Marvel Midnight Suns: Firaxis unveils the Nico vs. Chthon showdown Marvel fans have been waiting for!

So, pretty faithful then?

In addition, Jake Solomon, former Creative Director of the XCOM franchise and Marvel’s Midnight Suns, will be departing the studio. Solomon leaves after over two decades at Firaxis Games, and was instrumental in revitalizing the tactical turn-based genre with the releases of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM 2, and Marvel’s Midnight Suns.

“I’m embarking on a new chapter; however, I am incredibly grateful to have had the opportunity to fulfill my dreams at Firaxis Games,” said Solomon. “I’m thankful to everyone who enjoyed XCOM and Marvel’s Midnight Suns, and to my development and publishing partners who helped bring those games to life.”

I am not sure how many days I am at, but I haven’t played in about 2 weeks. I didn’t intentionally quit, but I find the mansion part of the game so tedious that I don’t have much urge to play it.

Last half of the game i skipped all the mansion stuff. I just went to training, collect rewards, and straight to another mission. I think I only had 2 power words.

I let this slip off my radar mostly just due to playing the hell out of it for a few weeks. I’d been trying to build up my characters with all the side missions and not doing story missions, but finally started pushing thru story missions due to me feeling like I was probably getting overpowered. I mostly enjoy the mansion stuff, but am finding I rush thru it now. I also noticed a couple of the various groups stopped having meetings and one thing I assumed was a big deal Magik’s birthday just sorta never happened and I haven’t heard a peep about it one way or the other.

I got sidetracked by Vampire Survivors at the end of last year, and haven’t made it back yet.

I’m surprised at how poorly it seems to have done though.

The game is 40% off and it has a free weekend on Steam

I’m actually enjoying the cycle of missions > mansion stuff. Some amusing writing on the mansion dialogues.

Been working through this topic as I play and it’s been amusing watching the game unfold for everyone. Tom just finally got cauldron rights.

Also, what I said earlier about not worrying about building complementary decks, forget I said that.

I grabbed this because Steam had it on a free weekend trial and played around. By my steam stats I’m 89 minutes in and I’ve had like 4 battles. Now admittedly I went through tutorial and these types of games do tend to start slow. What I’ve seen so far is pretty cool in the battle department, but pretty lame in every other aspect. Kind of on the fence as to whether I should buy.

Do the card battles become the meat of the game later on, or will it still be mostly wandering around environments and blah blah talking to NPCs I don’t care about?

I’m playing it on the free weekend. So I’m skipping all the fluff mercilessly and playing just the battles, as I’m on a time limit. Good god this gave have 40 minutes of cutscenes, dialogues, social activities and walking around the mansion for every 20 minutes of real gameplay.

Nico is hot AF and I want to bang her but knowing the game won’t let me just makes me hate it more.

Since no one else is answering: I have 20-30 hours in, and no you can’t, but it’s what you make of it. Some puzzle battle types open up, and you can ignore a lot of the mansion stuff (or click through it), but doing the friendship stuff does help make your team stronger for the battles. Also, there is story stuff you will need to do in the mansion side of the game which requires wandering around. And if you want to make items, you will need to forage for the reagents (which is very tedious). You can never truly get away from that side of the game.

In my game Magik is my best buddy. It often feels like the game is going in that direction, without ever actually going there (which I am glad it doesn’t). One of the reviews I read said something about the game feeling like it was written to lead up to that, but Marvel shut it down (I might be misremembering that).

Sorry, but I’m hotter:

https://i.imgur.com/grIV2zz.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/DMxXlWg.jpeg

About the game itself. Some thoughts after a few hours.
-Great tactical combat, combining in a novel way cards and position manipulation. It feels new, it feels appropriate for a supers game.
-Great animations in the combat. Really with a good punch, cinematic and visceral, the environmental destruction is also welld one.
-Graphics for a isometric tactical game are very good. However, for a third person adventure where npcs talk to you (and in the context of being a 60€ game) they are 10 years outdated. Behind Mass Effect 3 and when that game released? Some characters like Tony Stark look like plastic dolls.

-The game is unabashedly a love letter to Marvel comics. From the story, to some of the character writing, to the uniforms, the comic covers, the color palette, etc. It isn’t ashamed of being based on the comics, you know?

… oh wait, you thought that was praise? :P
Oh, no no no, I dislike them. I have zero interest in a queen devil mother of monsters villain and her corny dialogue, same as most other characters, and their stupid uniforms. Look I remember disliking how they looked when I was still a child decades ago, it isn’t like ‘oh I’m being a cynical adult’.
So yeah, I’m not in the target audience.
-Because of that, the half of the game that is’t combat falls flat to me, of course. But even if that wasn’t the case, it feels as if that half of the game has too much cruft, that end up being busy work between missions. Hell, part of it feels as bloat because this was a AAA game and they have to fill it out with things, the fuller the better, to justify the full tag price. Was really needed all the exterior around the house?

Where is the dialog option where you ask her if she wants to see your Staff of One?

To be fair, this is pretty much how the latest Fire Emblem games on Switch have been too, and they have lots of fans. I think a big difference is that the characters in those games are completely original creations that are not known to the player as opposed to the Marvel superheroes which have well-known backgrounds and personalities. Don’t get me wrong, Fire Emblem social activities can get tedious as well but at least there is room for more depth and relationship building (including romance).

There are some other mechanical issues with the social part of the game that get in the way of it. I almost think that the social leveling should be more
opaque instead of just being a bunch of numbers that you are trying to optimize. It makes it feel much less organic, which I think hurts it.

Ironically, I think the social aspect of the game might actually appeal more to someone who is not very familiar with these characters. I almost think this game would be a good introduction to Marvel in general (though this doesn’t seem to be the target audience).

As for Nico, I’m sorry but her cards kind of suck.

Tried this during the weekend, but the little I tried and the discussion here convinces me that this is better left to some time where there is a deeper discount. I liked the combat, although it felt fairly light in the parts I got through - but the out of combat parts just felt incredibly bloated, filled with pointless conversations and mostly uninteresting NPCs.

Although I see the necessity for more characters (to avoid the combat becoming even more samey), I really feel like this would have been better with a smaller cast.

One thing I forgot to comment, is how it seems there isn’t that much variation in the mission objectives. I say this because I got some repeated ones in secondary missions in my brief time with the game. I can only imagine being tired of stopping the chopper that tries to fly alway 20 hours into the game.

Most of the NPC’s are Marvel Superheroes who are superbly voice acted, with a lot of fun conversations. Especially as a LOT of the heroes (especially the Midnight Suns) are generally unknown to a lot of folks who may only have seen the movies, or don’t currently follow the comics.

Could they have sped up the friend dynamic linked to unlocking higher level cards? Sure, but I do really like the care that went into making each Hero in the Abbey a distinct character. Some of the artificial conflicts between the characters would have been better served by doing missions together, but I expect the narrative of the story

Could not disagree with this more. I thought most of it was cringeworthy and painful to sit through. It’s interesting the divide here. A few of the reviews I saw talked about the bad voice acting and bad dialogue, but then it came out and everyone here loved it. I guess it’s how much you like Marvel/comics?

Maybe so. I have always been Marvel over DC, probably due to DC being pretty crappy when I was an avid reader and collector in the 70’s/early 80’s. But I do think it’s really good that every line is voiced save for the Intel/Hero Ops, and I do like getting the backstory of all the newer characters to me, and if it were all optional, all that work and love for the characters would be kind of wasted, when the polish is really good, IMHO (far, far better than the Crystal Dynamics Avengers game, once you get past the campaigns).