Mainstream Media

Never mind that the cloture vote failure was actually due to infighting among Republicans, and that 5 Dems actually voted for it.

Never mind that the Republicans were holding health care for kids hostage.

Never mind that Dems were defending the incredibly popular DREAMers, whom 75% of the public support.

Never mind that this kind of nonsense never happens when the Dems control Congress, but the GOP does it on a regular basis.

No, clearly the Democrats caused this.

If you ever wonder how we ended up in the sorry state we’re in now, just look at the NYT’s national political coverage during the last couple of decades. Starting with Gingrich the real news story about Congress has been that of one party going off the rails and becoming a rabble of radical extremists, nutjobs, and incompetents. Yet over at the Grey Lady, no mere facts will stop them from repeating the holy incantation day in and day out: both sides are the same.

Yep. I’ve come to despise the New York Times.

I’m getting closer to this. They’ve made a lot of head-scratching decisions over the past few years, and the frequency of them has seen a definite uptick.

Not even the term “fake news” is immune to fakery. According to a poll, 42% of Republicans and 17% of Democrats would use the term “fake news” to describe news WHICH THEY KNOW IS TRUE but casts their party or politicians in a bad light.

Not only is Trump destroying the United States government, he’s also destroying discourse (lower case, Wumpus). I honestly wonder if we will ever fix what he breaks.

Well, it was only about 1000 years from the burning of the library at Alexandria to the Renaissance, so stay optimistic!

Hasn’t there been a government shutdown under democratic control? I am pretty sure there has been.

To be honest that was broken long ago. Partisanship is the rule now, not the exception.

There’s some misleading info out there about the Carter Administration but those funding disputes didn’t result in a shutdown in the modern sense - nobody was sent home (something the linked article belatedly admits.) All the rest have been the result of disputes between Congress and a President of a different party.

To be fair, there were indeed a bunch of shutdowns during the Reagan era where the House and sometimes the Senate were controlled by Dems. All of those lasted less than a week, though. The multi-week shutdown era started with the second Gingrich one in '95, followed by the Boehner one in 2013.

So the period between is shortening. Reminds me of labor, except I’m not sure I’ll think whatever the country gives birth to will be all that cute.

I’m smarter than you. More powerful than you. I have more guns than you. More manpower. Your cast is about to get gunned down in a matter of hours.

Wew lad.

Yea, but he was stupid enough to put that in writing.

2016 and its fallout have made me realize Khan was right.

#AllThingsAreForetoldInTrek

The NYT and WaPo business sections continue their half-full/half-empty twitter war:

(both statements are true, BTW.)

It’s still a solid growth rate.
It’s just that Trump’s predictions were, expectedly, full of shit. You’re not gonna see stuff like 4 and 5% growth.

Yep! I’m not going to complain about 2.6%. I don’t credit Trump, but I’ll take that growth rate.

More perspective on the 2017 numbers:

To be fair though isn’t each job added past a certain point harder once employment reaches past a certain point? I.e. each job added at 25% unemployment is “more likely”, to use a very untechnical term, than each job at 2%.