Lord of the Rings: Gollum - Styx, but Gollum

Yeah, that was great.

I feel tempted to post a link myself, but only because it’s what I expected to see behind one of those many links.

I ain’t clicking on any of that shit.

That’s because you don’t have enough time on your hands.

He’s just a blue collar man.

Certainly looks gorgeous.

I really like the idea of the split personality, and the adventure being about stealth and puzzles. Boss fights being puzzles sounds right for Gollum.

I didn’t see it mentioned in the thread, but why no Andy Serkis for voicing Gollum?

Isn’t this totally separate from the movies and only connected to/licensed from the books (and loosely at that), or am I thinking of something else? I didn’t actually read the Eurogamer article. Maybe I’m mixing it up with something I read about the Amazon show. Regardless, I’m sure Serkis wouldn’t be cheap, if he was even available.

He does voice work in the new Warhammer game. :)

Probably something else.

“The Lord of the Rings: Gollum, based on the legendary The Lord of the Rings trilogy of books by JRR Tolkien, tells of Gollum’s experiences from behind-the-scenes in the first chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring,” writes Daedalic. "After losing his precious ring to Bilbo Baggins, Gollum decides to leave the Misty Mountains and embark on a perilous journey that leads him from the dungeons of Barad-dûr to the realm of the Wood-elves in Mirkwood.

No, I think that supports what I was trying to say. I don’t think it’s connected to the films. Obviously it’s about the same Gollum, the same events, all that stuff. But it’s not using the same specific artistic interpretations from the films. The logo isn’t going to look the same, Gandalf won’t look like Ian McKellan, it’s not going to reference the film scores, etc.

Edit:

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum takes its inspiration from Tolkien’s books, not the movies, so don’t expect any Hollywood movie star likenesses here. For more, check out Edwin’s feature on how Lord of the Rings: Gollum reclaims the Middle-earth from before the movies.

German outlet Gamestar did a pay-walled preview based on 22 minutes of gameplay they got to see - and it apparently was rather underwhelming.

Sorry, I was just disagreeing with it only loosely being based on the books. Not about it not being based on the films.

Ah, understood now!

Oh shit. Nazgul at the end of that trailer. Nazgul from the books are super scary. This game is based off the books.

(Nazgul in the Fellowship movie were really weak. They shit their pants at the first site of fire).

In the book Aragron didn’t even have a “sword”, only the shards of Narsil, and used only fire.

Fun fact: All four Hobbits were unbeknownst armed with Daggers of Westernesse given to them by Tom Bombadil curtesy of their misadventure in the Barrow-downs. These were weapons made during the earlier Third Age to specifically challenge the Witch King of Angmar! Talk about a missed opportunity.

Fast forward to Merry finally putting his dagger to work on the Pelennor.

The timeline of the game seems like after he lost the ring in The Hobbit and is searching for it, up to at least his capture in Mordor, but the hair is throwing me off.

He is also caught by Aragon afterwards in the Dead Marshes and dragged all the way to and imprisoned in The Woodland Realm (Northern Mirkwood). His escape prompts Legolas to go to Rivendell…

The Styx sequel is currently on sale for $4. I’m tempted, but I didn’t finish the first game. Lost interest about halfway through.

Delayed by “a few months” according to an official notice.