Live-Action Disney Little Mermaid

Its going to be deeply confusing for me to be sexually attracted to Sebastian.

God this looks like crap too, it is going to have the same problem the Lion King did, where they try to make things look “real” and it just doesn’t work.

No way we are getting anything that looks as good as

I think you will be safe.

Looks fine to me, at least based on that teaser trailer. I’m sure we’ll probably watch this at some point though our girls aren’t really in a Disney princess phase anymore.

This must be a conspiracy by Disney to get us to want 2D animated movies again. Every single one of these things has been forgettable and disposable.

The only one of these live-action/CG re-imaginings I’d argue for is Maleficent because that tried to do something different with the core material. All these films that are just straight-up remakes are goofy to me. I mean, I get the money motivation, because these do seem to make money, but ehhh.

I haven’t really watched them, but from the trailers and the YouTube videos, it seems a lot of them are simply shot-for-shot remakes of the 2D version.

Yes, some largely are.

Malificent is not, and is by far the best for it. Mulan wasn’t but was incoherent because it wouldn’t commit to any of the three lanes it was on (animated remake, historical legend, wuxia style spectacle), and so was unsatisfying in every way.

That’s all there really is to get. I guess maybe some of the VFX artists are enjoying the work of adapting the source material into 3D photorealism, but that kind of feels like the technological equivalent of using tracing paper.

Right, I’m saying from an audience perspective, I don’t understand why anyone likes these remakes unless they bring something new to the table other than live actors or CG versus 2D animation.

I am with you there. There is some novelty in seeing how so-and-so looks as Ursula or whatever, but personally I don’t need to watch an entire film remake just for that. Kids tend to be less cynical and get more enjoyment out of seeing an animated character in the flesh, like at the theme parks.

Yeah, I don’t think these movies are for those of us who grew up on the originals…I think they’re for slightly older children who maybe haven’t seen the originals are think they’re too old for cartoons.

I still the originals are superior in every way for the ones I’ve seen (which is just a few of them) but I guess there are some people who get enjoyment out of them, so…have at it.

I can’t say I ever really enjoyed a Disney live-action remake of their animated films. Also; Who Framed Roger Rabbit is just the best.

But if this invigorates and inspires black girls, it’s a good thing I guess for that alone.

Just got back from taking the kids to see this. It was easily our favorite of the “straight” remakes, doing a nice job of adding more nuance to several characters and some excellent reinterpretations and additions to the music.