Looking for mystery solving games with little to no threat

Lots of fantastic suggestions here, thank you very much everyone!

Until Dawn would have been perfect - except that apparently she’s already played it, heh. She does absolutely love it though, in fact I think she’s played through it several times now that I think about it.

Most of the games mentioned have gone on the list. I think she wants to play Gone Home and Vanishing of Ethan Carter first. I’m also going to nudge her toward Obra Dinn because I want to play it myself. :D

Again, thank you everyone, and do keep them coming in if anyone thinks of any more. She’s gone from considering just playing Homesick again to suddenly having a nice long list. She’ll have a backlog of shame in no time!

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but The Council might be another one you can add to the list.

Huh, that looks quite the thing doesn’t it? I quite fancy it myself actually, but my daughter also loves history so it will probably be a strong contender. Thanks!

Oh right, I just recently played that. Especially since she has an interest in history, because it’s fun to rub elbows with Napoleon and Washington.

What about the Frogwares Holmes series?

I guess to be most helpful we should have asked her age.

Obra Dinn is phenomenal.

What about The Last Express?

Started that last night. Oh man, that voice acting.

Have you played Unavowed? I got stuck a couple of times, but it’s relatively gentle on the puzzle difficulty for the genre.

Definitely bump Call of the Sea up your list. First person, puzzle driven, horror themed (but colorful, not as bleak as most), and just really well done. Good suggestion, @RickH!

No, I don’t own it yet, but it’s been sitting there on my wishlist, along with the Shivah! I’ve tried playing the Blackwell games multiple times, but I’m quite ashamed to confess that I always got stuck so quickly, I just gave up, as looking up solutions all the time or wandering around aimlessly is what turned me off adventure games.

Speaking of which, if some people aren’t aware of them (I sure weren’t!), I am going to suggest that anybody should try (the first episode is free) the Snail Trek series: despite the ugly title, they are wonderfully written, they use an updated AGI engine — the Sierra “type and move” games that predated point & click — that features autocomplete, and are just absolutely charming.

Each episode is very short, 20 minutes long, but surprises are a-plenty.
You can get the whole 4 episodes adventure for 2 bucks.
Can’t wait for the next game from this Phil Fortier.

(also, the handholding of the first episode won’t occur in later ones, but the games are very easy overall)

Actually finished this one (I usually don’t, can’t be just me?). There’s a puzzle toward the end that I could not understand even with the walktrhough I resorted to, but other than that it was a pretty smooth ride and I’ll third or fourth the recommendation.

Oops I missed this - Call of the Sea looks perfect, I’ll definitely suggest that one. Thanks!

Someone asked her age; she’s nearly 16 and unfazed by pretty much any theme, she just doesn’t want combat.

Also Soma is a great suggestion but she watched me play through it all so I doubt she’d play it herself. I have suggested Alien: Isolation but that was a no. :D

So you’re saying Space Beast Terror Fright doesn’t have a chance!

Absolutely Return of the Obra Dinn and Gone Home. Firewatch is worth a look. I would have ‘recommended’ Soma (safe mode) but I see you folks have experienced it already. It’s sooo good! As is Edith Finch.

Sillhouette mentioned Portal and Portal 2 which I think fit perfectly and they’re both just amazing.

36 posts deep and no Outer Wilds! Booo!

It’s a first-person sci-fi mystery where you explore an open but cosy clockwork solar system investigating the… well, you’ll have to find out. The less you know going in, the better! There’s no combat but there are threats, almost entirely environmental, but ‘failure’ isn’t really a thing, or at least it’s a core part of the gameplay loop. Though some folk don’t get it, I think there’s all kinds of horror in there too. It’s awe-inspiring and spectacular but so clever and focused. I can’t recommend it enough to anyone who loves a good mystery.

Another suggestion is Sagebrush but I’d recommend caution based on the game’s themes. It’s only a few quid/bucks and a couple of hours long tops, but its creepy, mysterious and affecting, despite its lo-fi aesthetic. I loved it.

Thank you! Lo-fi is fine, in fact it’s preferable because then she can play on her non-gaming laptop instead of taking over my PC. :D

Yeah Soma is one of my favourite games of all time. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a story so well executed in a game.

A million times this! My GOTY. I’m embarrased I didnt mention it. It leaves gamepass soon, so get to it.

Thanks for all the tips about Obra Dinn - I really wanted to play this when it came out but then completely forgot about it until now.

Has anyone mentioned “Life is Strange”? I must admit I only played the first episode but enjoyed it very much.

I know someone else mentioned ‘Everyone’s gone to the Rapture’ saying it was boring, but this is actually my favourite ‘walking simulator / narrative puzzle’. The setting (in an English shire village) is just perfectly rendered, and the story works even better in the light of the pandemic. I’ve played it through many times, and although there’s no ‘threat’ and no real puzzle solving, the gradual uncovering of the plot through voice-acted scenes and vague ghostly outlines is akin to some sort of open-air immersive theatre show, as if I’ve walked onto the set of ‘The Archers’ (famous long-running radio rural soap-opera for you non-Brits). The ending is just beautifully poignant and I still find myself reflecting on it from time to time, years later. I’ve not really found anything else quite like it, and probably wont since it got panned by some critics for its lack of interactivity (who use ‘walking simulator’ as a swear word).

In contrast, I got bored with Edith Finch after an hour or so, not helped that the movement made me nauseous for some reason. Gone Home was a great story, but way too short - albeit a very satisfying ending.

There’s also “Eastshade” which has a very satisfying story as well, perhaps slightly towards the RPG genre rather than pure narrative puzzler, but I did enjoy the way the story played out around you and you had to be in certain places at certain times to notice what is going on.

“Marie’s Room” is a very short story game in the style of Gone Home, except all in one room. It’s free, so nothing to lose there.

Tacoma is a great narrative puzzler set in space - this is another one I felt was too short, only because I was enjoying it so much and getting to know the characters.

Oxenfree, though a sideways adventure not 3d, is one of my favourite stories in the genre, including some really clever (but v brief) ‘mirrorworld’ interaction with someone else playing the game at the same time as you. I’m not even going to attempt to explain the story for this one - just too good.

“Journey” - a profound experience for me which I played in entirety in one 5 hour session, but I’ve never dared play it again because so much of its joy depended on the other random person I ended up playing it with through the internet.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go grab Obra Dinn… Y’all can keep your horror games like Soma and Amnesia by the way - big nope! But if you know of anything with great stories to uncover that leave you thinking about them for days and weeks to come, I’d really love to hear about them too.

Tacoma’s pretty similar.