Mad Max: Fury Road

There’s a moment in AvP right after the scene in which the predator ritually scars the heroine, when they sort of nod to each other before running off to battle the alien, that I thought was going to have them lean in and kiss each other. They gaze at each other and it’s almost right there. A passionate kiss.

Man, that would’ve made the movie worth it. All the other stupid shit would’ve been okay, if they had gone for that scene.

Just give me a kiss!

Finally saw the movie. Best way to describe it would be a visual feast. Very creative action and landscapes. Clean cinematography (picture a Michael Bay version of this film, now stop before you give yourself a seizure), and just an overall enjoyable film.

Liking this a lot but is it true that to see project parts on the map you physically have to go to that part of each stronghold and turn them on for that project only?

That’s a bit painful :(

I think you meant to post this in the thread about the game, right? This is about the latest movie. And yes, that is a rather painful feature of the game. On the other hand, if you do the survey crew project first, you can hover over the location icons and see if they have uncollected project parts for all the projects. I’m still looking for car bodies, myself. I have most of them but not all.

Ha - so I did :)

So, according to Miller they’re currently chatting with Warner Bros. about which of the two Mad Max scripts/stories that were already developed will be done next.

“We were then rained out of Australia,” Miller said. “The desert rained for the first time in 15 years, and we ended up in South West Africa, Namibia. But in this process, we had dug down deep into the backstory, not only of the characters, but of every vehicle. How the steering wheels became religious artefacts and things like that.

“So we ended up with two scripts, without really trying,” he added. “We’re talking to the studio [Warner Bros] about it as we speak, but which one of the two stories will happen next, I’m not so sure.”

(Note: yes, the point that they’ve outlined two more stories during the preparation for MM: Fury Road is widely known and was already covered in this thread.)

However, it’s unlikely to be Miller’s next movie.

Miller said, however, that before he makes the next Mad Max installment, he needs something a little less… frenetic. “I want to do a small film without special effects before I do any of that, just to do it quickly,” he said. “We shot Fury Road for eight months… that’s a lot. Every day in the heat and the dust, doing these stunts, it’s very wearing. We’ve got two more planned, but at some point in the future.”

I finally saw this and loved it. I can’t wait for the sequels.

The one thing I did not care for was the day for night stuff which I actually found distracting. Maybe it’ll play better in the black and white version, but to me it just looked like broad daylight with an extremely vivid blue filter over it. I think it would have been better if the night scenes were darker and a bit more realistically colored. A night chase lit more by scores of headlights, flamethrowers, and explosions.

National Board of Review says this is the best film of 2015.

Full list of winners:

Best Film: “Mad Max: Fury Road”
Best Director: Ridley Scott, “The Martian”
Best Actor: Matt Damon, “The Martian”
Best Actress: Brie Larson, “Room”
Best Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone, “Creed”
Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Jason Leigh, “The Hateful Eight”
Best Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino, “The Hateful Eight”
Best Adapted Screenplay: Drew Goddard, “The Martian”
Best Animated Feature: “Inside Out”
Breakthrough Performance: Abraham Attah, “Beasts of No Nation” and Jacob Tremblay, “Room”
Best Directorial Debut: Jonas Carpignano, “Mediterranea”
Best Foreign Language Film: “Son of Saul”
Best Documentary: “Amy”
William K. Everson Film History Award: Cecilia De Mille Presley
Best Ensemble: “The Big Short”
Spotlight Award: “Sicario” for outstanding collaborative vision
NBR Freedom of Expression Award: “Beasts of No Nation” and “Mustang”

They’re completely 100% correct.

I liked The Martian, but there’s no way in hell it’s better directed than Fury Road. Spreading the love around, I guess.

Anyway, well deserved for Fury Road. Here’s hoping there’s many more such awards in the months to come.

I disagree for Abraham Attah, but that seems to be a “me” problem.

Can’t agree more. No matter what one feels direction means, there’s no single aspect of Fury Road that is handled more competently or organically in The Martian. I could see stuff like Sicario competing, since it incorporates subtleties Fury Road can’t as a more straightforward action movie (there’s a single shot in Sicario that is the best shot I’ve seen in all year), but The Martian?

Which shot? So many were beautifully framed with great use of color.

Maybe the shot of characters silhouetted as they descended into the abyss? Or the shadow of the plane passing over the scrubland…

That one. Amazing shot, emotional and metaphorical at the same time, and not flashy at all.

So, I guess George Miller uses a magic 8 ball to determine his answer every time someone asks him about another Mad Max. Just a few days ago he was mentioning that they’re in talks with Warner Bros. about another movie, possibly the one with Furiosa. Now we’re at “I’m done.”

Mad Max: Fury Road was announced as the best-reviewed film of 2015 by the website Rotten Tomatoes, and is also gunning for Oscars glory. But the director George Miller has signalled that it will be his final film of the long-running dystopian saga.

Speaking at the Golden Globes, Miller told the New York Post’s Page Six column that a troubled production process on the much delayed Fury Road had convinced him never to return to the dusty badlands of post-apocalyptic Australia. “I won’t make more Mad Max movies,” the newspaper quotes Miller as declaring. “I’ve shot in Australia in a field of wildflowers and flat red earth when it rained heavily forever. We had to wait 18 months and every return to the US was 27 hours. Those Mad Maxes take forever. I won’t do those any more.”

FYI, this hit HBO this weekend, and I saw it for the first time.

Wow… just wow. Incredible film.

No more Mad Max might not be the worst thing. I mean, realistically how do you top Fury Road? Plus this leaves him more time to work on the next Babe movie.

I remember having this discussion with a friend after seeing the movie, and he said they were working on a sequel, maybe with Furiosa. And I was like “why?” Her story was told, and it was amazing. I was hoping they would have a Mad Max “wanderer” thing going on, finding a new and different set of people and stories for the new movie.

But, can’t really argue with Fury Road being the last one. So good.