Marvel Heroes

The community rep responded a bit today, though it’s mostly of the “we’re reconsidering this and that based on feedback and data metrics” (need to be logged in there to view this):

Limbo Changes and Endgame Goals [rep Rockjaw’s responses]
https://forum.marvelheroes.com/showthread.php/37792-Limbo-changes-and-endgame-goals?p=416241#post416241
Most hopeful part near the end…

Rockjaw: Difficulty modes are absolutely coming, so that’s covered. The endgame ideas you have are good, and there are more modes planned

Little more over here (same thread):
https://forum.marvelheroes.com/showthread.php/37792-Limbo-changes-and-endgame-goals?p=413181#post413181

Having said all this, we know you want more from endgame, and the development team is working on bringing it to you. In design and production now are many things you’ve asked for, including additional endgame modes, improved PvP and perhaps the most desired change of all… difficulty modes. (Including, we hope, a ‘hardcore’ mode too.) More details on those future plans soon - some are a way out, but that’s where we’re headed.
One thing he seems to make clear is they want/expect people to play several heroes. imho and others, even with the recent patch increasing drop chances, it just doesn’t seem like hero drops happen often enough and that combined with the generally high hero prices (I still think Black Widow for about $5.99 is a steal right now, but that’s an exception) seems to funnel most players into playing one or two characters up into the 40s-50s where the dearth of any variety of things to do is turning many folks off.

Now if it was a Diablo-type non MMO, you’d probably just head right back into a higher difficulty level version of storyline stuff around L25-26 and start over. And then maybe at 45-50 you’d complete that, and then you’d do it again at another difficulty.

I know Rockjaw said difficulty modes are planned – I’m not sure I know of a technical way they can pull that off in an MMO; you could maybe tune up all the instances in difficulty (storyline [as the terminals do to some extent], and just the routine mini-instances/dungeons), but I’m not sure how you’d make the open game zones a different difficulty - since that impacts every player running around in them - unless you instanced a zone version for, say, L25-L50 characters only. It’ll be interesting to see how Gazillion handles that.

imho, this is part of the tough challenge of trying to sell a hack’n’slash clickfest as an mmorpg. Players of the latter generally have a very different set of expectations. They’ll generally keep taking a character through the game as the dev adds more content and raises the level cap; but they don’t usually expect to get the character to a level cap and then have to do everything all over again. They may want to do certain instances repeatedly for the loot, which I guess is what Limbo and the terminals are trying to do.

I guess in a perfect world Gazillion would’ve gotten another year to add storyline content, build up the endgame in variety and rewards, and flesh out the PVP. But like seemingly all MMOs, at some point the publisher says, “Release it now, we need revenue.” That may or may not be true, but I’ll stand by my theory in the absence of inside info. :-)

And I got The Punisher as a drop last night. Marvel Heroes is handing out characters like candy! Get in while the getting’s good!

Actually, I suspect the way it works is that you won’t get character drops until you’re playing the endgame content. Maybe the thinking is that if you’ve come this far and haven’t bought anything yet, you’re probably not going to. So, here, have some more characters.

-Tom

So I log in this morning and find there was a server rollback, I lost a level on Black Panther…no big deal and as compensation I’ve been given 400g. Thought I’d invest in a crafting mats storage slot for 350 :)

David Brevik made a rare post about the compensation stuff, which includes XP and item find bonuses over the weekend. The rollback was made due to a cluster bleep concerning the attempt to make up for the duped heroes dropping as the final storyline mission reward. I sense a pattern here. :p

We’re sorry; compensation details for today’s rollback

https://forum.marvelheroes.com/showthread.php/39079-We-re-sorry-compensation-details-for-today-s-rollback

imho most players would also want some reassurance that they’re doing something – public test servers or some sort of better patch testing – to keep this kind of cluster bleep from happening anymore.

Great. So it turns out I didn’t, in fact, get The Punisher and level him up last night. Furthermore, if you hadn’t posted that Geo, I would have had no way of knowing what happened. They screw up that badly and then make a forum post about it?

Oh, but look, they put $4 in my spacebuck account. What a clusterfuck.

-Tom

So, how’s the game if you primarily play single player? Also, is it playable without spending money on it in the beginning?

It’s fine, and yes. I haven’t spent anything yet, and I’m having a good time. Perhaps I’ll buy a storage slot or two down the road somewhere, but I think it’s more fun to try to find the unlockable heroes. Unless you’re Tom, that is, and lose them in a rollback.

What’s the frequency of hero unlocks? I’m level 10 and only found Storm so far. The game is cool so far and I don’t see a need to spend anything yet :)

Given the absurd prices of Heroes? Too fucking infrequent.

No Psylocke or Elektra??? Pfft!

EDIT: No Dr. Strange either…sheesh.

Personally I want Nightcrawler and Gambit. Gambit is in game as an NPC, but I would much rather he be playable.

That’s another problem. A lot of desirable heroes are locked away as NPCs. I don’t know why they didn’t make the NPCs all people like Maria Hill, Moira McTaggart, Robbie Robertson, Happy Hogan, etc.

Ok, so I was pretty down on this game after the Beta. I’ve tried it again and I’m finding I like it a lot more this time. Maybe Storm is just more fun than the Iron Man I used in Beta but it seems like this is going a bit better for me. I like it enough that I even threw in some cash and picked up Hulk and Ms Marvel. Hulk, by the way, feels just about right to play. By that I mean he’s overpowered as all hell. I feel like I’m cheating when I roll through a bunch of Hydra schmucks without losing any health or take down a boss solo in a matter of seconds.

This game still has a ton of problems and feels like it wasn’t finished when they released it. Also the prices, which others have mentioned, are insane. One of the fun things about the Xbox game (which I can’t remember the name of at the moment) was switching characters all the time to try out new powers. I’d like to have at least a few options for that here without spending a fortune.

Nightcrawler is also in the game as an NPC. And I’ll bet you dollars to donuts a bunch of these guys are going to be eventually be playable (i.e. for sale).

-Tom

I’d play as Maria Hill.

Finally got a hero I actually wanted! Black Panther. I feel like the hero drops aren’t unreasonable, I get one every couple of play sessions. I wasn’t using a rarity boost either, for what it’s worth.

I still only have Thing and Storm and I’m level 16 :( Do the heroes only drop from major bosses? Last boss I defeated gave me a purple shotgun.

Must be nice, I’ve still only found one in ~30 hours of play and I lost it to the first rollback.

Wow, you have 30 hours in this thing and haven’t gotten burned out yet? I’ve got about 5 and am starting to get bored. The combat is sooo boring and the enemy’s feel repetitive. Is the end game fun? I’ll keep playing to finish the storyline with Hawkeye, but I can’t see myself playing through it again with another character.

My experience is that I have had the most fun with melee guys. Finished the game with Hulk, and now I am playing Black Panther, who is like opposite-Hulk.