Marvel's Agent Carter

Its been pretty good. They were a bit heavy handed with the 50’s sexism thing early on but its not so bad anymore. Haley is great in this and the supporting cast is good as well. Hopefully its doing well enough to get another mini run next season.

The big mystery is not actually Leviathan, but WTF a waitress in an Automat actually does…

Aha! I knew I wasn’t just dreaming it! One of her several origin stories does indeed include her having some kind of moderate enhancement:-

Another account establishes her as being raised from very early childhood by the U.S.S.R.'s “Black Widow Ops” Program, rather than solely by Ivan Petrovitch. Petrovitch had taken her to Department X, with other 28 young female orphans, where she is trained in combat and espionage at the covert “Red Room” facility. There, she is bio-technologically and psycho-technologically enhanced; an accounting that provides a rationale for her unusually long and youthful lifespan.

So, it could have been a young Black Widow who stabbed Dum Dum, if this is the origin they’re rolling with :) I could see her old age and super-science origin being a surprise revelation in tv and movies to come.

(It would also explain her otherwise-weirdly-slightly-superhuman feat in The Avengers movie, of not having her arms ripped off when she’s hoiked onto the Chitauri skybike by Cap, and her falling at great speed from it onto the top of Stark Tower and not killing herself)

Yeah, I’ve actually been hoping for a Black Widow origin or spinoff story for a while.

This has been fun, but I think we should’ve gotten to this point by episode three, not six. I had hopes that this was going to be more about the actual founding or early days of S.H.I.E.L.D., and at this point, that’s going to be a cliffhanger or teaser at the end at best. Instead it looks like we’re just getting an adventure Peggy had when she got tied up with Stark this one time.

It’s been a fun show, but I think it needed a clearer main villain earlier. Leviathan produced a series of throwaway foes for too long and therefore lacked sufficient villainous intent. It’s only eight episodes, after all. As for the complaints about feminism, try talking to someone who lived through that period and pounded their head on the adamant ceiling until it (or they) cracked. My wife’s mom, who is 80 now, was one of the first women in tech and eventually worked on the space shuttle program, but it was brutal on her being the only woman in the building who wasn’t a secretary. Agent Carter’s first couple episodes were realistic, not exaggerated, and the later ones have been too easy on her. It’s easy to forget, now.

Nothing about Agent Carter is realistic, and perhaps its lack of subtlety most of all. And it’s a comic book show, so that’s fine with most people.

The crap women had to put up with working in an office in the 40s or 50s, or even the early 60s, was arguably even worse than what has been depicted on the show - constantly having your ass grabbed or slapped, people having the expectation that you’d sleep with them if you went out to dinner, not being treated as remotely equal in terms of pay or quality/nature of work, being unable to even get many job roles. But most of that treatment was systemic and subtle, inflicted by people who were not maniacal jackasses, but by people who were otherwise normal and had the same motivations, altruism, kindness, laughter, intelligence, etc. that people have today.

Depicting the treatment women endured as being meted out by a bunch of neanderthal frat boys is so broad and easily divorced from our own sensibilities that it actually diminishes and obfuscates the crap that they experienced, by making it overt and ridiculous, instead of real, pervasive and inescapable.

Those aren’t mutually exclusive, and my mother in law experienced them at the same time. The frat boy stereotype exists for a reason, the reason being that men alone tend to descend into boorishness. As a former frat boy, I speak from experience here, and that environment was continued into many workplaces prior to the very real triumphs of the women’s movement. It seems overt and ridiculous to you now, but then it was common and accepted.

My mom’s stories of working in the newsroom in the early 1970s, even, are just shocking and appalling.

I’m honestly surprised that anyone can view the sexism in Agent Carter as heavy-handed or over-the-top in comparison to the reality of the time period it’s set in. If anything, the sexism in the show is too tame.

shrug

The show is awesome, I look forward to each week’s new episode, and I’m going to be very disappointed if it doesn’t get renewed for a second season. Solid cast, good action, excellent work all around.

Stonking episode - particularly loved the jacket, like a weird science version of an electric blanket.

All to play for in the final episode then.

I definitely like this better than Agents of Shield. It’s more coherent, the superhero silliness fits the tone better. More memorable scenes. Even the action scenes are better.

I hope they just abandon staying consistent with the one-shot episode – seriously who cares – and tell a good story in season 2. Keep each ‘season’ a mini-series of 8 - 10 episodes. The lack of filler is great.

I’ve never even seen the one-shot episode.

I, too, think that keeping it to mini-seasons is fine if it means solid, well-scripted stories without unnecessary padding. :)

I love Agents of SHIELD, but more for the characters than for it being a great show. It’s good, but not great yet. I have hopes that the creative crew will continue to improve AoS as time goes on. In the meantime, it’s still enjoyable because I’ve grown attached to several of the characters, in addition to “the adventures of Coulson” just always being fun.

THis just showed up on Danish Netflix - Awesome! I assume episode 7 and 8 arent out yet, but are the season endings from the overview I can see on Netflix?

Anyways -looking forward to seeing this!

Watching tonight’s episode–really? A black cop in 1947-48 NYC? This really is a fantasy show. Of course, they strongly imply that he dies immediately–the shirt under his uniform must’ve been red.
That said, I’ve watched every episode.

Yeah, I wondered about that too.

Good finale though.

A quick Google search reveals that the first black police officer in New York City was sworn in in 1911. He was also the first black police sergeant (1926) and the first black police lieutenant (1935). So, not so much a fantasy.

OK, maybe, but I’d wager that black cops back then were restricted to operating in mostly black neighborhoods. I just find it funny that the only black person we saw in the miniseries was in the last episode, promptly “fridged” and playing a historically unlikely role.

Good final episode, though. Is there any talk of a second season?

So, in a TV show about superheroes, superpowers ect. you balk at a black police officer?

In a show about historical unequal treatment of women, it is odd that they wouldn’t have a similar eye for detail when it came to treatment of other groups.

Yes, it would be normal to find a black officer in Harlem in 1947. But in Midtown? Not so much. Especially driving a prowl car, alone (both because prowl cars were comparatively rare then, and considered a cushy assignment, and because you generally have two cops in a prowl car. The writers seem to have confused city cops with highway patrolmen.)

Hardly a deal breaker, but if they’re going out of their way to find a period-appropriate version of “The Way You Look Tonight” you’d think they’d take similar care with the casting.