Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

From what I can tell, it’s based on a solo PvE board game, so the random events is the pushback. I’m more concerned that this will be more of a puzzle game.

There is in-game help that the tutorial directs you to. Also remember that you don’t have access to the full tutorial. Hopefully things will be clearer at 1.0

You can play Pocket Civ Online ( Different game from the Steam version.):

http://pocketcivonline.blogspot.com/

www.pocketciv.comhttp://pocketcivonline.blogspot.com/

Obviously a labor of love, it has its clunky spots but I have had fun with it

@forgeforsaken, if you’re going to post in threads, please also read the threads.

-Tom

Forum used to do the thing that it warned you if a link was already posted.

Links to the steam shop get converted to the the clickable thingy and work differently. The forum search also doesn’t recognize the text in them.

Not available for Mac, so I curse the day you were spawned!

This also doesn’t support Mac Dave but RPS liked it:

Alternatively, you could read the threads you’re posting in.

You posted a link – without comment – to a game that someone linked three posts above you. Furthermore, that person actually had comments to make about the game. You don’t have to read them, of course, but it’s a pet peeve of mine when people make it obvious they’re ignoring the conversation, yet they insist on making themselves heard in that conversation. If you’re going to be that person, please find another forum.

-Tom

May the womb that bore you shrivel and turn to ash!

Seriously? One link in one thread after tons of posts all over this forum with real discussion and you go to the “find another forum”?

Yes, seriously. I’ve sent you a PM if you’d like to discuss it further.

-Tom

Do people remember Routine? It was a spooky looking sci-fi horror game set on retro space station running on chunky 1980s computer tech, e.g. Alien Isolation with just the androids. I remember seeing lots of hype for it back in the mid-2010s before communication stalled. Today it’s still not out but there’s another trailer uploaded on composer Mick Gordon’s channel and news that it will eventually release on GamePass. I’m glad it’s back because I love the aesthetics they’re going for.

The title “Space Beast Terror” reminded me of a really bad and boring Peter Cushing movie called The Blood Beast Terror about a monstrous, murderous moth lady. The ending had me in stitches when the film’s hero has the bright (and contrived) idea to light a bonfire which the flying, fluttering mothlady, being mostly moth, couldn’t help but dive straight down into, like a moth to a flame, thus immolating herself.

Never forgot! Looked terrifying. That’s amazing news because I thought it was toast. Will give the trailer a look later. Funny too, because I only heard it mentioned yesterday, and not in relation to that news either.

I tried the Metal: Hellsinger demo. I’m pleased to say that I defeated the devs. This is, I’m so bad at maintaining the rhythm and hitting on the correct notes that it was totally impractical to try to play the game.

Yeah, same here. Seems like a fun idea, but I couldn’t get the hang of the rhythm.

For all you folks interested in Aces and Adventures, there’s going to be a Kickstarter going live this week. My understanding is that it is to raise money for art assets and other things needed to finish the game, including the addition of a roguelite mode. There’s a streamer playing a more complete build than what the demo offered, so it’s possible the KS will give access to that.

Having played the demo, I’m really pleased with what I’ve seen so far.

Yeah it’s the same people who made Ring Runner and Popup Dungeon so I’mma pledge day one.

I haven’t played Vampire Survivors so can’t speak to 20 Minutes Till Dawn’s relative merits, but I’m really enjoying it.

Each run only takes a few minutes, the upgrades have a meaningful impact on your style of play (which is saying something considering you really only move + shoot), and the impact (both visually and mechanically) ramps up quickly and provides quite the satisfying spectacle.

And I haven’t even gotten to the different hero classes and weapons.

EDIT: forgot to mention the speed of the game. I’m not a ‘twitch’ gamer by any means, so I really appreciate how the character movement is designed. While shooting the enemies are faster than you, but when not shooting (ie running) you’re quicker. So you can take a few well-aimed shots, then dash through a gap as the monster horder closes in on you. It’s not constantly frantic - it feels like you have plenty of time to plan your path (and lines of escape). Plenty of risk vs reward decisions in terms of shooting vs moving, and ensuring you’re heading in a direction which allows you to pick up XP drops (which fall from killed monsters…who you’re typically back-pedalling from ie the XP gets further away!).

For less than the price of a cup of coffee, you really can’t go wrong!

Oh, and the pulsating soundtrack adds to the grim atmosphere.

Dread Delusion, a King’s Field throwback with chunky, PSX-style aesthetics and a garish palette, entered early access today. I’m going to keep a close-eye on how this one develops as the surreal, floating islands is something I want to explore. I hope it ends up being a hidden gem like Northern Journey.