Low headset mic sensitivity in Windows 11, how to fix?

To my dismay I cannot set my headset mic record level in Windows high enough for anyone to hear me in an online game, for instance.

The case is an NZXT H7 Flow with one output+record 3.5 mm jack.

I’ve updated the Realtek Audio drivers, gone into the sound control panel, made sure the record levels for the mic were at 100% and I even set it at 30% boost, yet still, when I tested it in Windows speaking at a normal volume, the bar barely budged above the minimum.

I’ve tested the headset (a Sennheiser of fairly recent vintage) on my phone which happens to have a headphone jack, and set it to do dictation in a post and the headset mic picked up every word.

Any ideas? Is this a known problem with Windows 11?

Can you check the header cable connections for the case audio jack to the motherboard? Is this a prebuilt or your own? Do other headset/mics work on the same input?

This never gave me good input for my Panasonic headset that i do use on occasion. I solved the problem with a USB external adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM883BK

And…resolved–the following is from my similar thread on ArsTechnica, so you guys don’t make the same mistake as I made:

But here’s where I admit to “operator error.” I hadn’t understood that when I plugged the three striped plug into the one jack in front, and it asked me did I just plug a mic in first, and then asked me did I just plug some headphones in second, that I was supposed to answer yes both times. That’s why it wasn’t working.

Yesterday when I was messing around with it, I thought I had to update the Realtek drivers from the Realtek site. That only made things worse. So today I used ASUS’s Armoury Crate software to reinstall the drivers that it said were the right ones for my motherboard, said yes both times when I plugged in the jack, and everything worked.

Coming back to this thread, though, to say that occasionally I’ll plug in the headset and get no Realtek dialogues about what I’ve plugged in, and the headphones don’t work at all in cases like that. Yesterday that happened after I updated the Nvidia drivers.

I fix all my realtek soundcard problems by buying external $10 cards

That’s one strategy, I suppose. What company’s hardware is in those cards?

In any case, a quick restart (very quick, since my new PC has only m.2 NVMe storage) fixes it. If I knew the exact things to restart in Services.msc I’d do that instead.