Massive Chalice: the fabulous Gaffney girls

Title Massive Chalice: the fabulous Gaffney girls
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game diaries
When June 17, 2015

Ainfean Gaffney, a hunter in Massive Chalice, has never been in a battle. She would have been good at it. Being nimble, she has a dexterity bonus that's extremely valuable to hunters..

Read the full article

This is great! I think I like these little articles better than playing the game. But then I seem to be a slow learner.

Tom, I think you just sold me a copy of Massive Chalice. I love the Gaffney Girls!

:o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

Tom, I love this game diary. I had been eyeing MASSIVE CHALICE (can we talk about how great the name looks in all caps in my Steam library?) for a while, but you and Pony Carnival and the Steam sale pushed me over the edge into getting it, and I am enjoying it so much. For so many of the same reasons that you bring up.
Following the bloodlines you set up is great, and those bloodlines are the true "heroes" that you grow attached to, instead of the squad based ones that everyone seemed to miss from XCOM. Speaking of XCOM, I was very guilty of reloading saves when my best guys died, but in MASSIVE CHALICE (I love typing that in all caps) I can push past it a lot easier since I know if I have set up a strong bloodline, there will be a sibling along shortly to take up the mantle. Even though it still hurts.
Even though the whole thing makes me feel like the Master of Eugenics. Oh well.

You mentioned how you lose the first time not knowing what the final boss is going to be like.

Does it avoid the problem of FTL where the final boss makes it so only 1.5-2 approaches work?

People complain about not getting to get attached to their heroes. But I feel you very much can get attached to the houses, and their relics. And every now and then, some of the heroes will last long enough to be memorable as well. And then there are the uncanny genetic callbacks; the first and the last of the Quaches in the game I just beat had remarkably similar traits (among other things, longevity and reveler).

And then of course there is SPOILERS

Does Massive Chalice make writing game diaries easy, or is Tom just good at turning games into narratives?