Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

It is a semi sequel to a much loved series and while it is good in its own right, it does not live up to the ones that came before it in basically any way. It also feels buggy and unpolished. I don’t think it is a surprise that jilted fans will judge it more harshly than it deserves.

Wow, that sucks. Thanks for the heads up. I’m glad you told us before I got in too far.

I thought the same, that if something is grayed out, there’s no new options under that dialog header.

@malkav11 was also talking about two specific criticisms in reviews that I also noticed. And I agree with him that those two don’t make any sense to me either.

i just fully modded (my first time) ME3 with input from the subreddit on what was essential. Am about to do it to ME2 and ME1 as well to add things like full controller support.

Could you link that? Never played on PC before, would be good info to have.

Oh wow, full controller support? I’d be willing to play through the trilogy again on PC if I could play using a controller without futzing around with xbox… I forgot what it used to be called, but it was never really convenient.

Yeah, full support with onscreen graphics patched in from the 360 versions. Let me get a quick writeup together.

Nice. Yes, write it up, and start a new thread for it too, that way it won’t be lost somewhere in the midst of the Andromeda thread.

Nah, put it in the Fallout 4 thread. Make people work for it.

Thread here for modding ME: Mass Effect modding for dummies:

An update from Bioware: https://twitter.com/bioware/status/847244079159103488

From a poster on the ME subreddit thread about it:

My short wishlist:

Storage chest for Tempest
10 brand new Asari faces, for major characters. Random faces for side NPCs <-not going to be feasible for patch
Remove SAM’s constant messages about cold/heat.
Reduce frequency of mining interface dialogue.
Add indicator to conversations when new content is available under a previously selected menu
Animation fixes/polish for cutscenes (backwards gun???)
Decrease travel time on the galaxy map when moving between planets.
Add ability to board the Tempest without leaving the planet
Improve menus
Make it so that the map closes when you press escape (or M again)
Change journal so that you can see all active quests without traversing 5 submenus
Prioritize squad banter over SAM’s repeated dialogue about mining.
Fix the issue of future dialogue activating earlier than usual. (e. g. squad mates talking about xxx before even knowing of his race)
Reduce the number of NPCs with flaming red/orange/yellow hair. <------THIS
fix the bug that causes squad banter not to happen

On the contrary, I think it’s actively better than ME2 and 3 both on the majority of levels and a great return to the approach that makes ME1 the best of the original trilogy. I’m personally leaning towards Andromeda being the best game in the series so far but I reserve that final judgment until I’ve actually finished it. Not that it doesn’t have problems, but so did literally every other game in the series. And the bugs will hopefully be patched. Obviously some people don’t agree but a lot of their criticisms seem…ill-founded. Or based on a much rosier view of 2, especially, than it actually deserves.

My biggest problem with MEA is dullness. I’m level 42 and there have been no amusing side-plots, the party banter is weak, and the romance is painful. There’s more humor in one Salarian G&S routine than in this whole game so far, and more character in asshole-Shepard poisoning a bartender’s drink and forcing him to choke it down than in the two (2) lame QTEs I’ve seen so far plus the rest of the story combined.

But I’ll give it this, so far I haven’t drowned in a million guns I have to sort by hand after every combat, I haven’t fought a giant tentacle-monster boss (well, okay, architects don’t really count) and I haven’t been led to a room where I flip a switch to determine the fate of the galaxy (not yet anyway).

I hope MEA has a Towers of Hanoi puzzle!

I mean all of this is a matter of taste but although Andromeda’s story is overall quieter and its characters are more average (as opposed to ME2’s group of special snowflakes - and to be clear, I love most of those snowflakes), I don’t see either as flaws. And there’s plenty of humor if you’re going around talking to people regularly and reading the crew board and emails. There’s also less, more narratively appropriate and rewarding sidequesting than Inquisition (where the flood of boring makework was one of the game’s big flaws) and while there’s almost certainly more of that sort of thing in aggregate than any given one of the other ME games, they’re still generally more interesting than say, the side planets in ME1, or planet scanning etc in ME2 and 3.

Wow, that is the first thing that I think is really screwed up.

I picked out the things I think that they could actually pull off in a decent timeframe, and all of these things would be a huge boon, imho.

I too would like to board the Tempest without leaving a planet but that seems like it would be quite a bit of work, since those mini-cutscenes are essentially loading screens.

I see no reason they can’t cut down on SAM’s silly messages and fix the conversation dialogue triggers.

Will do. My very first impression is that the first game really needs texture mods, and it’s very very strange switching from ME:A combat to ME1 combat :) Working on textures right now, tomorrow will play, see how they work out.

They should just enable R&D station in every forward station.

I’d love to see the Nexus rewards accumulate. I don’t know why they thought that returning to the tempest every 45 mins would be fun. And without those resources you can’t really experiment with gear - I’m lvl 30 and researched maybe 2-3 items per category (milky, heleus, remnant) up to level 5 before I ran out of research points. It really puts a damper on experimentation and feels really at odds with the Profile thing they have going on which is supposed to encourage it.