Marvel's Iron Fist - Netflix

Just read that… I’m honestly really sad to hear it. Season 2 was great!

I know! No one is more surprised than me how disappointed I am by this news.

Dammit. What a shock and a disappointment. I felt this was the best looking series after all their season 2s. Even if the long shot rumblings of Disney picking it up for their service come to pass, they’d lose a lot without the ability to pull in any of the characters from the other series.

Seriously they put on hundreds of hours a month in content now yet they can’t continue Iron Fist.

I’ve never had an issue with Netflix and shows I’ve watched as to what stays or goes until now. iron Fist deserved a chance to capitalize on the solid second season.

I’m both surprised and not surprised by the cancellation. I think if it was normal tv land, it wouldn’t have had a second season at all after the first disaster, which makes cancellation not much of a surprise. They obviously couldn’t generate viewing numbers that warranted giving it another go, especially with the Disney/Netflix split on its way. What does surprise me is that they’d cancel a Marvel show; I’d imagine even low Marvel numbers would be better than many of their other properties. All about the licensing money?

I do hope that the secondary characters, at least, pop up in other shows. They were the best part of Iron Fist.

My reply from the other thread.

Don’t really see Disney picking up one of the former Netflix shows when all the others are still going. I’d assume they would rather start their own with new characters.

Pretty sure Jessica Jones season 3 is already in production. It’s possible some work has started on season 3 of Luke Cage. So there’s an outside chance this is the beginning of the end for all of the Netflix Marvel collaborations and the timing just worked out that Iron Fist was the first announcement since it doesn’t have a new season in progress. Daredevil would be the next “cancellation” if that’s the case, but since it’s got a new season airing next week they’ll wait a month or two to break that news.

Exactly. I see this as the beginning of the end of Marvel on Netflix. Disney/Marvel would be stupid to allow Netflix to continue with running Marvel shows, that would be like playing poker against your own money. Now as to whether they keep the shows running with the same personnel, reboot them to make them their own or dump them and go with different heroes is a question that only time can answer. Either way, Netflix time running Marvel properties is very likely coming to an end, as soon as what they have in the pipeline currently, is done.

Yeah, I agree - it also tracks with previous comments they made about Defenders not being a thing any more (now with these characters, at least).

My feeling is this will backfire for Disney if it’s really what’s going on. Having the movie licensing deal end and future stuff going forward end up on a different streaming service is one thing, but taking away a bunch of stuff that people were used to getting on Netflix and really valued so that they can charge you for another separate subscription is gross and I for one would be even less inclined to support their service if they’re pulling that shit.

I’m constantly expecting people to care about being mistreated and being surprised when they don’t, though. :P

I think people care, but expect the behavior and therefore there’s no shock factor associated with it.

You don’t need to be shocked to act on it, is the thing. But people don’t.

Yeah, but then you get the jaded rationalization; if everyone does X, why take any action when someone does X because the next person will just do X all over again and you’ll have punished yourself (in this case forgone watching shows you’d like) with nothing to show for it. Please note, this is NOT my argument as I don’t currently intend to buy into Disney’s service, either. Rather, it’s just one explanation of why it’s so hard to get momentum going with the subscription base.

Marvel belongs to Disney. How anyone can be surprised that they don’t want the direct competition to their new streaming network to have shared rights to their properties, is beyond me. I guess perhaps if you view it from a business perspective instead of a consumer perspective, your opinion may change. As far as the Disney stream failing? I heard all of that and more when CBS started up their service. Not only did it not crash and burn, it has been quite successful. Streaming services are the future of video entertainment. A powerhouse like Disney was going to jump in eventually. They have the rights to a major portion of many of the most popular video entertainment franchises, like Star Wars and Marvel. Im guessing they will do just fine.

Why I slowly am moving away from “Middle man” streaming services to places where I can get all the content I really want. And why Netflix is scrambling to create original content. Because that model? It’s doomed. Why not host and stream the content you own/create? You are going to get less money by letting a middle man stream it? heck cutting out middle men usually decreases prices. The consumer will then have different creators battling it out for their dollar.

Companies are forgetting that part of their massive success with streaming is because it’s cheaper than cable and easier than piracy. We’ll see what happens as the market becomes more and more segmented.

Yep, my prediction is that piracy will get very big again after years of decline where Netflix and co had a wide selection of great content available. If everyone and their mom charges 10$ to watch their stuff, then people will find that content elsewhere to get their fix.

Think some are confused here. Netflix chose to cancel Iron Fist not Disney. Disney owns the characters but Netflix owns the shows because they pay for them. Unless Disney built in some pre determined end to these shows Netflix gets to make more seasons as long as they fund them.