Local Elections

That’s an insanely high error rate. Hopefully no other votes using their machines were particularly close.

I realized some time ago that election margins of victory were approaching if not actually inside the margin of error of vote counting machine systems. It’s a big problem, hand recounts are going to become more and more common. Not that hand recounts are a solution, either; we don’t even want to think about what happens there.

In his previous research on voting accuracy, Byrne found that voting machines fail to capture voter intent up to 4 percent of the time. He found a 1-2 percent error rate for paper ballots, a 1.5 percent error rate for direct recording electronic – DRE – machines and a 3-4 percent error rate for punch cards and lever machines.

Lots of elections have margins of victory less than 2% these days.

Yeah, I recall thinking about that as long ago as Bush/Gore.

I think a lot of people treat hand recounts as 100% accurate, but that’s because they’re thinking of count like, a couple dozen things from a literal hat. Of course there’s a margin of error there as well.

Arrow’s Impossibility Theorem is a fun rabbit hole to dive into.

GOP in Texas for 2020:

Circa 2013 ZL1. Badges removed. Custom exhaust, shifter, wheels, tires, fuel door, emblems, and grill.

She’s got my vote.

And my axe.

I’d vote for her, and the commercial is well-made and effective, but a Dem candidate campaigning for Congress by glorifying the machines that will destroy the world is probably not what we really want. Is it?

I agree with you, although New Mexico.

For New Mexico, it ought to be an electric car. Plenty free solar energy available.

As long as it has guns on it.

I agree in theory, however I also believe the commercial was less about playing up her motorhead cred and more about slapping people in the face with her badass CIA background (“Yes, they do teach you to drive like this in the CIA.”).

Most of the people on this forum would likely vote for her because she’s an obviously intelligent, experienced and capable candidate with a background in intelligence that we could sorely use in a government that seems to be getting dumber by the hour. The car, the look and the bad-assery aren’t designed to appeal to us (even though they do), they’re designed to appeal to the low information voter who will vote for her based ONLY on the commercial, the same methodology they use to buy beer and snack chips.

Hopefully it works, as New Mexico would be damn lucky to have her as a representative. We desperately need more Democratic candidates with military/intelligence/government service experience or backgrounds in critical areas like Education, Healthcare and Science to run for offices. Smart people making informed choices in service to the people they represent is the only way we’re going to fix anything.

Perfect vs Good. Enemies forever.

Yes, I agree.

Only, you know, I said I was for her.

So we are therefore not allowed to comment on the qualifier?

Comment all you want. Start with whether you think it’s generally desirable for the left to keep selling the sexiness of gas guzzling performance cars. Me, I think the question answers itself, but despite that I’d still vote for Plame. So I wasn’t really calling for perfection rather than good, was I?

If Democrats in fact sweep Virginia, it’s realistic to expect it to become the 38th State to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, setting up a showdown about putting it into the U.S. Constitution now.

Don’t worry, oppressed men! Phyllis is on the job keeping the uppity women in their place.

Maybe this go here? Do we consider congressional races “local?” An interesting set of seats to watch. Maybe send some money to one or more of these folks instead of buying another game for your collections?

Probably fine, but I think this thread was meant for congressional stuff. To me, local means things like Governor, Mayor, state congress, etc.

EMILY’s List doesn’t screw around. 9 out of these 12 on their List.

Martha McSally, Trump Hack. She’s gonna lose again and we’ll have an astronaut in The Senate again.