Marvel's Agent Carter

…premiers tomorrow night. I’m looking forward to this. Haley Atwell is good, but I noticed that Enver Gjokaj is part of the cast as well. I detect Whedon’s hand in this. Enver was phenomenal on Dollhouse but has had few opportunities since.

I quit Agents of Shield, so I hope this is better at keeping my attention. The setting and casting is off to a great start.

Agents got way, way better. You might want to check back in.

Just picking up at the start of season 2 is ok?

Not really. You need to watch all of the episodes after the release of Winter Soldier for things to make sense. Start with 16, the appropriately named “End of the Beginning.”

Yeah, definitely do NOT just start back at season 2 - you really need to go back to the season 1 tie in with Captain America Winter Solider (and have seen that movie). I’m not as big a fan of the show as Dave and others are (I think it’s only o.k. now), but it’s undeniably much, much better than it was at the beginning of the first season, when I bailed about 4 episodes in despite being a Marvel zombie, through and through.

lord, you may have stopped right around where my son and I did, at the end of the break in the first season, and we went back and re-watched them and they get exceptionally better right after the show returned from the break, it turns out, and continues to grow and become better and better.

Agent Carter could be good, but I’m not super into it yet. I’ve set it to record and will watch as time allows, but Tuesdays are already a super packed TV night for us so we’ll see. Initial reviews seems quite positive, which is promising.

Ok, will do. Just have to find the time. :)

Initial reviews are leaving me cautiously optimistic.

— Alan

I like the way Marvel occasionally picks up the ball and runs with it. Like Coulson, and now Peggy Carter (she just nailed that part so hard in the first Captain America film).

Well that was a considerably better series premiere than Agents of SHIELD. Plus it had Bubbles, Eli, and Lt. Tom Pullings (as a flesh and blood Jarvis,finally.)

Yeah, the boy and I agreed it was excellent and will keep watching.

I sadly forgot to record it. Ah, well - looks like a replay on Saturday.

Enjoyed the period piece aspects:

An Automat!!

The guys expecting Carter to get coffee.

Radio drama.

“Ladies problem”

Manual typewriters.

But the Antman trailer was bizarre: Since when is Antman an excon named Sky? Where is Hank Pym??

Paul Rudd is playing Scott Lang, who in the comics is a security expert driven to becoming a thief who works with Hank Pym after stealing the Ant-Man suit and shrinking gas. Hank Pym is being portrayed by Michael Douglass.

The period stuff was nice, particularly the 40s hi tech.

Good first episode, she can definitely carry it, and with some emotional depth too. The feminist angle is a bit over-larded, but what the hey, it’s good to be reminded of how bad things often were.

Anything salient one needs to be caught up on before jumping in at 16? Dropped it after about 3 episodes…

Okay, I guess I’ll be the voice of dissent. I didn’t care for it. While I think Hayley Atwell put in a fine performance and Shea Whigham is always a joy to watch, this two-hour premiere just didn’t resonate with me. I thought the basic plot was silly and the villains were kind of dumb. I mean another super-tech MacGuffin chase? Yawn. Plus, the constant “HEY DON’T FORGET THIS WAS A MAN’S WORLD IN THE 40’S” got tiresome.

I will say that I liked the relationship between Jarvis and Carter. I’m not sure it’s enough to pull me in for another episode, but them keeping it platonic was nice.

Nerd nitpick: If that scrap lump was supposed to be the whole refinery compressed into a ball, wouldn’t it have weighed a lot more than a truck could pull?

Yup. I think I’d watch a '40s police procedural, but between the unceasing torrent of Marvel movies and The Flash, I think I’ve reached comic-book-to-screen saturation.

Understanding the time period and what was happening historically helps with the seemingly heavy handed feminist angle. This is during a time just after WWII. Women had stepped into the working world in a major way during the war and once the war was over most of those women were displaced as the men came back from war. In a lot of ways, the post WWII era ignited the feminist movement. Women had a taste of independence and thats a hard thing to give up once you have experienced it.