Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Ohhhh, gotta try that, thanks Zak!

It seems very simple, but it did come from just a 7-day game jam thing, so no surprises there. But it has a certain coolness factor to it, like CW :)

Didn’t know about Nemoria (devs) until this morning. They have a new game in development via indiegogo called Northward, a co-op survival type game:

Their main site is here:

http://www.nemoria.net/home/

Pixel Piracy has officially launched in “release” state.

Let me list off just a few of the major differences.

There is now an End-Game!

There is now a rather large compendium/tutorial that you can reach by pressing f1.

Cannon combat has been fixed and tweaked, with the focus being on cannon combat only applying BEFORE boarding, and cannon shots target showing in red.

We have DOZENS of new systems in place for all of our FREE content patches that we will be adding in the coming months. Yes, you read correctly, we plan on continuing work on Pixel Piracy TOMORROW. There will be no slow down in work, and we will continue pushing new content as we come out with it!

Here are some basic truths about Pixel Piracy that I thought I would share with you all since I have always been very compelled to be transparent about everything I do.

Pixel Piracy:

Was created with a budget of 80 euros (until early access), which I paid out of pocket to purchase some basic sound effects and music.

Has sold over 200 thousand units worldwide, JUST in early access.

Is one of the quickest games to pass through green-light, in a little under 11 HOURS. Compared to the normal waiting time of 6-8 MONTHS we are very proud of this fact!

Is one of the first games to successfully LEAVE Early Access to become a full game.

Is one of the quickest games to enter and exit Early Access, having first appeared at the end of December and leaving today.

Was taken FROM PROJECT CONCEPTION to PROJECT COMPLETION in UNDER a year (364 days).

Huh, I’m tempted by Pixel Piracy. Any thoughts on it, anyone?

It’s only on Steam…so far?

Will someone keep on an eye on this and let me know when it comes out?

Almost obligatory RPS link - hopefully they’ll remember and let me know when I can play it.

It is brief but the summary sounds awesome.
That Which Sleeps is a turn-based strategy game in which players are an “awakened evil”, manipulating a world of AI in a gradual effort to corrupt it. You do that by recruiting agents and sending them around the world to complete challenges, inciting orc unrest or spreading famine.

If it’s a Lovecraftian turn based strategy game, you’re definitely safe to create a new thread about it. The forum will keep an eye locked on it.

Alas, you seem to be more of a Sauroman-inspired ancient evil as you reside in a fantasy world. However, Cthulu doesn’t care where evil spreads to. They plan a Kickstarter for raising money for art assets, so I’ll likely wait until we see how that goes.

This seems to be the best link, as it takes you straight to their devlog. It sounds like the game is all but finished, but they are using placeholder art and want to Kickstart for better assets.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=41735.0

That has potential

some more info on the lovely looking Never Alone:

http://neveralonegame.com/

RPS stuff:

I have no idea if it should go in this indie thread, the other indie thread or the kickstarter (and therefore early access?) thread.

A game called Dex. I know nothing about it other than “2d deus ex” and the fact that it has wonderful looking art.

note: It’s a 2d sidescroller that has no front-back-plane, therefore I’m predisposed to hate it.

Oh…very nice looking, thanks for that :) I think the no depth of plane scrolling thing won’t be too much an issue on ‘local’ area’s, it’s more an issue when you have a deep vista shot, then the illusion is broken a little. But for in-city, in-room screens you don’t need that parallax scrolling effect.

Finnaly!, a game where you can play as Palpatine :D

Ohhhh yeah, love this idea. Nice find, thanks!

Sorry, I wasn’t talking about parallax (I have no idea if this game has that are not – it’s hard to tell when the fore most plane is a sky-high building). I meant that it’s more like the character can simply move left, right or jump like in Mario or something, rather than something like Renegade, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage etc (or even bloody Disney’s Aladdin, in some situations… or am I thinking of Lion King?), where you can go “back” into the scenery.

Look at the fights at around 35s and 50s. Just a bunch of thugs stacked on top of each other. Whilst stacking still happened in SOR and similar games, that ability to walk front-back offered a much richer fighting experience, in my mind.

It’s something I dislike about Shank/2. I give Mark of the Ninja a free pass, as it’s stealthing completely makes up for it.

Ah yes, ok i see what you mean, and yes i agree that is rather ‘regressive’ but i suppose the extra coding to do that was not seen as necessary? Shame.

This looks very interesting, Miegakure:

RPS splorg here:

In the kingdom looks like a indie game worth knowing about (probably). I’ve yet to play it.

It currently costs $5 however, so I’m not going to buy it until it’s a game worth playing.

SALT was mentioned on the front page of RPS this week, so I went and downloaded the free demo and it’s pretty good.

It’s a survival game set in a seed-generated chain of islands, where you’ll hunt for and gather food and resources to make tools and equipment and then boats to get to the other islands. Islands have a couple nocturnal beasties, I believe, and there are also roaming pirates, but the most dangerous part to me thus far has been floundering about in the dark and wandering into patches of bramblethorns.

The demo drops you onto an island littered with logs and a few flowers and rocks to ease you into the crafting. It also has a treasure chest, (that took me 15 minutes to find), which contains enough logs and cloth to make your first boat - a simple raft that’ll be your method of travel to the other islands. I actually quite like the boating - it has a working tiller and you’ll need to drop and raise sail and work the tiller to go where you want. Getting back out to sea after landing is fun too, as you have to push your boat off the shore, then jump on and crank the tiller to turn before you get washed back onto the beach and have to try again.

The demo features only a small collection of islands that are always the same, but there was a decent amount of variety - some are rocky, enabling you to get stone and various minerals like coal and flint, while others have dense woods, which are better places to find logs, flowers, plant fibres and animals to hunt.

Deer will take a few shots from a bow to bring down, or if you can corner them in a small jut of beach or hill, then you can use a sword or club on them. They’ll give you the leather and meat you’d expect, but also antlers you can trade. They’ll also give you back any arrows you managed to hit them with. In fact, if you can find the arrows that missed, you can also reclaim those.

The real treasures come, as you’d expect, from Pirate’s loot. If you can find an island with pirates on it, (or clear activity like camp fires), then you can potentially find treasure chests containing bandages, high quality equipment, cloth, compasses and other goodies. These will sometimes be locked, however, at which point you need to find the Pirate Captain and… encourage him to give you the key.

They can take quite a lot of encouragement.

The game is still in development, with more trading, fighting and surviving to come, including the ability to make your own houses eventually.

Importantly, it’s already quite pretty.