simulator
Sophies Safecracking Simulator - Shockingly detailed safe cracking thing. Worth 2.50 and then some.

I tried Terra Nil but it was too puzzley. Sable is gorgeous but I wasn’t in the right mindset and quit during the opening.
Carrier Command 2 - I should like this a lot more than I did, but I think I need to give it another shot.

Sea of Craft - Felt too wonky for me. I was hoping for something like a less janky from the depths, but it didn’t feel right.

Yeah, same here. I had a similar reaction to that isometric Mars colonisation game that had a demo recently.

Was it Mars Power Industries ? I made it half way through that game before it became too hard for me.

These made me laugh out loud.

And thanks for the impressions @krayzkrok and @lord_pall. But… Rocket Slime you say?

Terra Nil sounds great because I too struggle with the whole “let’s trash the place to build our metropolis”! I also like a bit of puzzling too.

This one:

Tried three demos so far, downloading Severed Steel now.

Out of Line: Puzzle platformer, these are often my jam, but this one I gave up on pretty fast, the mechanics are obtuse, and I actually got stuck and could not figure out what the tutorial was asking me to do.

Sable: Very pretty. Pro tip: turn on 60fps in the menu, it was on 30 for some reason, and that made it flow better. Don’t know if it was the mindset I was in, but did not feel like doing the fetch quests to progress the story.

Terra Nil: Just played like 30min, but I liked it so far - it managed to surprise me with the new mechanics it introduced, and yet they made perfect sense for the theme. I think I’ll boot this one up again.

Edit: Oof, Severed Steel is stylish and cool but the kind of game I think I’d like to see someone else do crazy stuff in, I’m not made for this.