Mechanical switch keyboards: Worth it?

I’m a libertarian but BOO! Out of our sexy sensations thread!

I received one of these to review (I’m an amazon Vine reviewer) and it was awesome for about a month. Then the left side spacebar stopped working. I contacted Logitech and they blew me off I guess because it was a review model. I really liked that keyboard, but ended up giving it a fairly negative review. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. I’d love to see them make a nicer version with the same low profile switches and keys on their 915 model and add some backlighting.

Wow, that’s some top quality PR there XD

I picked up a Keychron K1 over the weekend. I love it. Bluetooth, low profile, and can connect to up to 3 devices. I got the blue switches, but while the mechanical keyboard community will wax poetic about how different switches are better, I don’t care. My Saitiek chicklet keyboard was hurting my hands; this one doesn’t. I don’t care about blue, cherry, brown or whatever.

Well you’d have to be deaf to not notice the difference between brown and blue!

Given the work from home situation, I bought a Keychron K4 with optical reds. Now, I kind of wish I had opted for something clickier, though!

Also, the only real complaint I have with mine is the function key, which is used to change which device it’s paired too, is on the right-hand side, and the number keys are on the left. It’s a bit of a stretch to easily switch.

Agreed. Kinda weird the things our ears seem to care about; I can’t stand clicks, but at the same time I have zero interest in the whole “quiet PC” thing as loud case fans don’t bother me one bit. Probably has to do with the age of my ears, if I had to guess.

After several months of ownership, I’m pretty happy with the Logitech G613. It has the main features I wanted:

• Wireless
  • Mechanical switches
  • Can switch between devices (up to two)
  • And the biggie: doesn’t need weekly recharging (two AA batteries can last up to 18 months)

The drawbacks are the lack of backlighting (I’m willing to give that up for long battery life) and the wrist-rest is non-removable. Some people aren’t a fan of Romer G switches but I think they’re fine. I do wish Logitech would make a model without the G function keys on the lefthand side.

I ended up going with the K70 Mk.2 with silly LED backlighting. (My original was the red backlight.) Moved the red one up to my work rig and have the new one on my gaming rig where the “ooh ahh” of the flowing LEDs is more appropriate.

Had to do something with the WAH situation, and I liked my original K70’s feel and layout, and the mechanical ergo keyboards I saw were all pricey and/or compromised in layout.

At the beginning of quarantine / WFH, I decided to treat myself to a mechanical keyboard. We have office supplied MacBooks, and the broken-by-design keyboard on mine is slowly getting to the “actually broken” point. In deference to the MacBook, I went with Wirecutter’s Bluetooth pick (the iKBC CD87). Wasn’t sure what switches to go with, so I ended up on Cherry Browns, since this is mostly a work keyboard and that’s the “middle ground typing” recommendation. Mac support seems pretty solid, although I’m considering picking up some mac-specific keycaps just for looks.

I haven’t used a tenkeyless keyboard in a long time, so it feels a little weird to occasionally go for that and be unable to, although I do appreciate the compactness. I’m enjoying the feel of the keyboard more than I expected, but it’s been a couple weeks now, and I’m still more prone to typos on it than I feel like I should be. Maybe I should have gone with a linear switch? I’m concerned that the Browns are already too noisy to bring back into the office, considering my daughter has already complained about the “clack clack clack” that comes from my home office when I’m working, but maybe the ambient office noise will drown that out.

Reds, man. Reds are the jam.

You’ve inspired me to post! When we got stuck at home I got a iKBC CD108 to hook up to my Macbook Pro. This keyboard is like yours but I guess mine is a 108 and not an 87 because it has the numeric keypad on the right. I got the Cherry Reds and I really like it a lot more than the Logitech mechanical keyboard that’s on my desktop PC in the basement.

It came with a key cap puller and two bags of assorted specially colored keys. The one thing it didn’t have that sort of made me sad was keycaps for the Command key (since I’m using this for Mac only). But if I want to color my shift key green or the arrow keys yellow, I’m all set.

Very happy with this and I recommend it!

My wife can’t stand the sound of the brown, while she isn’t bothered by the “noisy” blue, so it’s a very personal thing.
I think there are newer ones that even prevent the small tapping noise to the bottom, but Red feeling already unsatisfiying to type with to me, I’m not curious to try those.

It’s been mentioned to me that you can buy bulk o-rings that are supposed the dampen the sound of bottoming out, so I may experiment with those if it becomes an issue in an office environment.

Loving the K70 as far as non-ergo keyboards go, but this thing looks like it might be the dream keyboard. Blue clicky switches, ergo layout, center-placed Enter and Shift keys but ALSO has the traditional Enter etc. while you’re learning, and numeric pad version because flight sims need All The Keys.

$259, but I’m really tempted…

Yeah, that’s a nice keyboard. I’m using a HyperX Alloy with SilverSpeed switches for gaming, and my old Corsair mechanical is now on my work machine (which is my old gaming machine, hooked up to three monitors for online teaching stuff). The HyperX is good for gaming but not so hot for typing, as the switches are so fast it results in a lot of duplicated letters. The Corsair is great. I spilled stuff on it a while back and thought it was dead, but after drying it out and some extensive cleaning with alcohol and swabs, it works fine again except for a few light-up keys that, well, don’t light up now.

I have a Hyper x Alloy elite as well. Feel free to spill something on it as well, it can take it. Mine loves coffee.

When I had a cat-related spill on my Corsair that resulted in a bunch of sticky keys, I didn’t have the patience to dissassemble and clean it so I tried the dishwasher trick. Let it dry out for a few days after and it’s as good as new and still working months later.

In the past I put the keys in a mesh bag and put the bag in the clothes washer. The board itself and the electronics I cleaned with a rag.