Master of Magic remake, created by Thea devs, published by Slitherine

The UI seems like it would be rough with a fat finger and a 5" screen, no?

I watch Hadriex. His main game is a modded version of the original XCOM. His secondary is CoM. I guess he’s real old school. He seems to know what he’s doing.

Maybe, but I have a Note 8 with a fine stylus.

Well, aren’t you just the fanciest of lads!

;)

I am. Fine tip stylus would be more to the point, no pun intended.

It also helps that the Note has a 6.3" screen. Gaming factored into my phone choice.

Yisss . I will reinstall MoM, time for a play anyway.

Me too!

and items for heroes, it worked great. I’m not interested in kitting out every single unit I create (and having to remember which spearmen are designed for which situation). It’s enough that they are spearmen.

Also, there’s a lot of them that do more symmetric spell systems and symmetric tech. MoM doesn’t have a tech tree, it just has what you can build be tied to race with no need to research anything. And it’s better for it! It also has the best Wiz customization (simple but very powerful).

I could understand attaching a score modifier to races, which makes sense. OTOH, I can do without score (I do without it just fine in Moo). It’s enough for me to have discussions with other people and we sort out which races are op/powerful/solid/meh/lol so bad (or whatever).

One thing I wouldn’t mind seeing developed/pushed further: I love the feeling in MoM of the world being out to devour you. The only thing I’ve played that properly ballparks that feeling is Gladius, honestly.

I should make an online tool for rolling wizards/races for the Moo Iron Man Challenge.

Thanks, ill give him a look. If you like original xcom, another streamer i enjoy is xwynn. His focus is xcom 1 long war as well as battle brothers but he plays a variety of other turn based strategy as well.

Thanks, I’ll check him out. I have the original XCOM on my phone and I play XCOM 2.

I agree! Kitting out the heroes with a limited amount of items is enough, especially in combination with ongoing spell enhancement.

I also agree with this. The tech tree being tied into the buildings is great. The focus is on researching spells, and deciding whether to improve casting skill or stockpile mana. Reinforced the fact that it is Master of Magic.

Both MoO and MoM have some really elegant abstract mechanics and systems. But I feel like the genre has mostly moved away from that. And also tended towards symmetry over asymmetry. I say: embrace the crooked and the weird and the over powered.

Y’all, I love MoM but the week Planetfall came out is maybe not the best time to try and fire it back up?

Didn’t you guys chaos channel every single unit you could? Fire breath was awesome on anything with 8 figures.

It’s what made halfling swordsmen such scary units.

Although, Dark elf Spearmen were also kind of cool.

I mean, halflings being madly overpowered is mostly what made them scary ;)

AOW and MoM do not play the same, like… at all to me, at least not the old version of AOW. They never felt that similar.

Sure, they’re pretty different, but I only have so much 4X time, ya know?

It’s been so long… I could easily be not remember perfectly. MoM felt like a blend of Civ and the something like AoW whereas I equated HoMM closer to an AoW sibling.

I’m really hoping a new game can get the exploratory, discovery but not just looking for resources for units feel back. I still loved all those games, well until HoMM kind of screwed it up. I’d give a new one for them another go, probably.

Incidentally, looks like dude is still working actively on Caster of Magic. Definitely you all should check it out!

http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=7751

-Building queues!
-Fixes over 200 bugs.
-Units move more. Population growth is faster. Buildings are cheaper. Yes I know several other mods also do these changes. They really improve the game.
-Building tree is completely redesigned. The player has a lot more choices, and races are generally less restricted in what they can build. Several builds had their numbers adjusted, some even their function. There are 2 new buildings as well!
-AI is significantly improved
-AI is capable of doing things it wasn’t able to before
-AI diplomatic actions like offering treaties now actually happen instead of getting lost in the myriad of self-contradicting checks and conditions.
-AI personality and objective now has a much higher impact on diplomacy and declaration of wars.
-Alliances now provide better benefits to the player
-Game mechanics changes, See Game mechanics
-New hero abilities, see Heroes and abilities
-Restrictions on books and picks are generally less severe, see the game mechanics thread for details.
-The mod puts emphasis on the ability to maintain larger armies. Food upkeep is halved. Roads, Pathfinding and a few other features that allowed excessive movement have been toned down a bit so using the same army to respond everywhere is harder to do (still doable with wind walk and good artifacts)
-Heroes start with better stats, but gain fewer from levels. This makes them a viable unit in the early game, that does make a difference. Early use of heroes is further promoted by an arcane direct damage spell that requires a hero in battle to be used, which replaced Recall Hero. Heroes also contribute only 1/6th of their skill when staying in the fortress, so you better use them for battles instead, that’s what they are for. The AI puts more effort into protecting their own heroes and killing enemy heroes in combat.
-Tax system is redesigned, the options below 1 gold and above 2.5 are out.
-Weak, useless spells have been either buffed or replaced by a completely new spell. Some spells have been moved to new rarities. New spells include Call Centaurs, Construct Catapult, Call to Arms, AEther Binding, Tranquility (same name different effect), Life Force, Eternal Night, Heavenly Light, Fairy Dust, Syphon Life, Summon Zombie, Conjure Roads, Healing Charge, Divine Order and Summon Demon, Aether Sparks, Uranus’ Blessing, Supreme Light, Reaper Slash. The ultimate goal is to make all spells worth casting when following the appropriate strategy, and have them be as powerful as the rarity they appear at.
-Sliders have been eliminated from most spells, but there are exceptions. Direct damage spells generally do a fixed strength attack for a fixed cost, but are more cost effective than the originals.
-Disjunction is now using a linear formula that allows reaching 100% success rate on weaker enchantments.
-Disenchant Area is now limited to dispelling curses on your cities/nodes. You must play Sorcery if you want to dispel all positive spells an enemy casts on their cities or units. This makes those spell types more relevant to the game.
-All units have been rebalanced, they are generally less resistant and have better combat stats.
-Convenience changes, like better Grand Vizier or allowing to produce units in a full town.
-Treasure from encounters completely rebalanced and many flaws in the system fixed.
-Some events are replaced or had their effects enhanced.
-New item powers are added and merging is functional. See the threads for realms for item powers.

It’s a different game, but I highly suggest the Midgard scenerio in Civilization 2.

By the way, did after all the patches and iterations, did the Elemental Game every pan out?

Legendary Heroes is pretty good.