LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

I just read some Mordor reviews and found one with tons of fantastic screenshots. Spoiler stuff probably. They convinced me to download LOTRO again. :)

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?657233-Mordor-Mind-blown-My-Review

Bottom of page 2 & page 3 has more pictures.

It looks even worse than the Mordor I imagined reading the books 30 years ago, in a great way.

Gorgeous, can’t wait to get there.

And welcome back!

Anecdote incoming… I started a LOTRO game ages ago, I think I played a dwarf or hobbit… pretty early in the game there was a dwarf settlement or something where there must have been a dozen of dwarves hanging around very lazy…
They gave me some quests, and something clicked in my brain, wtf, why you lazy dwarves, do this stuff yourself and I stopped playing… are those little effers still hanging around and waiting for someone to come by and do their work ??

Ha! They are indeed.

When I was running around earlier this year “closing out” all the Eriador zones, finishing off quest lines and completing deeds, I would occasionally need to visit some pretty remote NPCs and areas to get certain things completed. It dawned on me that with very few actual new players coming into the game, and most existing players using the instant level-up items to make their newly created characters high level, there are places in the game that I was visiting that might not have seen an actual player character in months or even longer.

It made me feel bad for the NPCs. Do they get lonely? When we’re not around do they have conversations?

“Hey, Nildor, remember that Champion guy that came through here last month, the one that ran all our quests?”
“Yeah. I still have the Bracers of Might and the 23 broken short bows he sold me. What the hells am I supposed to do with 23 broken short bows? Why did I even buy these?”
“He was a good guy. I wonder what happened to him? What do you think he’s doing right now?”
“Probably got eaten by a dragon. Now shut up, here comes Florii, by Durin’s beard she’s a looker!”
“Give it up Nildor! It’s been 10 years and you’ve gotten nowhere with her, she’s just not into you!”

BLACK FRIDAY WEEKEND SALE in the LOTRO Marketplace.

Get 85% off expansions (excepting Mordor) through Monday:

• Helm’s Deep expansion for only $6.00
  • Riders of Rohan expansion for only $3.00
  • Rise of Isengard expansion for only $3.00
  • Mines of Moria expansion for only $3.00
  • Siege of Mirkwood expansion for only $1.50

Basically you can get all the pre-Mordor expansions plus 1000 LOTRO points (included in Helm’s Deep) for $16.50. That is a STEAL for anyone considering a return to Middle Earth.

A super steal OMG.

I may pick up a couple of these. I don’t have a character aBove 53, but rewatching the movies has made me want to get back into this.

I was going to pick up those expansions, but then I looked and saw I somehow already had them. From the giveaway thread in the past, maybe?

How can I tell what I already have without reinstalling?

myaccount.turbine.com still works.

This. Simply login with the same username and pw as you do for LOTRO and the resulting page will list all the content you are licensed for (all the main game and expansions).

Also, for those who had been waiting to purchase Mordor with LOTRO points it is now available in the store within the game. 2495 points for the base expansion, and another 1000 if you also want the High Elf character race. Not a bad deal for subscribers and lifetimes who have been saving up their 500 point monthly stipend.

Thanks, guys. That worked.

Thanks for the heads up. Just bought the Mordor expansion and the race. Figured the latter was a good pairing with the LM class, the only one I never played.

Wow, somehow I didn’t have Siege of Mirkwood. yoink

I haven’t checked there for years. Oddly, it doesn’t show my Mordor expansion purchase. I imagine their back office is pretty much nonexistent now, hope I don’t run into trouble once I get there !

Weird, I had the lifetime membership and it doesn’t show up…wonder if it was a different login…

I have a lifetime membership and the myaccount.turbine site does not, and has never, indicated as such. In fact, it says I have a trial membership, whatever that means. Despite that listing, I never had a problem in game being considered a lifetime member.

At least for me, the game and all of the SSG websites are down tonight as of about 7 pm EST. Nothing new on their Facebook or Twitter. I’ve recently thought that they may just shut the door and leave with no warning. Either that’s happening or their community relations is as bad as I’ve come to believe it is…given it’s a Saturday night on a holiday weekend and all.

Maybe it’s just my connection and all.

All up for me.

Weird. Guess it is me.