Malwarebytes paid version?

I’m running Premium version 3.4.5, and it’s apparently only using 160 megs of ram (can that possibly be correct?) with real-time monitoring on.

This thread is what is keeping me from upgrading.

Don’t upgrade. I regret doing so.

I’m running 3.5.1 with all the real-time protections on. MBAMservice.exe is using 131MB, and mbamtray.exe is using 8.5MB.

I did a fresh install a couple of weeks ago (per upthread), not sure if that makes a difference.

Version 4.0 released yesterday

I was watching this Youtube video:

The prevention rate was disappointing, but the part that caught my attention was the presenter’s comment about Malwarebytes taking an unusually long time and using a lot of resources.

For the past several months I’ve been noticing hitching and stuttering in some games, particularly in older games where I expected better performance. I chalked it up to Windows 10 or my aging PC, but this video gave me an idea. I disabled Malwarebytes and ran some of the problematic games. Sure enough, the games ran smoothly. I haven’t done any FPS comparisions or such, but now I have to wonder if games in general would perform better when Malwarebytes is disabled.

So given the performance issues and the apparently sub-par protection, I uninstalled Malwarebytes. Currently I’m trying out the free version of Kaspersky’s AV, and it seems to be more gaming-friendly so far. Think I may buy a license, since they’re really cheap at the moment.

Just uninstall all of it. Windows defender is good enough by itself.

He has a video on Defender, you should watch it.

Who has the time to watch randos on the internet these days?

Agree with @legowarrior there. Don’t really want to watch videos. Give me an article or just tell me what’s good nowadays.

I miss articles. I don’t mind good podcasts, because you can listen to them while doing other thigs, but I just miss having articles that I can read through and search.

Everyone is making YouTube videos, but they either take to long or the information just isn’t so compelling that I have to drop everything to pay attention.

There are exceptions, like how to videos, but in general, most YouTube series are better as a podcast cast of an article.

I watched 3 of the guy’s videos on my long bus ride home: Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, and Kaspersky.

Malwarebytes (as already mentioned) and Defender failed miserably. Embarrassingly bad. Defender probably worse than Malwarebytes.

Kaspersky got 100% of the 1500(?) infections, but it was kind of slow he said. He used Hitman Pro to double check it because it’s reliable.

My Malwarebytes subscription is up in December. Looks like I am going to switch to Kaspersky or Hitman Pro. Maybe the latter because the whole Russia thing. Not sure.

As much as I didn’t want to watch 15 minute videos on computer security, that was actually pretty interesting, so thanks @J_Thomas.

Maybe the guy is a Russian intelligence agent.

Yeah, we have a thread about Kaspersky,

which includes a link to this article,

which includes this nifty excerpt:

The N.S.A. bans its analysts from using Kaspersky antivirus at the agency, in large part because the agency has exploited antivirus software for its own foreign hacking operations and knows the same technique is used by its adversaries.

“Antivirus is the ultimate back door,” Blake Darché, a former N.S.A. operator and co-founder of Area 1 Security. “It provides consistent, reliable and remote access that can be used for any purpose, from launching a destructive attack to conducting espionage on thousands or even millions of users.”

So Kaspersky made the headlines, but the NSA apparently does the same thing with other AV companies. And it could be happening in other countries as well. I still trust the AV software to protect my games, my prog metal collection, and my episodes of Rick and Morty, but I wouldn’t store top-secret documents on the same PC.

What if the PC were running Linux? I heard that Linux has less need for antivirus.

You can always add these games+game folders to be excluded from being scanned?

I recall this tidbit about NSA vs Kaspersky: One of the NSA leaks came from an analyst using the NSA tools on his come computer with Kaspersky installed – with “cloud analysis” activated, so that all the attack tools he had installed on his computer got sent for analysis, and thus “leaked”.

Trying out Sophos and it gave me a warning on Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. It gave a message that it was harmless, but quarantined it anyway. Maybe I will try out Kaspersky.

My feeling is that there are two metrics this sort of software needs to be evaluated on:

1. How likely it is to protect you from malware.
  2. How likely it is to be a bigger problem than the malware you probably aren’t ever going to get.

Defender may not perform as well on 1), but it’s the only one that doesn’t fail metric 2) hard as fuck.

If you watch the guys video mentioned above, Defender is barely doing #1, it was a cluster of errors and failures. For #2, I am not thrilled with Sophos saying a game is malware, but it was really easy to just tell it no. Using your criteria, 2 is more important than 1 for me.

Honestly, for paid apps, I have never had one fail #2 “hard as fuck.” For free, yeah, some of those are horrible.

I’ve had maybe two instances of malware in my entire computing life and both were 100% my fault for opening a thing that was clearly shady. Every anti-malware service I have ever tried has been highly over-aggressive and frequently caused technical problems to the point of being more like malware. Including fully paid Malwarebytes. There’s a reason game installers tell you to turn off antivirus software before you run them, and it’s not because those services are protecting you from a virus they’re trying to install.