Matthew Perry has died at 54 - TMZ (drowning)

‘Friends’ Star Matthew Perry Dead at 54 After Apparent Drowning (tmz.com)

Only 54. Dang.

Ugh. That’s terrible.

Could be drug related, but I know from experience from friends that doing a couple hours of strenuous exercise and then going into a hot tub can be extremely dangerous, especially if you have high blood pressure.

My brother had a heart attack after going in the hot tub and then jumping into a cold pool.

But this sounds more like either accident or intentional

This sorta feels on a level of Lennon being killed. But Perry was such a beloved figure for Generation X and Millennials, part of an even more beloved group, and now he’s gone far too soon.

He’d worked so hard to straighten himself out, this is terrible.

He entertained me for a decade and more. So sad to see him go at such a young age and not even due to any drug abuse. Ugh!

His last Instagram post was five days ago, from his hot tub. It’s the size of a small swimming pool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyuv2zDrL0r/

As Chandler Bing might say: “Not so much.”

This might be my fault. After all the talk about the surviving cast members of Three’s Company and Night Court, I saw this old pic of the cast of Friends on facebook.

I idly noted that they were all still alive but that sooner or later they wouldn’t be. Could I be any more sorry?

Sad news, ugh what a way to go :(

RIP sir.

There’s money and then there’s Friends money. Rest in peace.

RIP. Between him and Bull it’s been a tough week for must-see TV vets.

This was a very nice piece on Perry on a show that I thought definitely deserved better.

Sepinwall also:

Friends was never must-see-tv for me, but nevertheless when I would catch reruns I always walked away feeling like it was a sitcom that had it right where it counted: The writers knew their characters in and out, and knew where each one’s distinct potential for humor was centered. And the cast were perfect for those characters and found the special rhythms that existed between each part of the ensemble. If I was ever tempted to think one of them was a weak link, some episode would come along and plant the perfect bit for them. A lot of scorn would eventually get heaped on Friends–and I get it!–but those qualities were undeniable and as consistent as any show except maybe Cheers.

Chandler was the easiest to like–on the surface, the funniest; self-deprecating; nervy but loveable. Matthew Perry embodied all that and tapped it for maximum laughs. He obviously had a lot of ups and downs, personally. He probably had a late-career revival along the lines of Ted Danza coming to him, so it’s a shame we won’t get to see it.

I never really liked Friends as a show, but I did like Chandler as a character.

Yeah, I loved ‘Go On’, and it’s a great watch if you haven’t seen it (I think I actually bought the one season off of Apple). Quite disappointed when it was canceled - similar to a few weeks ago when ‘Home Economics’ was cancelled, but at least that got 3 shortened seasons. Never saw ‘Mr. Sunshine’, tho.

TIL that Matthew Perry and Justin Trudeau went to elementary school together.

Perry was three years older so I assume they were in different grades, but still…