Lost

This is better. At least better than Smallville was last year.

According to the shows producers it deffinitely isn’t dinosaurs, and is supposed to be something scientifically plausable. My bet is on something from the Ice Age that’s supposed to be extinct, a Giant Sloth, Giganotpithicus, or something like that.

Am I the only one that thought it sounded robotic?

It definitely had a metallic sound to it, but like all fiction it doesn’t have to be plausible. They could just be throwing in weird sounds to make you THINK it’s a giant robot, when in reality it’s a three-inch tall talking muskrat.

That’s still a dinosaur though, isn’t it (I mean effectively)? I’ve seen the show labeled “sci-fi” which leads me to think it isn’t natural. And I agree that it sounds like a machine of some sort. However, the way the pilot was grabbed was very animal like. What is odd to me is that the pilot wasn’t eaten. He was just killed and left in a tree. That’s telling, isn’t it?

If you ask me, it sounded like the air horn sirens that Half-life plays to see if your system is configured for sound when you first install.

What made what I have seen of Lost so far (just the initial show) more than just another generic pilot were the actors I liked from other shows, even if they didn’t feature that much:

Daniel Dae Kim - This guy has been in a lot of shows. As one of the IMDB comments says, he’s giving Kevin Bacon a run for his money (in theory, if not in practice). Although he seems to be playing some 1950’s Japanese husband cliche.

Terry O’Quinn - Big fan of his work in Millenium. The only time I laughed in the pilot was when he smiled at the woman which was a really surreal moment.

However, Lost reminded me of Earth 2. I was just waiting for the obstinate self-serving man to be introduced who would screw everyone over to improve his personal chances. In fact, Daniel Dae Kim’s character reminded me of him, from what I have seen so far. Writing this reminds me of Dr Smith from that quaint American sci-fi whatever it was called.

Its strange, since I knew it was from the creator of Alias and Felicity, I found myself waiting for the luggage actor (Greg Grunberg) Abrams cast in both to appear and I wasn’t disappointed, where he appeared as a pilot.

Just some thoughts,

Ha ha I did the same thing. “Hey, it’s Greg! Oh, oh well…” It’s too bad they didn’t put the actress who played his weird girlfriend from Felicity; she hot, yo.

I enjoyed tonight’s second episode also. Any half decent drama beats the “reality” crap all to hell!!

Just let me know, when they unveil the “creature”, if its a man in a giant rubber suit. I’ll sit in on that.

Oh, the Godzilla thread is in the other forum.

Word my friend, especially in last nights episode.

Word my friend, especially in last nights episode.[/quote]

luckily for us who missed the pilot ep, they are re-showing it saturday.

Word my friend, especially in last nights episode.[/quote]

Is she the skinny girl who took her clothes off in the water or the skinny girl who wore a bikini? Either way, I am not impressed. Do any of these actresses eat?

Oh, and I agree with demagogues point about the characters. The casting is good but the characters are VERY stereotypical so far. I mean the rockstar does drugs? The Oriental guy is a chauvinist? The pregnant girl is obsessed with her baby? The rich girl has had a cushy life and is deniable about the situation? Ugh…cliche after cliche. Even the attempts to avoid cliche (the hunky doctor guy, who is strong AND smart) end up being cliched. I do, however, find the Arab guy interesting. He’s a unique character, and I like the actor playing him.

The tattoo could probably be assumed to be a reference to how he deals with fear. He told the story about only allowing himself to be afraid for 5 seconds, then moving on and doing what needs to be done.

[size=6]SPOILERS IN THIS POST IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE SECOND EPISODE YET
[/size]
Half way through the first episode, up until they actually showed the doctor’s flashback to the plane crash, I was cooking up theories about how he was never on the plane, that he’d been on the island already for some reason. That theory got shot down of course, but I did correctly guess that the chick would be the prisoner (after briefly thinking it was gonna be the crazy old bald backgammon guy). Anyone else got theories they’re entertaining for any of the characters?

Or theories on the obvious questions, like what a polar bear was doing in the woods?

We’ll know after they see the pope as well.

Shitting, of course.

She’s the one who took her clothes off in the water. I think she’s attractive because she’s not one of those top heavy types. She’s pert and athletic looking. As far as stereotypes, I think that’s a common device in order to establish character quickly and move onto action and conflict.

I don’t think Lost is going to be a character driven show, I think it’s going to be group conflict set amongst a lot of running from some big scary thing. Some of ther other stuff I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, for example the “rich” girl. After being in a jet that fell apart in mid-air and landing on an unknown island somewhere with no sign of civilization, yah some people might be in denial. I don’t think it’s stereotypical for a pregnant girl to be obsessed about her baby. I think most pregnant women do think a lot about their baby. At least my wife did. Is that atypical?

You’re right in that the show is using some stereotypes but I’m looking on the bright side…it’s throwing in some interesting stuff and the asian guy hasn’t had to karate chop anyone yet.

Theories ahead: if you haven’t seen Ep #2, please move right along.

I’m guessing the polar bear is from a government or corporate research project gone awry, a la Far Cry (and dozens of others games and movies). I’d guess we end up with a research station where the broadcasts are coming from, all the inhabitants (except for possibly one or two mad scientist types) long since dead, and giant polar bears (and pehaps other creatures) running amuck around the island.

I’m also guessing the crazy patriot guy who killed the polar bear has some kind of interesting back story, too. Who the hell stands there and looses rounds at something he can’t see charging down at him wth a frickin’ pistol? I mean, granted, a .45 has lots of stopping power, but against a giant rampaging polar bear?

ever read "sphere"by the guy who wrote jurassic park (i know him but can’t spell the last name)? assholes, while assholey, tend not to crack in stressful situations.

the wash in the surf chick is hot cause she’s a competent woman of actionand not wishy-washy or a woman of action that totally screws up and needs to be rescued.

Yeah, I’m waiting for the Trigens to show up any second now, but this is the sweet spot for a series like this: they’ve given us just enough right now to set our imaginations wild on possibilities before it’s ultimately revealed that the story is something lame like Abandoned Top Secret Government Research Cliche # 561.