Marvel Snap: Marvel's digital CCG

I have over-snapped!

I threw myself into this pretty hard Tuesday and Wednesday, and I’m sure there’s still a lot more that I don’t know than what I do know, but I think I’ve hit the point where there’s almost nothing to do without spending (more) money. But that’s probably a good thing.

I’m CL 111, rank 28. I just finished my 25th mission, so I’ve satisfied the weekly challenge (complete 25 missions) with another four days until that resets.

The individual missions refill 2 every 8 hours. I’ve got one I could knock out, and probably will when I play around lunch later today. Those are pretty easy to keep up with a few matches a couple times a day. You can pay 150 gold to immediately get 2 new missions, and I’ve done that a few times, but there’s a cap. I wasn’t paying close attention, but I think you can only do this three times a day? Whatever the cap is I hit that yesterday. So even if you were tempted to try to dump money into the game to keep advancing missions (a good way to get credits, which will often be your bottelneck for advancing your collection), knowing there’s a limit will curb my temptation to spend real money to buy gold to buy missions to grind credits. That’s a good thing!

Season Pass missions are time gated too, and I’m “caught up” on those right now with the exception of one mission for upgrading cards–something I’ll ineveitably knock out.

So now I’m just trying to upgrade all the cards in my collection to Uncommon. That first upgrade costs 25 credits (plus the required card-specific “booster” currency) and adds 1 to your CL. All the subsequent upgrades until the last one are more expensive and the math works out to costing you 50 credits per CL (for example from Uncommon to Rare costs 100 credits and adds +2 CL), so if you’re trying to optimize credits spent toward increasing your CL, getting all your cards to Uncommon before you run out of credits to spend is ideal. I’ve got probably a dozen cards left in my collection that are still Common, so I can slowly grind for boosters for those specific cards, but that’s just (slightly weighted) luck, and in most cases at this point involves putting Uncommon cards into my deck that don’t really fit with the rest of my build. So that’s slow going, but not frustrating.

I’ve spent $13 total: I bought the new player bundle for $3 (or whatever it’s called) that includes Captain America and some gold at a pretty steep discount compared to buying gold directly. Mostly I did that for Captain America, and despite having put some of that gold to use refilling missions as described above, I still wouldn’t really recommend this bundle unless, like me, you also just like Captain America. And I spent $10 for the Premium Season Pass, which means I get rewards at every Season Pass level instead of only occasionally if you’re playing the Season Pass for free (also available is $15 for the Premium Season Pass plus an immediate 10 level boost on the Season Pass, which didn’t seem like a good value).

Depending on how much I get out of the Season Pass, I’ll consider buying future Season Passes, but I don’t see any reason to put any more money into the game. But I expect all of this info to be out of date a month from now when they rebalance all the currency and change everything up, as these games inevitably do. Bottom line, I’m enjoying this, but I put more time into it than I should’ve in the first couple days so I’m slowing down.

How did you get 25 weekly done? Im at 12 and am waiting for 2 new ones every 6 hours

Good question! I don’t remember exactly, but roughly it was probably:

• 6 available at the start when I began Tuesday
  • in the ~48 hours since then, six more refreshes of 2 new ones for another 12, total of 18 so far.
  • buying immediate refreshes with gold, which I don’t remember exactly how often I’ve done, but looking at the math I suspect I did this four times. I did it once this morning and perhaps 3 times yesterday (whatever it was I remember it telling me I had reached the daily limit on paying for refreshes at some point when I tried yesterday). If I did this four times that’s another 8 missions, so 26 total with the above since I started, which jibes with hitting the 25 for the weekly challenge and one more in progress right now.

Ah do you think buying missions for gold was worth it?

I just hit collect level 100 and rank 35

Collection 152, rank 35 for me.

Probably not in most cases. I think it may be a slightly better gold-to-credits result than just outright buying credits from the shop, but I’ll probably just sit on my gold for now so I have some if an absolutely awesome variant I want shows up in the daily shop rotation.

It would be most useful if you’re late in the week and may not otherwise have enough missions left to hit the weekly challenge. Which is another reason not to spend the gold as I did when I still had plenty of time—save it so you have it when you need it!

Yeah I’m still trying to get a handle on what mission are available when, and how much time I have. They really get you hooked on that first day, but now I feel the pressure is off for a while.

By the way, I don’t know if this is a good idea, but I made a rotating “Upgrade” deck which always contains my lowest-ranked cards that need to be upgraded. If I’m just playing for fun and not aiming for any specific goals, I’ll play that deck and get the easy upgrade credits, win or lose. (But I try to bail early if the match is looking bad, just so my rank doesn’t drop too much.)

Also, grey and green cards apparently get prioritized for upgrade credits, so if you’re trying to upgrade a specific card, you can keep a variant in your deck to rack up the upgrades (which you can later apply to the other card). So for example, I want to upgrade my Dan Hipp Hawkeye variant (currently level 3), so I keep my standard Level 2 Hawkeye in my deck. Any time I earn upgrade credits for that one, I save them and use them for Hipp Hawkeye once I get enough.

As far as I can tell, regular missions don’t technically expire, but you can only have six active at once. So if you’ve got six already and the time comes for two new missions to drop (I think it’s 7:00, 15:00, and 23:00 EST) you just won’t get any more.

At 35 I think I have hit the wall on easy play without having a well crafted deck. Gonna have to research good ones. I keep seeing reference to pools, what does that mean?

You’ll want to research it anyway, as I don’t have specifics, but the cards you get as rewards for leveling up your collection are in pools. Within a pool the order you unlock them is random, but you will get every card in pool 1 before you get any cards in pool 2, etc. There are currently three pools. So every time you break through to another pool, you’ll be facing all sorts of new cards/decks/meta.

yes, best use of gold other than cosmetics. it’s 120 per refresh, limit 3 per day

Yep, those are the basics. You only get matched against people who have progressed into the same pool as you, so you won’t see the more crazy cards until you get into pools 2 and 3.

Pool 3 is by far the largest. You enter it around 450, and you unlock everything around 2800ish.

How deep do you have to be to get to pool 2?

Looking for strategies on pushing through season pass. I played 30+games today and only got 2-3 levels. What earns that progress, upgrades?

Pool 2 is collection level 222 to 474.

The vast majority of your season pass progress is going to come from the weekly pass chapters and your daily quests. Just playing a game gives you (I believe) 10 XP per lane won. I believe that’s the only non-quest source of XP.

If you go to Main, then select Missions, scroll down to your Season Pass missions, like “Play Cost 3 cards” or “Win a location with one card.” You complete those, and then get like 1000 Season Pass XP for completing all the missions. But as you get to Chapters 3-5, some missions aren’t unlocked until 5 hours away, up to over a week away.

I should make a graph of what activities progress what tracks.

lol 😅

Mark me down for another this was fun but for how long. I played 7 and won 7, I’m sure it’ll stop being fun when I get non-bots or players with better decks/skills

It’s like a turbo! version of artifact! That was a really fun game but perhaps bit too long matches. Also that monetisation didn’t really work out for them