Magic: The Gathering Arena - Another MtG video game

Free gold day!

That’s stupidly annoying,but I can’t say I’m surprised. If you care enough you can probably get support to reset your progress on the intro stuff. Or just make a new account, if you haven’t bought anything else

Yeah, I created a new account. I hadn’t bought anything, but I had entered some codes. But that was a while back so most of the stuff I got from those codes isn’t really playable anymore anyway.

Holy smokes Magic cards have gotten complicated. I was vaguely aware of Planeswalkers, which are already too complicated, and now what the heck are Sagas? I just played a match where I had no idea what was going on. Madness.

Edit: Double-Faced cards? What the heck is going on?

Oh Magic peaked in 1997 or so, you’re not wrong.

I try to play this occasionally, and I still like it, but man… There are so many weird things going, and no explanation for it anywhere (Unless of course you hunt down online videos I guess).

I really just want to play a Magic game once in a while, but this seems like an all in or get out hobby right now.

The yearly core sets are much less full of nonsense than the themed expansions. You may like those better?

Planeswalkers are still an abomination though.

FYI, Arena is running an event called “Into the Future” right now (Mar 17-19) that’s free to play featuring some pre-con decks using the new Alchemy cards. Alchemy is an abomination that’s basically an entirely new game using digital-only cards, but hey, it’s free and is a good way to try out all the Alchemy crap without spending any money or effort on getting the cards.

Thanks Adam, I appriciate your answer.

Unfortunately, I am also very confused about the ten gazillion different options on how to play. For instance, I sligtly understand what you suggest, but I dont know how to actually do it!

There’s an event going on right now called Mixed-Up Sealed that’s nearly free - 100 gold per entry and you get that 100 gold back if you win at least one game before losing three. It’s extremely random, using a sealed deck pool with everything on Arena, but if you like limited play then it’s an almost-free opportunity to play. Not sure how long it runs, might be around all weekend if mtgazone has it right.

This is the most fun I’ve had with MTG Arena since I started playing. It has the fun factor of limited plus cards I don’t see in standard PLUS the thrill of opening packs PLUS it’s basically free to play as long as you eke out one win. I love it. I would play this even if it cost gold (e.g. 100 gold for three wins) but as is it’s perfect.

Yeah, it’s pretty fun…though, as with all of these kinds of events, it’s very slow. Everyone has to read all your cards they’ve never seen or have forgotten, and all their cards. Every match takes 20 minutes.

PSA - store special today is free gold.

For anyone who didn’t go to a prerelease, here’s some codes for free packs. Only one allowed per account.

Thanks, I redeemed the top code. I guess the packs unlock in a few days…

Now that I have MTGArena installed again, I remember why I stopped playing the first time. There’s no low-fee option to play games without keeping cards. I really just want to do limited drafts. I’m left thinking MTG Online remains the way to go for that, with its tradeable items. I can purchase event tickets or trade the cards I draft for them.

The cost to enter makes me feel it’s not worth doing so until I get comfortable with the current sets. I don’t want to play constructed, so I don’t get comfortable with the current sets. Catch 2/2.

I redeemed card #2, thanks a bunch!

Yep, this is me as well.

I snagged the last one. Thank you, sir!

Streets of New Capenna is out! PLAYSNC is the code.

Looking through the new cards, there’s very little good for blue or black. I am crushed.

Embrace the multicolor! One color is so last week.