LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

Yup, weird.

“We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later.”

Also getting a security/date warning from firefox on the myaccount page.

@tomchick I logged in a few years ago with an account that I created maybe 10 years prior to that. I’m not sure if it was LOTRO or a different game but with one of these jobbers I had used an email address that I no longer had access to, so I ended up having to email customer service to work things out. I was able to verify my identity so they updated the email address and I was good to go. Come to think of it I believe that was GuildWars 2. Regardless, my turbine account was good and fortunately I had the credential saved somewhere so I was able to retrieve them. So I’m pretty sure your account still exists it’s just a matter of figuring things out. Does turbine still have customer service reps?

Turbine is long gone from LOTRO. Standing Stone does have CS reps, nominally, but reports are it can take weeks or months to hear from them.

Well, as far as I’m concerned it’s always gonna be Turbine! But it does suck with respect to no CS reps (though honestly not a surprise).

I think the problem is that I had a press account for LOTRO, and there was some weird bookkeeping involved. I’m guessing that’s the hitch. I’ve filled out a customer support ticket, so I figure that should eventually fix things. My only concern is that maybe my characters were wiped somewhere along the line.

-Tom

I don’t think they ever wiped characters, but you’ll have to hunt on a few servers for them. There are a lot fewer servers today compared to the game’s popularity peak, so shouldn’t take too long.

I had a press account also for both LOTRO and DDO. The comped portion of my LoTRO account went away when I bought an expansion.

Oddly, the DDO comped account survived all the transitions. Last time I checked I had an amazing amount of Turbine points on it.

Nah - If you had a character on a server that does not exist anymore, you hit “transfer” and you select where you characters should go. They are in a limbo, so to speak, until you designate a new home for them.

Tom

I had a terrible time getting my old account back, but it turned out (at least for me) to be user error – I had other account names and passwords.

I finally got my original account… I don’t think --maybe some could chime in --that the LOTR new server management (meaning consolidation) affected that. I still had my main characters on Brandywine

Brandywine survived the consolidation, so any characters there should still be there.

Nimrodel did not survive the consolidation, and characters (like mine) had to be transferred. From what I understand those characters are still in storage but transfers have been unavailable for months.

I created my current main, Slainte, when we all re-started together years ago with new characters for the Knights of the Quarter To Three (that was so much fun!). I can’t recall if we did that on Nimrodel or Arkenstone, as Arkenstone is where I am at now. I don’t recall choosing to transfer there, so maybe that is where the guild restarted, or maybe we all got moved there during the consolidations.

In any event, there is a decent KotQtT presence on Arkenstone still, though many have not been seen in ages. If you do get your account access worked out with SSG (they’re good guys, it just takes them a while to get through all the support requests, as I think there are only two or three people handling them), you may find your characters are already there.

I am so tempted to get back into this… but I’ve been away for so long I’m sure there’s been numerous changes/tweaks/nerfs which will necessitate relearning the game from scratch.

Just start a new player. The new player experience is pretty fun.

Glad to hear it. I filed the ticket on Friday and still haven’t heard back from anyone. I guess they don’t work on weekends.

Unfortunately, I needed to get back in for something that will be moot tomorrow. :( But when and if things do get sorted out, it would be cool to duck back into the game and have a look around again. I wonder how it holds up next to more modern MMOs.

-Tom

That really is the best way to get back into an MMO, isn’t it? Trying to pick up with an advanced character is just asking for frustration. That’s almost always the exact wrong way to relearn a game.

-Tom

Especially for Wardens, whom have to chain skills in a specific order in order to unlock other skills for a limited amount of time!

One thing that will help make the game look a little bit less dated is to use Reshade to improve the graphics somewhat.

If you want a fun easy class, go Hunter.
The RuneKeeper is also fun, lighting build, you just go around like Mortal Kombat/Big Trouble in little China and killing everything while constantly running and jumping (why, because you can.)

Yeah… I always end up with a lot of skills I have no idea how to use. But then, after 50-odd levels, I am not really in the mood to start over.

So what you do is start a new character, get the ropes, and when it all comes back to you, return to your level 50 character.

Quite well thanks to the recent 64-bit client overhaul and the improved graphics. LOTRO’s strength was always in it’s storytelling and the feeling of being immersed in the same Middle Earth you dreamed about while reading the books and saw brought to life in the movies. That hasn’t changed one bit, and while some of the UI elements and gameplay mechanics certainly show their age, much of it has been fine tuned over the past 12 years to keep LOTRO at least somewhat modernized without losing that hook that originally made it such a joy to play.

I find myself going back at least once per year, and every time I do I get hooked again for a couple of months at least. I’ve been feeling the urge to play again lately, and actively ignoring it because I know if I do, I will abandon my current games and I don’t want to have to feel like I’m choosing. Gamer problems…the struggle is real. ;-)