Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - Behold, your gardeners of the galaxy!

Thought this was interesting - some seriously deep configuration options here, down to setting how much damage Star Lord can give and receive in combat. And hey, coming out next week! I may have to kick my spooky games to the curb and have a Guardians Halloween.

Man, Quill’s got kind of a douchebaggy voice. And face.

In line with every other incarnation of him?

I always assumed that was kind of the point. He’s got an overinflated opinion of his abilities and charms, kind of like Jack Burton. I mean, he calls himself Star Lord for pete’s sake.

agreed, but I guess I’m just used to the goofy charm that Pratt brought to the role to offset the ego. The video game Quill oozes smarm, not charm.

Interesting review.

“Oversaturation of gameplay systems and mechanics”. It sounds like she had a really tough time with the combat. Honestly the review did not turn me off of the game, it still sounds good to me.

Which is strange to me, as SkillUp showed there are three difficulty settings AND a super complete difficulty adjustment screen that I wish all games had.

What doesn’t convince me is the combat, he showed how it’s a third person shooter where you barely do shit damage and instead the main source of damage comes from the ‘uses’ you do of your teammates abilities?

The PC Gamer review mentions stability issues and crashing after the day-one patch.

That brings me to the core, debilitating issue with Guardians. This game is frequently, flagrantly broken. At one point I ran into three different crashes within a single hour of play. One was a bizarre soft-lock, the other two were straight-up hardcore freezes that required an alt-F4 to escape. The first boss I fought stopped moving a few times; it was stuck in stasis as I blasted away at its tentacles, scoring oodles of cheap damage. The game routinely believed Star-Lord had fallen down a phantom pit, and it dutifully teleported me back to some sort of crucible of danger completely haphazardly. I needed to reload checkpoints in order to get certain progression choke-points to trigger.

This makes Guardians of the Galaxy a difficult game to recommend right now. Something clearly went awry during development, because it’s weird for a singleplayer, linear game to have so many bizarre performance issues. This level of jank is expected in the high-entropy continent of Tamriel, not in a series of combat arenas and connective tissue. The closest analogue I can think of is Jedi Fallen Order; another Disney property that shipped with a well-hewn narrative, some neat combat tricks, and a boatload of sundering technical hangups. Unfortunately, I don’t think Guardians is quite good enough to offset those problems the way Respawn did.

I like this review - I think it’s cool that there are puzzles that offer shortcuts, like Drax throwing Rocket across a chasm, but the teammates will give you shit about it for the rest of the game.

I’ve preloaded, just waiting for the unlock tonight. Only 30GBs on PS5. Smaller than expected after that rumor going around that it was 150GBs on PC.

Am I the only one playing?

I’ve made it to Nowhere and I’m about to meet Cosmo. This game is pretty fantastic. The visual design is fantastic. The creatures, environments and characters all look amazing. The faces in the game are especially lifelike. Really impressive shading and animation.

The combat is also very exciting and frantic. Efficiently using everyone’s abilities while trying to stay safe and contribute as Starlord is nicely challenging and the enemy variety does a good job of pushing you around.

And the writing is really good! The character interplay is so well done, and there is just so much banter it makes this a really poor podcast game, even between cutscenes. The side characters also steal the show in a lot of ways. The 12 year old Nova cadet, the game’s take on Mantis, and Lady Hellbender are all stellar.

It’s just a delight all around, even before you mention the DMCA nightmare soundtrack. It’s funny, a lot of people in the industry talked about this game being something Eidos Montreal was “saddled with” when they could have been making more Deus Ex. Those people seem to forget the Deus Ex IP was something they were also “saddled with”, and was never their own creation. The game I’m playing now suggests Guardians was exactly what that studio needed to really get their creative juices flowing.

It’s an absolute feast for the eyes, brimming with clever ideas, mechanics and sharp writing. I hope more of you will give the game a look!

That sounds great. It’s funny I’ve even deconditioned from even considering playing games based on movie properties over the years so games like this I never paid attention to.

I made the questionable decision to buy a deluxe copy from Best Buy … which doesn’t arrive until tomorrow. I intend to play as soon as I get mine.

I’m still in the first chapter but I agree with everything you said! I love a solid single-player, non-open world, character-driven AAA experience and this is hitting all those beats. What are you playing this on? I’m on the PS5 using the quality mode and it looks incredible on my OLED. I notice a few frame rate hiccups every note and then but nothing too serious.

Also, I know @Jason_McMaster is playing this, I watched him stream for a while last night.

This wasn’t on my radar at all, I thought it was a MMO.

So its single player and good ?

Very good!

Free outfit:

Available exclusively for GeForce Gamers who’ve purchased Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy on PC and redeemable via GeForce Experience until 1/6/22.

I’m on PS5 as well. I will say the game is a bit buggy. I’ve had objectives fail to appear a couple times, but luckily a restart of the checkpoint qas quick and fixed the issue. Once the Huddle up in combat freaked out, too, where it was having trouble loading everyone’s dialogue. I thought it was going to freeze up completely, but it eventually worked itself out.

I’ve played on both performance and quality mode. Mostly on quality, but I’m thinking I’ll probably switch back to performance as combat has gotten more hectic.