Mechanical switch keyboards: Worth it?

From the other side of the spectrum, I buy mechanical keyboards for my laptops because I can’t stand not having a numpad.
The answer is within you, @YakAttack!

Add me to the list that will only buy a keyboard with a numpad. It’s a totally worthwhile investment of precious desk real estate.

Why not a mechanical numpad?

Got some of those as well, for when on the move.

I love that that numpad has parentheses on it. That was one of my favorite features of the Atari ST’s keyboard. It made typing in programs so much quicker…at least it felt quicker.

More on topic: Is there a good mechanical keyboard for fat fingers? I tried a Corsair K70 years ago (IIRC) and gave it up because I was always hitting more than one key at a time.

May I suggest these finger exercises?

That is a fantastic idea. I’m afraid though that my fingers will end up so ripped, I’ll have the same problem.

I ended up doing exactly this, and liked the setup so much, I ordered the same keyboard (except this time with 104 keys) and a third-party keyset for myself! Total cost was ~$50.

Wow, that’s an amazing price! I pay usually three times that price for my mechanical keyboards, and am already happy with my purchase, I bet you won’t regret it.

The first package arrived since I posted that. Damn this thing is noisy!

The sound is a very funny matter: for instance I use usually brown keys, which make less noise than blue ones. Well, after some days, my wife ended up hating those “silent” ones, and not minding the blue’s clickety noises as much.
It won’t be much of a bother soon enough — excepting if you are trying to sneakily type something while on the phone ;)

Worth noting that at that price, it is absolutely using one of the various Chinese knock-offs of Cherry switches that have proliferated in the last 5 years or so since their patent expired. Some of these are actually pretty okay, and there are even people who prefer the action or sound of a given knock-off switch than the original Cherries, but some of them are also very low quality and prone to failure, hitching, etc.

I don’t think mechanical keyboards really warrant the goofy-fuck $200+ price tags they often come with, but I’d be really careful buying a sub-$50 one, checking for lots of reviews, especially from users who’ve had and used it for awhile.

The one I got, but without the 10key, has some pretty good reviews. Only Newegg has the one with the 10key for some reason (and there are no reviews there).

Ah yeah, VicTsing are definitely better than a TON of the garbage Chinese knockoff brands that show up on Amazon for six months and then disappear before all the warranty claims start to come in. Not, like, amazing or anything, but definitely super solid. And doubleshot keys at $30 is awesome.