LOL and Dota2

Hi… Can anyone give me some advice to learn dota2 and league of legends…

The jump in and play is a bit overwhelming.

Watch YouTube videos.

Here’s the League of Legends thread for Qt3:

For DotA 2 I would say watching games is a fun way to learn. There is a Watch tab in the UI, you can just pick the latest games there and check it out.

Also, play against bots. You can play online games which matches you with a team of other humans, or just start a lobby by yourself and check off fill with bots in the options. Human bot games are pretty relaxed and newbie heavy, so even if you are self conscious its not horrible. Probably I would play solo vs bots the first game or so just to get a hang of controls.

If you feel like video tutorials (of characters), check out purge’s youtube – He plays games with the various heroes, explains how to play them and why what happens happens. http://www.youtube.com/user/PurgeGamers

edit: oh, and here is a welcome to dota sort of article, written by purge. I only skimmed it but it seems pretty nice - http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

If you want pure info, try the wiki, http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Dota_2_Wiki

I really wish I could play DotA 2, it sounds really cool and like something I’d enjoy getting into (plus you can play offline against bots, right? And co-op comp stomps, maybe?). LOL and other type games seem fun as well, but watching DOTA 2 it feels like it might be more my speed, and it’s a little more polished looking (possibly)? How are people getting in, just waves of beta invites and buying the beta deal on Steam? I signed up months ago and haven’t heard anything so far.

If you’re gonna buy a Dota2 key try the SteamGameSwap reddit, they go for around 5$ in games there.
The survey is just luck of the draw, I know some guy that just selected random answers and got in last month. There’s also key raffles on playdota.com and the sharedota2 reddit.

You could also check out Heroes of Newerth while you wait for a Dota2 invite, it’s pretty much DotA with slightly different heroes and items but the skills you build playing HoN will directly translate to Dota2 (unlike playing LoL which is a very different game). Or try Dota1 if you can handle the graphics.

I got invited to it, i dont think i like DOTA 2 too much, compared to LoL it feels way too fast and i can never figure out whats going on or whats killing me (besides being bad at it).

Oh, just play some more! I think Dota is a lot deeper then LoL.
Once you get the hang of it, it’s quite fun!

Make sure you go into either with some seriously thick skin as the community for this genre in general is brutal towards new players. While some call it MOBA, I call it the “Fratricide” Genre. It would be a tall order to come up with a design doc that could be any more tailored towards team implosion and blame slinging.

Other than that, yes youtube will be your friend. Gravitate towards commentary ones and also, I strongly recommend the below video once you are past the ultra newb level. It teaches some basic concepts that are critical and often invisible to new players. The concepts apply equally to either game choice.

Here’s a pretty good beginner introduction video to DotA2:

Most important part of advice from that video: If the enemy hero has a popped collar you’re probably going to die.

Everything you need to know about the genre you can learn from songs. For instance, Map Awareness.

Find some friends who already play LoL or DOATES and play with them, would be my actual advice.

IMO LoL is a better game for one simple reason: NO DENYING. That is such a retarded mechanic and completely counter intuitive. It’s not fun to do nor fun to have done against you. It also makes melee champs nearly impossible to play against ranged ones as they just out harass you and deny all your creep.

This is about LoL, but it should really apply to both games. It lays the basics of the game out fairly well and should help keep you focused on what’s important.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=71443

Ehhh… that’s such a LoL mentality haha. Melee carrys carry much harder then ranged typically, and they have the advantage of a stout shield into vanguard, or a hatchet. “harass” really is not the worst part. plus, you can have a ranged. just adds another layer of depth :D

If anyone here is just starting out in DotA and is Europe based, friend me in Steam and I’ll gladly team up with you, because I’m starting out too.

Watch Purge channel on youtube, you will learn alot

Yep I play undying alot, and been more then a few games where i have not died once.

But LoL is a fantastic game to. There just a bit diff in a few areas.

ARAM mode is a great way to get a feel for most of the champs in LOL. Matches are quick and action is intense.

Also, you might want to check out Smite for a more 3D experience. Since the game is brand new, everyone is still learning the champions.

This is exactly why you should not play DOTA 2 because I have absolutely no idea what he just said.

Well to be fair, that’s probably because it didn’t really make sense to start with.

LOL stout shield is a shield that stops range and melee damage, then you can turn that into a vanguard, makes tanks very tanky :)

Item builds take a bit of time to figure out coming from lol for sure.

LoL and Dota2 are almost completely different games at this point, even though they occupy the same genre (like trying to compare TF2 and CoD, is the example I always use. Sure you can do it, there just isn’t much point to it).

As a complete beginner I recommend playing LoL, at this point in time anyway. It has decent tutorials built into the game and a nice gradual build-up in matchmaking skill, etc, basically it has a lot of tools suited to getting new players into the game.

Dota 2 on the other hand, while having plenty of Youtube stuff doesn’t have anything in game to help you bar a “hero wiki”. (Valve haven’t got around to releasing it in the Beta yet). It’s also hard to get access to, you either have to randomly get a key from Valve or trade money for one (redditgameswap mentioned already) and the learning curve for the game is by far the highest of any game in the genre.

LoL will help you know if you like the genre and then if you really like the look of Dota 2 after that then you can start going out of your way to get into it. I play and enjoy both games a lot, for what it’s worth.