Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Needs mining. Like the art style, though.

Can confirm Landinar is pretty great.

But…

Is it as good as Star Citizen?

I bought it. I would hold off for a while. The concept is good but it needs more time before its fun.

I guess not?

I’m excited, but for a reason you didn’t mention! Frankly, I have a hard time caring about yet another fly/fight/trade space game. But this one is by the guys who made Convoy, a nifty nod to the Roadwar games us older geezers played on our Apple computers. As for Landinar being early access, hmm, let’s see how early access:

That would be September 2019, which we all know means early 2020. So you guys please stop posting about this until it’s out.

-Tom

Two ex-Raven devs are trying their hand at an old-school FPS, which is looking very promising! Prodeus just got a Steam page, and will release next year.

It looks cute, but I got past “blood, ho ho ho, gross!” with Infernal Runner when I was 8. I am a bit sad they seem to focalize around that.

The violence is very exaggerated and I can understand why that could be off-putting, but for me I find that absurd
levels of gore can provide very satisfying feedback in FPS games. I still load up Monolith’s debut Blood from time to time just because of how enjoyable throwing a bundle of dynamite at a bunch of silly cultists feels! These guys seem to appreciate that exploring to hunt down keys and finding secrets is a big part of the appeal of old games, and it’s not like they’re not coming out of retirement or anything to make this (they’ve been active creating modern shooters, too).

I think the store page might be focusing around that merely to attract attention, too.
The pixely but not pixely (when the monster closes up on the player, in the first gif in your post, for instance) sort of art seems super cool though.

I agree that the stylized art direction is pretty appealing. It stands out from the other recent throwback shooters by avoiding being either absurdly faithful, like Ion Maiden and 3DR’s unannounced Quake 1-engine FPS (gif below), or looking a bit low-budget.

I see a game like Prodeus and think to myself, “Hmm, I should just reinstall Painkiller…”

Still, I love the look of the over-the-top gunplay in MrTibbs’ gifs. And if they’re guys from Raven, I’m betting they know what they’re doing. So, yeah, put me down for some – checking the name again, because it sounds like something from the bottom of a long list of names they wanted to use but couldn’t – Prodeus!

-Tom

Speaking of Convoy, it’s in a Steam bundle with Landinar for $20 (33% discount): Convoy Collection on Steam

Sold.

Surely you mean Shadow Warrior 2?

Six of one…

-Tom

If you subscribe to Humble Monthly, you can get a sneak peek built of a game called Forager, a kind of survival crafting game with a cute look and a stripped down resource system. It plays pretty well and seems like it could go pretty deep system-wise.

The new game from the makers of Love You To Bits (the semi-sequel from the same guys but different studio to one of my favorite dead mobile games, Tiny Thief).

Bring You Home. Looks a lot like Love You To Bits.

http://www.bringyouhomegame.com/

I don’t think I’ve brought up Geneshift in this thread. It’s a top-down shooter reminiscent of Grand Theft Auto 2 with a single player/co-op campaign, multiplayer, amazing bots and a new mini battle royale mode. The dev recently added a challenge system as well.

It’s currently on sale too, and it’s amazing. Seriously amazing.

Is it worth playing in single-player, Brian? Seems like it’s mostly multiplayer focused (which is a great idea for this style of game–don’t get me wrong–but I probably wouldn’t play it much).