Looking for mystery solving games with little to no threat

Yes I can see the similarity, Both games have you uncovering ‘what happened’ by some mechanism that lets you see a replay of various scenes long after they occurred. Tacoma has rather a nice twist at the end if I recall, while Rapture has a rich sense of poignancy and loss. Music makes a big difference to these games too.

You seem to like strong stories. I totally understand if you don’t want to play Soma, but I beg you, watch a no-commentary playthrough at least!

(Also thank you for all the recommendations)

Good idea - I actually enjoy watching others play horror on youtube, just don’t enjoy the stress myself, especially where there’s a ‘chase/hide’ mechanic, or even worse an enforced capture/escape as part of the plot!

Please play it. I’m the worst wuss, I shiver in any FPS, but this is a really brilliant… tale first and foremost (won’t tell anything more of fear to spoil it).

Alternatively, watch Oxygen on Netflix. I shouldn’t really say any more than that.

Well thanks for spoiling that movie for me :(

and what about Danganronpa

they are mystery mixed with a little bit of horror …

I hated both with a passion, and I like mysteries.

One of my top games of last year was Paradise Killer, which is absolutely a mystery solving game and has no danger or fail states whatsoever. However, it does use FPS controls, and it has a very…distinct…aesthetic.

Overboard is the opposite (a mystery hiding game), but might scratch the same itches. You uncover secrets about the other characters as you go, and aim at an ideal solution.

KONA is pretty good, though the protagonist is a middle-aged detective so dunno if that will appeal. You have to shoot a pistol in the air to scare off some wolves, and there’s a very unfortunate chase sequence right at the end but otherwise it might fit the bill. On sale for pennies every so often.

Haha, I’m loving this thread! Adding one of my favorites, Virginia.

Life is Strange and What Remains of Edith Finch would be the 2 that spring to mind. I haven’t finished Call of the Sea yet, but it looked neat.

Same for Tell Me Why (by the makers of Life is Strange) which had an interesting mystery admit what happened a long time ago. But I haven’t finished it yet either. So I can’t comment on whether it holds up.

Oh, I still haven’t played this! Thanks for the reminder. I bought it at the same time as Hypnospace Outlaw, which I also still need to play. Too many games etc.

Edit: I’ll add to the chorus of praise for Soma. It’s one of my all-time favourites too!

You mentioned that she loved Until Dawn but has she played the successor, Dark Pictures: Man of Medan?

Paradise looks right up my alley, and I’ve never heard of it - thanks for the rec!

I don’t know if this is normal, but Soma is at 90% for the Steam Summer Sale as well.

I watched the first hour of the playthrough of Soma on youtube and I have to say I would never play this - there’s no way I’d experience anything except a desperate need for it to be over. On the other hand, it’s quite a fun watch from a sort of thriller movie perspective. The story’s not all that interesting so far though. Easy to imagine it working well as an arty netflix scifi drama with two actors ;)

When you asked for games I immediately thought of this. A fun, spoopy game that is mysterious. Also only 3 smackers on the summer sale.

Oxenfree for 70% off? Everyone should play this.

Also I see Obra Dinn just went on sale, so I’m going in…

I’ll never understand how that initial ‘you’re not in Kansas anymore’ moment in Soma can’t be anything but utterly gripping! But I’m a man who was hopelessly in Outer Wilds’ thrall within seconds of waking up.