Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Trine played very well in coop too. If they go back to more like the original we’re in too.

@Sonoftgb

So to follow up on this I bought and played Istanbul. It plays fine. A bit puzzley but fine. The biggest issue for me is the lack of connection between theme & mechanics. I have pretty dry tastes but this one is SUPER dry. Like Through the Desert level dry.

So yeah I dont really recommend it unless you love heavily abstracted Euro’s.

Thanks. I looked at a couple of reviews of the physical version, and that was the impression I got so I decided to pass.

Well the physical version is a bit dry but not overly so.

One of my favourite boardgames.

Cool cool I can see how it would play smoothly too. I think you would love the computer version. Its very well done. I appreciate its mechanics.

I love the digital version of Through the Desert. Hoping The Istanbul Dice game comes to iOS.

It’s already there, I think:

Yeah, to be clear I have massive respect for Knizia and his style of design. TtD is a great game, no doubt. They tune these things amazingly well. Just the gap between the mechanics and theme often just leaves me wanting some more thematic chrome you know?

The iOS app is for the original Istanbul game. The sequel is Istanbul: The Dice Game.

[insincere]Dice, digital, same word almost!

Did you guys know that Istanbul was Constantinople? Now it’s Istanbul, not Constantinople. Been a long time gone, Constantinople.

Why does Constantinople get the works?

Dunno, man.

I haven’t watched it, or even listened to the song, in probably 20 years, but I still remember it

Ummm… Brian Rubin reviewed this!

@BrianRubin, @tomchick, @MrCoffee were talking about Almost Alive up thread and it drew me in.

But after playing it I found it to be a massive jankfest that needs another year or two under EA before it’d be worthy of my precious time.

I left a negative review stating as much. The developer did not take kindly to that! A quick look at the other negative review shows the developer responding to all of them in a really sour way!

Oh no! I’m sorry! I really have had fun with the game. Shame I can’t return it.

Why return it if you’re enjoying it? :)

I can definitely see how it’s enjoyable. I returned it mainly as I was under the magic 2hr barrier and knew I was never going to play it again, unless someone posted something worth-while about it on here. So I decided to get my money back to spend on something else!

Oh his reply wasn’t too bad. It’s his baby, he should probably show restraints, but it wasn’t the FU fair often found on Steam ;)
And it made you write a more in-depth opinion that I could totally relate to! I would never have expected the game to feature any text or non shooting interactions, from that store page.

I know, right!? I don’t want to TALK to these drugged up gangsters, I just want to shoot them in the face! What kind of bait and switch operation is this developer running?!?

And you’re right that his reply wasn’t too bad, especially to my original review. I just thought it was amusing that he replied to all 7 of the “negative” reviews in a really sour way. I can’t imagine what how he’d cope if the traditional steam review of “shit game” came in.