Man of Medan - Until Dawn on a boat

I like all of them. I guess I’m easy… The more modern ones are the best co-op games that exist IMHO. Playing through the Quarry with my daughter was super fun. I need to go back to the other ones and finish them. I really wish they would update Until Dawn with the movie mode. :(

Quarry I think is the best of all their games. It’s just so much fun.

Is this local co-op? For some reason, I was led to believe there was no local co-op.

You would be wrong. It has one of the best co-op modes out there. In co-op mode you each get to pick which characters you play. You can even name it so it will say it’s X persons turn. It’s super fun as they may make choices you wouldn’t make.

So we both controlled like 3 characters each and it works out super well. Heck it would be even better if you had more people. Great party game. You can even make the settings easier per person. So if you have someone that likes horror but isn’t super good at games you can make the interactive parts easier. AKA my wife. ;)

Until Dawn is the only one in the series that doesn’t have this mode. And it makes me sad.

Edit:

that sounds intriguing, but I’m still a little lost. These are sort of cinematic survival horror, right? So you just switch off playing characters in the ‘movie’? How long is each person’s turn (while everyone else just watches?)? What happens when someone dies (as I assume they must from time to time), or fails their segment, or whatever? I think the anthology is still on sale for Halloween on Xbox…

I just tossed up a link in my Edit. Sometimes you can go a long while between playing depending on which characters you pick, but it never bothered us. If someone dies that player isn’t available anymore and you still play your remaining ones. We only killed a couple of people on our first run.

gotcha. I saw that one of them is an HH Holmes thing, and my gal is into that sort of true crime/podcast-y stuff, and her daughter has recently gotten into horror movies. Hmmm. Perhaps I’ll grab them, to have a backup plan in case the co-op Divinity 2 doesn’t work out when she’s laid up after surgery later this month.

I managed to get every single character killed when I played this game. I was kind of proud of that.

Thanks! That’s good to know!

I think it was Until Dawn I was investigating when I came to my conclusions about co-op. So all of the various Man of Medan etc. games also have the same co-op as The Quarry?

I believe only Until Dawn doesn’t have it. Man certainly does as I started it with my daughter, but then we got distracted. We’re too busy applying for college to do anything lately. Haven’t even watched 1 horror movie. :(

Yeah, I can vouch for couch co-op Quarry. Last October and November some friends and I played that way and had just about as much fun with it as I’ve had with videogames in a good while.

Some of the quicktime chase sequences are genuinely laugh out loud funny. Especially if you intentionally mess up and you have your young hot teen tripping over every tree root and low hanging branch. The game is very forgiving at the beginning, and it’s (usually) obvious when a certain scenario has stakes. That doesn’t stop you from accidentally getting people killed.

I’m still frustrated that there isn’t an easier way to restart certain acts and try different options. There was a certain sequence late in the Quarry that was especially obtuse (for me) and I had to reload multiple hours of work to replay that sequence 3 times and still couldn’t nail it, so I never got to see certain unique endings.

We only played through once with the strict rule of whatever happens, happens. It is dumb that once you beat the game if you want to go back it wipes your save. I guess it doesn’t really matter, but it made us not want to do it right away. My daughter failed a QT right near the end that killed one person and she was super upset about it.

Yea, I feel like once you beat the game you should be able to zip around as much as you like - but with the caveat that any choices made after the fact are wiped due to how the cause/effect of choices work. I was really shocked there wasn’t a solution for that, since the fans would probably eat that up.