Lords of the Fallen: a "dark fantasy action RPG" and reboot of the 2014 game

The game needs a proper thread for the … remake? reboot?. Before we posted a few times in the other Lords of the fallen game (2014)
https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/dark-souls-for-whimps-like-me-lords-of-the-fallen/73794/237

Some youtubers (and journalists) have the full games and are playing it

This is the latest trailer, with a good overview of the game

Looks right up my strassé. Looking forward to playing this one.

From what I’ve seen so far…

• The devs really nailed the visual design and the two-world mechanic. Reminded me strongly of Soul Reaver, with the interaction mechanics between the two worlds giving an additional twist to the old formula.
  • Character movement seems crisp and responsive for once. And I do dig that the running speed is somewhere near the level of small blue birds that go “Meep Meep”.
  • Combat seems interesting enough, with a few interesting twists on parry and dodge (default sidestep/double tap to roll, also block and parry “withering” your health and forcing you to attack to get it back.
    Of Course, this was the part where most of the dumb soulsbro hottakes came up.
  • Flying 1h/2h stance switch, interweaving magic and ranged attacks seamlessly is an awesome concept. There also seem to be quite a variety of “default” moves per weapon set.
  • Quite a few of the streamers whose opinions I respect mentioned it “feels” good to play. This is of course subjective, but it’s a good sign so far.

From the more toxic pits of the web, there are complaints about:

• the “horrible, terrible, catastrophic and plain awful” sound design (eh, yeah, whatever…),
  • Performance (where so far the streamers had rather few, but hey, stream data compression is a harsh mistress)
  • Dated graphics (contact an optometrist…does https://imgur.com/a/iylmG1i look dated or bad by any measure? Or is this merely my “grew up back in the analog age”-ass being a dazzled by mediocre modern visuals?)
  • And, of course, the two most egregious crimes of them all: “iT’s NoT 100% LiKe eLdEn rInG”, followed by “bUt ThEy dIdN’t ReInVeNt ThE sOuLsLiKe gEnRe”.

Ahum. Ceterum autem censeo Fora Vaporis esse delendam.

Well, my preorder is in. I’ll let you know how I feel once the first boss ground my face into the dirt a few dozen times.

I’m the kind of guy who likes watching Souls-like game instead of playing them. While I understand the appeal of beating a tough boss, I would personally hate going through that. But for some reason, I don’t mind watching someone else going thru the process.
As a result, kI’ve been watching Cohh Carnage play this in advance of the game launch. Some of the cutscenes seem to end at weird moments (you’re like…“that’s it?”) also, performance seems not great on some portions of the cutscenes. Gameplay performance seems fine.

The two-world and switching between them seems like a really interesting mechanic.

But one of my overall impressions is that this game is so complicated and has so many different keystrokes, I don’t think I would be able to keep track of them all. So I’m glad to watch someone else do it.

Seems like a pretty good AA title if you enjoy souls-like games.

So this is crazy. Apparently this is getting a reboot already, instead of a sequel.

More details here:

“The Lords of the Fallen is the spiritual successor fans of the original title have always wanted,” said Virtosu. “The game is significantly larger, with a vast, interconnected dual world split between the realms of the living and dead, that players can explore alone or with friends. It’s darker and more challenging, with faster soulslike combat, stronger thematic, richer narrative, deeper RPG systems, and more immersive storytelling.”

Gameplay trailer coming later this year.

So the first game was Lords of the Fallen, and this is “The Lords of the Fallen”.

If it actually has all those changes it could play like a whole new game.

Edit: They dropped “The” from the name, so it’s the same now as the original game.

Lots of new details about the new game in this new preview.

Too many to summarize. Just read it. I’m kind of confused by some of it. Like the description of the Umbral world that co-exists with the real world of the game? They added two new classes compared to the original, the game’s not a sequel but not a remake. There’s all kinds of stuff in there.

Geez, was that game successful enough to merit a remake? I remember it being like a 7/10 game that sold OK, not some blockbuster hit. Also, it was fairly recent.

It was a decent game, not great. It was just instantly compared to Dark Souls.

Wasn’t Lords of the Fallen like the first soulslike/souls-clone game to release? Now there’s like dozens of them, and I won’t touch any of them. I’d just rather re-play a FromSoft game with a different build.

Yeah, it was decent. It wasn’t amazing and it was not a huge hit so I’m surprised instead of just making an improved sequel, they’re just remaking it. That’s just baffling, and lousy business planning.

Well, if you read the preview, you’ll see, it’s not a remake. But it’s not a sequel either. There’s more classes, it’s a lot bigger than the original, it has a whole new underworld that exists at the same time as the overworld or something. It’s quite a bit different. It sounds neat.

It’s an upgrade. I will wait for some reviews knowing that the DS crowd will hate it.

A large portion of the DS crowd hates everything, including DS games, other games, themselves.

I’m a DS nut and I loved LotF. In some ways it was superior to DS.

That is really the thing. Too many people went in thinking it would be DS and didn’t accept that it was it’s own thing. It has been awhile but I remember there being things I liked about it. I also remember hating something about the final boss. But I would definitely give the developers another chance.

You’re in luck, they went on to make The Surge and The Surge 2.

Are those any good? I think I almost bought one of them in a sale and then chickened out.

Very good, imho! Especially liked the 2nd.

Be warned, it is quite hard.