Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

For those that like puzzlers like Stephen’s Sausage Roll
Bonfire Peaks coming to Steam, Switch, Playstation

Nice, I’m sure this will be a day one purchase for @Left_Empty . He’s very fond of Stephen’s sausage.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Been on my wishlist for months. Looks good.

Not only of Stephen’s, but having played quite a bit of that Monster Expedition and Baba is You, although they are compared a lot, they weren’t sausages.
I thought Stephen’s was unique and in a genre of its own the more I played with it, and those spiritual spawns have so far strengthened that feeling.

I just bought this and played the first few levels. Nice little game. It’s not by Zachtronics but if you’ve played any of those games you’ll feel completely at home. It’s exactly the same sort of gameplay; take two “signals” (i.e. values) and apply operations to them to output expected values.

I don’t really know what else to say because it’s exactly the sort of game you’d expect from Zachtronics. So if that’s your thing, this will be too. I definitely recommend it.

If you had just a minimal amount of cultured prejudices then you knew that it should be a hamster. Because it’s West Germany after all, check?

I didn’t even know this sort of game still exists, reminds me of the good ol’ DOS days :-)

Oh wow, I think I’m gonna need that. And it’s by Longbow too - nice.

I’ve stumbled upon it just because I play their other games. This would have never popped up on my steam page. I’d need to do some arithmetical acrobatics to get anything but strategy games listed :-) That’s why I’m fond of this thread.

I can’t believe you guys haven’t been playing the best breakout game of the last 20 years :0
It is available for old Macintosh computers too, on their site, if they didn’t take it down in all its geocities gif colourful glory!

Sable is out now, and still looks very interesting to me.

And it’s on Game Pass! If you’re into that sort of thing.

I commented on Sable in the GP thread, but I’ll talk about it here now that I’ve finished it (no spoilers).

It took about 16 hours. I got almost all the achievements- I didn’t get one of the masks, partially because it was kind of bugged, and I didn’t want it, anyway. And I didn’t do the collection quest to the end. I got through 4 stages of it, and when there was a fifth, I noped out.

I really liked the game. The aesthetic was great, of course, like an ‘80s euro science-fantasy comic book come to life (though without the usual’ adult’ content), but more than that, the design was great. We were taking on the TTRPG thread a few months back about an essay Vincent Baker wrote, that he included this Ursula K LeGuin quote:

Conflict is one kind of behavior. There are others, equally important in any human life, such as relating, finding, losing, bearing, discovering, parting, changing.

and you know? That feels like the guiding design principle of this game. The game focuses on all those things (some more than others, of course), and leaves out conflict (except perhaps the protagonist’s internal monologe, occasionally).

It isn’t perfect, of course. The quest design is mostly simplistic, as are most of the puzzles. The characters all have nice personalities, as far as they go… which is not very. And yeah, there’s bugs. Nothing truly game-breaking, but they can be confusing and/or annoying- a lot of the bugs are related to menus, mostly buying and selling, but for a while I had problems coloring the parts of my bike. The framerate hitches. Riding the bike can be goofy, and whistling for it basically didn’t work at all. But again, those were all just minor annoyances.

I’d love to see what the team can do to expand this whole concept and world. Learning how their society works, and the history of the people on the planet was really neat.

I’m waiting until they patch Sable a bit more, they mentioned they have two updates coming.

Yeah it seemed pretty buggy/janky when I played it so I put it down.

Patch was out for Sable when I looked this morning, at least on Xbox. Hoverbike seems smoother, at least. Framerate maybe a little, too?

This looks great, like a deeper Quantum League, with turn-based and simultaneous modes, 1v1 and 2v2. I’m currently watching Psychoghost stream it. Also on Xbox Game Pass for PC now.

Bloodroots (in Gamepass) a neat and cool action game. Try it!