Marvel Heroes

If you’re taking a ranged character into Cosmic Midtown then I’d say the closest to a required Omega spend would be all 10 points in Spintech, which is somewhere between 450 and 550 Omegas, I think? But to be honest, the gearing is more important. It’s going to depend on the character though. If you need Omegas to get 45+% Crit and 40%+ brutal then yeah, maybe that’s more important than I’m giving it credit for. If you can contribute & survive OK in Cosmic Midtown you’ll earn Omegas pretty swiftly though.

On the subject of melee characters in Cosmic Midtown however… my recent ventures with Hulk haven’t gone as well as I’d like, to be honest. Survival is so hard in there as melee, even properly geared etc.

Interesting note about today’s patch: Due to the current state of the complete Marvel universe in the comics, I believe today will be the first time you can play as the Marvel version of God. The God, that is. Rather than one of those lesser, Asgardian type gods. :)

All hail Doom.

Servers aren’t quite back up yet but the patch notes are, here. Apparently there’s a bug fix due tomorrow as well (there’s a list of some known issues at the bottom).

Taken from the patch notes, here’s what they have planned for this month (they’ve said they specifically wanted to have a more low key celebration than last year’s):

Week One (This Week):

Birthday Present! -- [B]Birthday Cake Mark 2[/B] Login Gift!
Dr. Doom is released
Thing’s Level 52 Design Review launches
Team-Up System 2.0 launches
Permanent Retcons are Permanent launches
The start of our Ascending Anniversary XP Bonus! 22% starting today and increasing by another 22% every day, resetting for the next week's patch!

Week Two

Birthday Present! -- [B]Free Hero of Your Choice (pre Doctor Doom)[/B]
Plus, [B]birthday cake slices drop[/B] and players can create more Birthday Cakes!

Week Three

Birthday Present! -- [B]Free New Surprise Pet[/B] for Everyone! Dance!
Plus, the return of COWPOCALYPSE
Plus, the biggest Play with Devs event yet!

Week Four

Birthday Present! -- [B]Free New Surprise Team-Up[/B] to Celebrate Team-Up Mark 2!
Plus, the return of the revamped A.R.M.O.R. Incursion Event!

Throughout the Month

Tuning Upgrades, More Unique Reviews, Bug Fixes, Quality of Life Stuff, Live Streams, server side exp boosts, another Team-Up from the Advance Pack, etc.

Hopefully those cake slices are the same as last year’s, because I have 240+ in my stash still!

Not listed: At least a week of seeing 9 Dooms for every other hero. :)

Holy shit, they did the teamup revamp already? That was easily my most anticipated major change in the works and in the past it seems like there’s been substantial lead time on that stuff. With achievements, almost two years worth of lead time.

Well, that’s a crazy number of changes. I’ll give them a few days to get the upcoming bug fix patch in, then it might be time to play Thing again.

Still laggy as heck for me. I’m afraid to do anything. Hoping this will smooth out by tomorrow.

Something that wasn’t mentioned above: you know how recently they made it so you could play any of the starter heroes up to level 10, even after you picked one to take all the way? Well, now you can do that with (almost) any hero in the game.

What happens at level 10 then? I’m interested in this game, but its so damn scary to load up and see ten gazillion things going on. I have a level 15 or so Scarlett Witch but would love to try another.

You basically just stop getting XP at level 10, so no more progress, until you unlock the hero by buying it (either with the in-game currency or with cash on their store).

I know this is easier said than done, but in my opinion you really need to get a hero or two up to level 60 in order to really get a feel for the game. A lot of the characters change drastically a couple of times during the leveling process as you get new and better powers, and then at 60 it’s really a very different play experience again.

Bob’s right about the need to see the game and individual characters at 60. However, you have a brilliant option right there in Scarlet Witch. As a ranged teleporter, even without good gear etc you can do at lot with her at 60.

I started with Scarlet Witch and Thing back in the day (later got Magneto and a second Thing token - ugh) so it’s nice to see that they’ve both been recently upgraded. How is new Thing supposed to be?

Haven’t tried the new version yet, but I have plans to. Every other reviewed hero has been pretty awesome so I have good expectations.

on paper new thing looks pretty amazing to me

Thanks guys - I tried it a bit, and its just not me it seems. I LOVE D3, and Path of Exile, but I just can’t find this interesting in any way. It seems to me, that every part of the game consists of me going to an area and killing mobs that keeps respawning in a limited and not very interesting area.

I’m sure I’m missing something, but the game looks quite bad to me, and not so much because of graphics, but because every single setting is so bland and uninspiring. There is no incentive to explore anything, because its all the same. This, combined with the ever present same enemies makes me bored within a few minutes.

Apologies if I seem to be attacking the game - I just don’t see the allure (for me, obviously) of the game.

It’s definitely not a game about exploration. Or story, really. It is about sending mooks flying in glorious technicolor explosions, accumulating piles of awesome loot with awesome Marvel characters, and having them make funny quips at each other. It is about the devs’ clear and abiding love for all things Marvel and the ridiculous level of references and obscure Marvel stuff they’ve managed to tuck into every corner. It’s about having 48 different heroes (and more every month) to beat those mooks and villains up with, who generally very much feel like the character as they’re shown in the comics and are mechanically distinct, meaningfully varied classes to play with. It’s about having a ridiculous variety of modes and more being added all the time. It’s about having a panoply of achievements that all have a direct game reward of some kind.

But if you’re not feeling it, you’re not feeling it.

If you’re focusing on the settings and enemies, I’d argue you’re looking in the wrong direction. As you might guess from the name of the game, the focus is the array of heroes and their skill trees. They’re rightly counting on their player base to be invested in the concept of “Captain America”, “The Punisher”, “Iron Man”, “Nightcrawler”, and so forth. Which works for me, but I can completely understand how it might bounce off some folks.

And you’re definitely right that it feels a bit, well, chintzy compared to Diablo III. I really like Marvel Heroes, but it’s pretty easy for me to walk away from, which is a terrible quality in an action RPG.

-Tom

new thing is actually fun now.

It took me a little bit to remember that Thing is one of the playable characters. I was like “what new thing?”

Thanks Tom - that makes sense. I’m playing a lot of Neverwinter (The MMO) currently, and if I look at it objectively, its not because they have interesting places to explore either. Its because of the classes, and their powers, and levelling them. I guess the setting just isn’t doing anything for me.

Wasn’t this celebration supposed to include a free hero? I logged in but didn’t see anything for that.

They’re doing the bonuses on a weekly basis. Free hero is part of week two.