Live Action Gundam from Netflix

I could watch that.

They should do Armored Trooper VOTOMS instead.

I would love an Alita-quality adaptation of the One Year War Amuro arc. There’s no guarantee this will be it (either in quality, budget or script) but one can dreams.

Votoms definitely would have been easier to adapt.

But give this an Asian enough cast (well, not Char) and if this becomes a series of movies can be a absurdly profitable cash cow for Netflix, so there’s hope they do it justice.

Some combination of Votoms and Mellowlink would make for a great live-action series.

The One Year War is less about ultimate Gundams killing everything, unlike later series? Its more in the Realistic Mech Genre, correct?

Correct - and the Anime series actually only covers last ~3 months of the One Year War. The early part of the war that’s just part of the lore is probably easier to do live-action since it’s mostly conventional weapons vs early mechs.

Well, good to know. There are the follow up Gundam Series that have nothing to do with the 1 year war or are set in the same universe.

They share the same types factions and robots, but the tech, the reason for the war is different. And suddenly you have Gundam that can kill hundreds of bots in a single battle.

And that that kind of Mecha is not my cup of tea.

I don’t know, most Gundam series tend to keep to Gundams being “real robots”, just very advanced wrt the overall predominant technology (but not uniquely advanced). Short of a weird space between super robots and real robots, but definitely edging a lot towards the real robot stuff. The more extreme super Gundams are not that common in the overall franchise, I think, and one of the latest series (Iron Blooded Orphans) kept to a pretty “realistic” style. Although the Unicorn stuff is sometimes a little too much.

I don’t know either. Gundam Wing, And Mobile Suit Gundam SEED really went big on the Super Robot Trope. And I expect that a lot of Gundam Shows follow a similar structure.

Gundam Wing was about 5 Gundam pilots taking on huge armies, and always coming out victorious. The show felt more like Voltron in how their weapons would casually rip apart dozens, if not hundreds of enemies in a single shot, and had the ability to dodge enemy laser beams or block them with energy shields just as casually. (and of course, they loved their energy beam sword because Swords are cool).

Gundam Seed was a bit better but still focused on a single Gundam being able to defeat large armies, partly because of Genetic Super Humans, but also Nuclear Power! And then it ends up with the protagonist against the world.

Those are just the ones I’m most familiar with. If you say most are more realistic, I have some hope.

You’ll probably enjoy the MS IGLOO series - they’re side stories set in the One Year War that aims for a more realistic ‘gritty’ feeling. Would be amazing if the movie takes inspiration from that but I’m not holding my breath

I like Gritty although too much Gritty can be rough.

But, you all have challenged my preconceived notions of what Gundam is, and I hope you all are right.

To hijack this thread even further, if anyone is interested in ATV, Hidive appears to have it all (except the spinoff Mellowlink) and put together a viewing order guide:

And they have a 30 day free trial.

I mean. Gundam has super humans and plasma swords. Those are pretty integral to the franchise. But normally that’s within a somewhat realistic conflict and frameset.

The universal century stuff those a good job of justifying the swords and nice plot points with the super humans.

I mean, they aren’t as OP as in Gundam Wing, but there is an awful lot of space magic involved…