Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

Are you saying this goes beyond the passive bonuses that specifically say they get bonuses from your skills in that tree, or do you just mean the skills that say that (which is what i assumed)?

Yes, that is the one.

I did end up beating it after changing up some armor and skills. I was never able to save during the entire area though and it was probably over half an hour. Who knows if it auto saved but my guess is no, or only before the boss guy.

It seems like the kett sword i was using regenerated my health. The Asari sword regenerates my shields though. I’m not sure whether this is linked to the weapon or vanguard’s siphoning strike. I think i probably prefer regenerating health but the kett swords have such long wind up that they are annoying to use.

Origin can’t capture screenshot, and alt-printscreen doesn’t work. What a PITA.

So I am confused. I have blueprints in my inventory. I also have blueprints in my research/dev terminal. However, they are not the same. There are some in my inventory that are not in the research terminal, and other in the terminal that are not in my inventory, and there are some in both places. I have a sniper rifle blueprint in my inventory that I want to make. How can I get it into my research/dev terminal so that I can create it?

Yep. Combos are very powerful.

Incinerate + concussive shot = big boom and fire everywhere (when upgraded). I love it.

AFAIK there are no blueprints in your inventory, just the weapons themselves. Can you take a screenshot?

If I go into my inventory, the categories across the top are:

Weapons
Armor
Consumables
Research
Resources

Under “Research” it has a list of blue prints. These do not match those at the Research/Development terminal.

You were right. I would have never have found that. Thanks! On the loadout screen you need to press RB to go past weapons and armor and consumables, until you get to a squad tab, and you can change your squad configuration there.

Ok, I figured it out. All blueprints show up in your inventory. But only the blueprints that you have the materials to craft show up in the development terminal/screen. If you lack a material, it won’t show up there. Seems poorly thought out IMO. All blueprints should should show up, and if you can’t build them, the lacking materials should just be highlighted in red or something.

No, this is only the far left sub-section of the development terminal.

That subsection specifically has stuff in it that you can craft. But you can go into any specific type of object (like weapons) and then see all of the stuff you can craft, even if you don’t have the materials.

Overall, the whole UI design is kind of balls.

Ah, yes, I see that now. If you use what I will call the “Everything” category, they don’t show up. Only if you use the “Weapon” category do they all show up. Very inconsistent. Thanks for the additional info, this was very frustrating to me.

Ya, the “everything” category is really the “Stuff you can build right now” category.

Once you play more, that part of the UI becomes pretty much useless, because you have enough resources to build almost anything… so the list gets crazy long.

What’s worse, to determine if you do have the stuff to build something, you need to look for its… absence from the list? Bad.

Really, it’s just bad UI design from numerous perspectives. Certainly not the worst, but not good.

Discovered something that finally made me irrationally angry. I’ve been purposefully mostly quiet here because I can overlook a hell of a lot of things and am an unapologetic Mass Effect lover.

But today I found out that greyed out options in dialogue cutscenes…i.e. the options you’ve previously chosen, will return new dialogue.

For example. Did you talk to Suvi about her faith already? And then went on a mission and came back to the Tempest? Better ask her again because apparently she has something new to say.

Holy shit, Bioware…really? I don’t know why this should bother me more than the UI or a few other things…but boy does it.

Oh yeah, I found that out for an entirely different conversation. That Russian guy on the Nexus, Addison’s assistant, can thaw out individuals you can send out to the colonies, but that options grays out after you check the first time. You’ve got to select again if there are subsequent colonists you want to wake up. That’s annoying.

Because it’s insanely bad signaling about one of the best parts of a Bioware game. And encourages getting the same dialogue over and over when stuff hasn’t changed because there’s no way to tell. Which has been an ongoing problem in previous games and yet I had been thinking Andromeda was doing better - your crew will be scattered around the ship doing stuff and having ambient conversations most of the time, but if they have a new major conversation to have with you they’re in their room on the ship and the door doesn’t automatically open. That’s good signposting. Still gotta run around a bit but at least it’s not the size of Skyhold in Inquisition.

Yeah the parent question/topic will still be grayed even if the branching child follow-up replies would yield new options. I also found out via the Russian guy too.

So I actually completed a playthrough not knowing that at all. Fantastic.

That said, I’m still extremely baffled by all the hate from games critics on this one. It’s not without flaw by any means, as we’ve established re: dialogue greying, and for example I think the first boss fight is terrible, and the checkpointing/saving could be better and I don’t know why it doesn’t let you quicksave when IIRC every single other singleplayer Bioware game for the last several years at least does. But like…the complaint that you’re worshipped because you’re a Pathfinder and it’s not earned is like…wut? Pretty much everyone that knows how you were made Pathfinder is skeptical of your qualifications at best, and Cora in particular is upset that she was suddenly passed over without explanation. People who don’t (like some of the general staff on the Nexus, presumably) are happy to see you because Pathfinders are really important to the project and you’re the first one to turn up. There’s no worship, though. As you start to do really important things to help the mission succeed then some (but not all) tunes change. Tann, for example, immediately positions himself to take advantage of your rise. But it’s still not like they’re describing. It’s all very logical and in tune with what’s going on narratively. Or “isn’t it convenient that you’re the only one who can activate these alien ruins that people have been poking at for ages?” Well, there’s a freaking reason for that, and it’s not that you’re a chosen one. it’s that you have a really powerful unrestricted AI linked into your brain in a way that nobody else has or would be willing to do.

Well yeah I still highly enjoyed the game even not realizing I’d missed X dialogue. I didn’t see any strange bugs, I got over the save system, I got over the animations. Enjoyed the hell of it until about the 38th hour or so and then went straight to the end because I just got tired of ferrying back and forth from planet > Nexus > other planet > Nexus for side quests.

I missed a lot of stuff, just gives me a good reason to play it again.

Except for right now I went back and installed the trilogy and hopped into ME 1 again. :)

I’d be interested in your perspective on how the original trilogy holds up after playing Andromeda. Partly because I’m tempted to do the same thing.

I’ve had a quest turn up on the map before I’d gotten it (or it was even available), and another one where the final firefight didn’t complete until I left for a while, came back, and got it to spawn dudes again. Plus a really weird bit where I talked to Jaal in the Crew Quarters, got the standard dialogue options I’d already explored (but perhaps with new content that I didn’t know about!) as the camera went…somewhere… and then when I ended it I was in the Tech Lab, went to exit, and triggered a cutscene conversation with him. o.0