Master of Magic remake, created by Thea devs, published by Slitherine

Don’t forget in MoM small low tier units tend to have several figures!

Saw this today, has a couple twitch videos of game play, one of them by Quill18.

There is so much coming out from now to the end of the year that I am interested in:

Tactics Ogre Reborn
Midnight Suns
Master of Magic

Sure there are others that I can not remember at the moment.

This comes out in 2 days. I will definitely buy it, but watching a Das Tatcic preview I’m disappointed they didn’t change the “buy-out” mechanic: the amount charged depends on the fraction of the project that’s been completed, but the production just accumulates and isn’t attached to any particular thing, so e.g.you can build for one turn accumulating 4 production, buy a spearman at 2gold/1 production, then switch to building a granary with 9/30 already accumulated and so on. If what’s being produced can be switched w/o cost then it doesn’t make sense to have a discount based on the ratio of amount built to cost of the current project.

They weren’t interested in rebuilding the math.

alas :(

I suppose so, but I’m not sure I agree with the sentiment. For example, your example works for the AI players as well, so I’m not sure what value is to be had by making it so you lose production you’ve invested turn by turn - that just makes the game go slower. I for one am glad they didn’t mess around with any of this stuff and they kept things they way they played originally (except where making changes, like adding QoL stuff, makes sense). I don’t want them tweaking the Dark Elves to be more “fair” either, while they would have been at it.

Let the community mod/patch things out like this, I say.

The problem is this creates an incentive for lots of busywork to minimize buyout costs. One fix would be to simply not change the production to Gold ratio based on how much of the project has been completed

Exactly. Show me a game that rewards micromanagement and I’ll show you a game with tuning and interface issues.

One of the things I adore about the Master of Orion remake, Remnants of the Precursors, is that the designer did a fuckton of work to close those trademark Simtex loopholes. I don’t get the sense much (any?) of that is happening with this Master of Magic remake. :(

Wow, that sounds really good. I finally get to experience the trademark Master of Magic imbalance that reportedly makes the game so much fun. This is really great news.

Well I can tell this thread is gonna be a barrel of laughs over the next few days.

I think after this one, they can do a Master of Magic 2 that can deviate more from the traditional formula.

It’s not just busywork, it’s something the player is clearly not supposed to do (if I understand the description) and needs to go through extra steps to accomplish. The fix is to just not do it.

I wish they would fix the exploit or give me an option to not have it in the game, I don’t want to feel compelled to do boring busy work to stay competitive.

Stay competitive against who? It’s a single player game.

Against AI.

If the AI never does it, I’d be willing to try not to do it either, but I’d rather not have that temptation.

I think you might not be clear on the meaning of the word “fix”. :)

These kinds of things never bothered me in Civ and Civ2. I usually didn’t do it, but if I was behind and wanted to catch up, I did it.

I suppose things are different in the internet age where you can see other people doing it or not doing it. I suppose that might influence my views if I was viewing a lot of negativity of people using exploits and what not and complaining on a Civ board back then, if that was a thing.

Does the AI use it? The AI in 4X games almost always gets production bonuses anyway. And there are always going to be exploits.