Master of Magic remake, created by Thea devs, published by Slitherine

Started a game in a dry world. I thought it would be interesting, that it would slow things down a little. As a high elf wizard with a lot of nature books, I thought it would help me in that I would be able to do some terraforming of desert (although that is hard to abuse because there are a limited number of turns when you have the luxury of being able to spend your spell power on tile improvements) but I also figured it would hurt me in that elves give you spell power based on pop, and most of cities would be smaller and grow more slowly.

As it turns out, a dry world has another huge impact. At least in my playthrough, one of my rivals drew vastly superior land, compared to the other rivals (at least on Arcanus), so rather than the extended game period of 3-4 rivals neck and neck, trading the lead, one quickly became the elephant in the room.

It’s made for an interesting game, but I don’t think I would set up a dry world again. If I really wanted to play against one AI opponent, that is what I would set up. I like having a whole bunch of viable competitors during mid-game.

I have decided, though, on a clear favorite race in the game. High elves. Their elven lords are really, really powerful. And now I have some with adamantium!

Elves are great. Their growth penalty doesn’t seem as rough in COMW for whatever reason, and they’re very well rounded and strong across the board.

And of course Longbows. The few times in the past I dabbled in vanilla Mom, I played Elves.

Of all the games in my rotation now, CoMfW is the game I want to play the most.

How did your previous game end?

If you were asking me… I ended up conceding to Sharee. She owned the other plane, and I did not have nearly the assets to counter that.

My decided that I did not play aggressively enough, and that I made too little use of heroes. Current game, I think I am addressing the first, but not the latter. But I smell a victory. Overwhelmingly dominant on arcanus, and have just broken through to the other plane where there appear to be a lot of fairly even wizards. Sharee is once again the greatest threat, but I still have some to meet.

So the one I have to buy is the 3.50 on gog? Too many posts

Yes, it’s Caster of Magic for Windows. You need the original Mom too. It will show you what you need.

Sorry, yes I was directing that at you. What difficulty are you playing in the new game?

At “fair.” That’s plenty tense enough for me. :)

Still playing my Highmen game, but I can’t build an Armorer’s Guild to get Paladins. I have a Fighter’s Guild and the year is 1506. The Com guide says it can’t be built before 1406. Any ideas?

My war with Tauron the Chaos wizard is going well. I’ve taken a few of his cities, and I’m starting to tech and expand my economy. I’m ahead of Tauron on the graphs, but the wizard I’m allied with is way ahead of me in magic power. I need to address this.

Seravy added a spell called Tree of Knowledge that must be cast to build certain buildings, of which the Armorer’s Guild is one. This was the only way to prevent certain beeline strategies I guess because there’s no “tech tree” in the game as such.

Wait, don’t slingers need that same building?

According to the CoMW manual slingers need the Fighters Guild.

Well, that is a change.

Thanks! Didn’t see that in the documentation. I think I have it researched.

Did they make changes to walls in CoM? This is from the wiki:

" A Melee Attack against a wall section has a better chance of destroying it: 50%. If a Ranged Attack is used, it only has a 25% chance of destroying the targeted section."

I know there’s a spell and unit ability to destroy walls. A ranged unit cannot target a wall. I fired many ranged shots at the same wall segment with a unit behind it and the wall was never destroyed. Melee units cannot target a wall. It was hard to tell if melee attacking a unit behind a wall ever destroys a wall.

I’m guessing that refers to Wall Crusher attacks that like giants and catapults have.

OK, thanks.

Still playing this nonstop. I might have to put it down long enough to reacquaint myself with Old World, but right now it’s like an addiction. :)

Anyway, I’m having a strange run. I had been playing repeatedly on “Fair” difficulty, and getting a little cocky about my ability to dominate by midgame. Seravy has done a great job putting in stuff to make it still interesting, even when by all measures you are dominating. But still, I was thinking I was being foolish to continue on “Fair.” So I told myself, one last time at this level.

Good thing I stayed on “Fair” because WOW. I have learned to be more aggressive to intruders, so when Merlin sent a settler into my continent early on, I summarily killed it. So he sent another, and I killed it, too. I figured, hey, he’ll be weak, losing two early settlers. But no, he sent two more, and when I checked the “Historian” tab, I saw he was the early leader, with a big lead in population. Crap, he seems to have the ability to crank out settlers at will.

So I diverted enough mana to arm my cities securely with bears, and beelined to magicians. Normally, early magicians equals security to go about building up infrastructure. Well, the same turn my first magician unit was trained, my exploring magic spirit unit met up with Oberic’s stack made up mostly of magicians! Wowzers, and I thought I was off to a very good start.

I actually went back and checked whether I had accidentally cranked up the difficulty level a notch or two.

I’ll say it again, I have never before played a game of this sort where the AI presented the level of excitement that Caster or Magic for Windows does.

Playing as High Elves and I can not for the life of me figure out how to take a Life Node guarded by Great Wyrms. In this game they are truly great.

IIRC Wyrms can’t hit fliers. If you bring enough fliers to kill at least one of em, you can wear them down. Fliers can retreat safely if nothing in the other stack can hit them.