Mass Effect 3, the 'Endless' spoiler thread

I finally finished the game and very much want to discuss all parts of it, but I find the only available thread for that is overflowing with discussion about the ending. While I agree that particular discussion is important, I would also like to talk about all the other stuff.

Hence this thread, for all ME3-stuff that is NOT ‘the Ending’. Which weapons did you like best? What was the best/worst sidequest? Favorite teammates? Etc, etc…, whatever you want, just leave the other discussion in the other thread please?

And, to get it started, I’ll post some of the things I know wouldn’t get read in the other thread:

I started my second playthrough, including our Prothean friend this time, and I wondered when I will be able to use him on missions? So far, he’s still ‘too tired’.

And another thing I was wondering about: who do you get as a doctor, if you decide to leave Chakwas in the lab instead of inviting her back?

You can get Dr. Michel (from the beginning of the first game). I ended up with nobody.

I’m not certain, but I think the Prothean stops being too tired for mission after Tuchanka (or maybe it’s after the Citidel shenanigans that happen after you finish Tuchanka). He might have become available sooner than that, and I’m only remembering it that way because I took Garrus to Tuchanka because of the Krogan-Turian politics involved.

Liara was a must-have for me on every mission, because Singularity rules, and nobody else has it (both my FemShep and male Shep were soldiers).

The Saber hits like a dinosaur on crack, and the best description of it’s sweet sound is actually something Yahtzee said about the shotgun in Bulletstorm: “…sounds like God slamming his car door.” You don’t get this weapon until a few missions before the end, which is unfortunate given it’s awesomeness.

If you have Chakwas as your medic and do the mission to negotiate with the guy in the Citadel docks for some medical supplies, she increases the effectiveness of Medi-Gel (but I don’t think it makes a difference on Normal or lower difficulty), and if you do that one for Michel, she increases your Medi-Gel capacity by one.

I either have to play these games or stop reading these threads.

Ah, oke, I’ll have to wait a bit longer then, to see my Prothean in action then. I loved Tuchanka btw, especially the ancient ruins (which might have something to do with me being an archaeologist, I don’t know… ;-)) That, and Krogans rule anyway, too bad I cant recruit them anymore…

Not sure if I will choose not to cure the genophage this time: I find I want to try ‘bad’ stuff, but when push comes to shove, I can’t… Yes, I’m a woos… Will it affect war-assets in any way?

The Saber… I don’t think I used that one on my first playthough (Where I basically used that batarian sniperrifle/assaultrifle, combined with my powers (I chose Sentinel the first run through). Second run is infiltrator, and I allready miss the singularity-warp/throw/pull combo…

As for the choice between doctors: definitaly Chakwas then: the extra effectiveness was very usefull IMO (on hardcore).

IMO: start playing ;-)

But otherwise: yeah, it gets a bit hard to understand this posts if you haven’t played it…

This reminds me of one of the weird little oversights in the Mass Effect story. Throughout the game, Biotics are treated pretty special. We see that they have to go through special training, we see how they’re separated from regular soldiers and trained differently. We saw some of this in Mass Effect 1 with Kaiden’s background, and a lot in Mass Effect 3 with those biotic students that Jack is in charge of, and what we saw of Liara’s homeworld, a planet full of biotics where life is very different as a result.

And yet, I played as a hybrid biotic class in Mass Effect 2 and 3, and no one brought up any hints that Shepard had biotic training. When you’re talking to Kaiden, it’s always about Kaiden being a biotic, not about how both Shepard and Kaiden are biotics. Or that Liara is a fellow biotic. I didn’t realize this in Mass Effect 1, since I didn’t play a character with any biotic abilities, but it seems like as far as the narrative is concerned, Shepard is not a biotic in any way, right? Or is my particular narrative always playing out this way because I was not a biotic in Mass Effect 1?

Interesting point. I doubt you not playing a biotic in ME1 has anything to do with it, but can’t check it because I never played a Biotic in ME 1 either. But as far as I can tell, there are no remarks about Shepards class and abilities at all, are there? That in itself is indeed a little oversight…

As for Jack: she died in ME2 in the savegame I used for my first playthrough, but is still alive in the save I use now. Will she replace the doctor at the facility that has a relation with Anderson? Because, quite frankly, I did like that part of the story aswell. Made Anderson a bit more human…

God, the courtyard in that lvl… I must have played that 40 times before I got through (after tuning down the difficulty a bit, just for that fight…)

No, Jack replaces whoever was training the kids in that mission, not Anderson’s old flame.

Meaning here ME2 survival wasn’t very longlived then… ?

If you do the school mission promptly, Jack is there and remains alive.

If you dawdle, the school is lost and Jack is captured by Cerberus and fights you as a phantom in the Cerberus base.

I haven’t played it without Jack there – and loyal, which might make a difference – but obviously whoever replaces her isn’t nearly as competent/powerful as she is, because she makes damn sure everyone gets out alive, including herself.

Interesting how games can change your opinion of characters. I really didn’t like Jack and her “I’m a badass bitch” attitude in ME2, but in ME3, I really like the character she’s become. It’s also cool how her students kid with/mock her - they all shout “I will destroy you” at some point, and she takes it in good humor and obviously cares for them. I think the change she took is pretty cool.

What do you mean by promptly? I dawdled and did a bunch of scanning, went off to do an N7 mission, and returned a couple of times to the Citadel before I did the school and Jack was still there.

Certain side missions are locked to your progress with the priority missions. If you do the next priority before clearing the side mission, you will lose that side mission.

Ah, got it. I knew Priority missions could screw things up. I thought you meant there actually was some time limit to taking the Academy mission.

You guys can shut this thread down. Now that Bioware is releasing DLC to clarify the ending, the other thread will surely move back to other discussion!

Whew! Glad we got that ending stuff sorted out. So how about that EDI? Hot stuff, am I right?

Word. I liked her gold unitard thing.