Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Yeah, it has hilarious quests too, like if you get this one guy some cocaine to take the edge off, he becomes a follower. So far followers don’t last long, but such is the wasteland.

Very. According to the developer, Almost Alive is a 2020 or 2021 release.

-Tom

I liked it, and even did an interview with the developers on it. It’s not the hardest adventure game, but it’s got a lot of dry humor that works for me.

Yes sir, they sold me on the game when I got to see the big jugs in the demo!

Not sure how it will turn out, but maybe keep an eye on this forthcoming game from the creators of The Curious Expedition:

http://maschinen-mensch.com/press/sheet.php?p=the_curious_case

The Curious Case is a generative crime story game set in the Roaring Twenties of Berlin. As a chief inspector of the homicide department, the player’s goal is to solve numerous murder cases. The gameplay consists of investigating crime scenes, interrogating people, combining clues and traveling to various locations all across Berlin to eventually find enough evidence to identify and convict the murderer in a trial at court. Each crime case is taking place in Berlin during the time of the first German democracy. The political system has broken apart and on the streets armed forces of extremist left and right wing parties fight for superiority. The third largest city of the world is caught in between existential angst and the buzzing lights of the night. In the center of this intense and varied setting the player seeks to uncover a hidden web of entanglements and crimes. Taking a strong influence from David Lynch’s Twin Peaks, the player’s experience is riddled with mysterious characters and subtle supernatural happenings that infuse each crime case with a dark and in some places almost surreal tone.

Features

• Something
  • Something else
  • Thing that could be cool
  • Procedural Dreams!

Love it. This could be very cool, although I found Curious Expeditions hard to enjoy. I definitely agree with @Mr_Bismarck that Covert Action is a game that deserves a spiritual successor.

Very interesting. The site does project a release date of 2017, though, and still not even a trailer available, so I hope this is still a live project. I subscribed to their newsletter, though.

Abbey Games (Reus and Renowned Explorers) has announced their next title:

That looks excellent. I liked what they did with Reus, but felt it was perhaps a bit too complex for what it ultimately was. I’m happy they seem to take another stab at the God Game genre (or so it seems, at least).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It looks like a poor mans Battletech.

Looks interesting. A test drive and review will be much appreciated!

I seem to own it. I’ll check it out and report back.

Battle Brothers in space?

Worth knowing about (probably not), but…
The English localization of Dungeon Girl has finally been released, it appears.

I am a huge fan of Inu to Neko, but this game might be one of their weakest ones.
They usually make “joyful grinding” lite strategy games, whose characteristic quality is that they are text-based. Out of the Park Baseball levels of text-only stuff. The studio ventured the past couple of years into something more interactive, ventures which are not very succesful in my opinion. Dungeon Girl is one of those later games.
The studio’s games all take place in the same world, and the characters of various games interact with each others, so a lot of the charm may be lost on that front too.

As a huge match-3 nut, I’ve had that one on my wish list for ages. I’ve watched some gameplay, but I’m just not sure about it. It’s not my preferred style of game (this is tap to remove connected blocks) and I can’t tell if there’s any real depth to the gameplay from what I’ve seen. If Valve ever resubmits their iOS app thingy, I’d probably give this a go.

It’s been a while, but if I recall it was something closer to Zoo Keeper… excepting it didn’t have combo, in some weird design decision, making it very plain?

So MechCorp is fun! Basically you have a mech mercenary corp, and a starmap. Missions are on the starmap, and there are also points of interest, distress calls and hostile fleets, all of which can lead to battles. The battles take place on simple hexagonal maps, and your mechs can have all sorts of abilities, from defense to hacking to special attacks and so on. Mechs can also be customized with different weapons and support modules.

It is simplified from Battletech, but that means I might like it a bit more, as stuff plays more quickly here.

Whomever wrote the music for the trailer has a bright future…

From that trailer, it looks like you cannot amputate members or make body parts explode, which is what makes many of my body parts tinkle watching Battlemech or Front Mission. Is that the case?

As of the first few missions, targeting specific body parts doesn’t seem to be a thing.