Marvel's Luke Cage - Netflix

I kinda thought this was true for pretty much everything in the last episode.

Luke’s decision to do. . . I’m still not entirely sure I understand it what he’s thinking or doing (although it was a poetic touch by Maria to try). Tilda going full on murderer, and then being furious that Luke got the club (she never cared about the club once, and was clealry uncomfortable around that life, yes very much owing to her mother’s role in it). Bushmaster just saying “eh, fuck it, imma head back to Jamaica this shit is too hard”.

This was a weird, uneven, but at times very good season of TV (and at other times, not). I would up really liking Mustafa Shakir as Bushmaster. And they set up an interesting parallel between Luke’s “darker” bents and both Bushmaster/Dillard, and how the destructiveness of the latter two was causing all sorts of collateral damage (Bushmaster especially). But they forgot that you’ve got to do something interesting with that besides just set it up. And then just drop the heroing, and don’t so much conclude Bushmaster’s arc right when it gets interesting as just sort of drop it.

I’m almost done with season 2. It’s really good, I even enjoyed the Iron Fist/Power Man team up episode.

Sounds like this is the end for Marvel and Netflix, sadly. Most of what my family watches on Netflix is Disney stuff honestly, so when Disney pulls their content I might cancel too.

I’m pretty sure what we’re seeing is Disney taking its ball and going home; no reason for it to nurture what will soon be a competitor.

Though I can potentially see Disney allowing Netflix to continue Punisher, since it’s off-brand for a Disney streaming service.

Since the exact details of the deal between Marvel and Netflix hadn’t really been disclosed other than the notion that only one season for each show and a Defenders team show had been agreed upon (and Iron Fist kept shifting around), and there was talk about negotiating the follow-up seasons + The Punisher, we can surmise that Disney agreed to additional seasons perhaps on the condition that they could choose to pull the plug at any time potentially in deference to their own upcoming service(s). Or at least provide an out for Netflix.

The only things we know now is that The Punisher season 2 is in production and that no other renewals have taken place. The only other weird things have been going on have been about the future of the Defenders, with various parties either saying the core concept is dead, doing a second season with different characters, or Daredevil coming back to it, etc.

But I’m thinking that actually Disney will pull the plug entirely on everything in anticipation of moving off. The blood and gore isn’t too far off in The Punisher from Daredevil so I’m kinda thinking they’ll move that too. \

— Alan

Netflix has claimed Iron Fist was all their decision, but in the wake of the Luke Cage cancellation that’s harder to buy. But again, we’ll see - it’s barely plausible that neither show was performing to their standards and Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Punisher will continue. If any of those get cancelled I’m comfortable concluding Disney’s called in their chips.

Slight correction: Jessica Jones was renewed for a third season already.

— Alan

I think this and Iron Fist were victims of expense. The licensing costs just weren’t worth the viewer or marketing numbers they were getting.

Something to remember in all this: Netflix bought all the rights to all Marc Millar’s stuff (except Kingsman and Kickass?) a while back, and has even started publishing an honest-to-god new-IP dead-tree-format comic by Millar. Netflix knows exactly what their deal with Disney is, and has been preparing for it. We all say this is Disney eliminating their competition, but it could also be Netflix not wanting to keep paying the competition money and diluting interest in their own upcoming stuff.

And reality is probably somewhere in the middle. Unless Netflix goes completely to self owned and produced material, they are always going to be paying someone. I doubt paying money to Disney/Marvel is bugging them. Of course without knowing exactly what the contractual terms and rights are there’s not much people here can say that isnt complete conjecture.

That’s not the way these things work. The cancellations were certainly Netflix’s decisions only.

The liscensing fees for these characters I’m sure did add costs that other Netflix shows don’t have so that probably factored into it too.

That’s not normally how these things work. I don’t believe for a second that Disney doesn’t have some kind of clause regarding cancellation. Look at how they control their properties. Am I saying they can pull the plug at any time? Probably not, but I think there are conditions where Netflix can be maneuvered straight out of a renewal.

— Alan

I never watched more than the first season of Luke Cage (I may have watched one episode of the second, or part of it). Same thing with the second season of Jessica Jones–loved the first season to bits, but the second didn’t grab me. On the other hand I watched through the whole second season of Daredevil (aka The Punisher Season 0).

Honestly the thing that makes me most suspect?

Daredevil isn’t advertised on site at all. Like I knew it was coming out and had to fucking search for it. It’s not even in my fucking alerts, even though I’ve watched every single season of every Marvel show.

Every new show and new season of a show gets plastered on the front page, but Daredevil? Nothing. I got an alert for Ron White. I’ve never watched anything on Netflix that would hint I would want to watch Ron White. Release day for Daredevil, their biggest show? Crickets.

Every other season of every show is plastered across everything everywhere. I don’t think I even saw a Tweet. I only knew about the date because a streamer on Twitch mentioned it in passing and I googled the date.

Yep… Same here. I had to really dig around to find DD. Sad.

Something I noticed too; when I looked for it on the web browser it showed up easily; on the Xbox One app none of the Marvel shows were even coming up at all (they used to have a Marvel carousel quite recently). I basically had to really hunt specifically for it.

— Alan

No, no network makes a deal where the outside 3rd party has say over their show. Disney is not some God that controls everything. Netflix is in charge of their shows and only them as they pay the bills for it.

Disney is not a third party; they are the other party. The production is also done at ABC Studios, owned by Disney.

I’m content to just leave it at that, but I’m just thinking that you guys are seriously wrong if you believe that Marvel doesn’t have at least some control over their own properties in this day and age.

— Alan

Though interestingly Disney is saying it doesn’t have plans to bring Luke Cage to its streaming service, according to a Deadline article.

— Alan

Wait, Daredevil S03 is already out and watchable? They sure are keeping it a secret if so.