Megaquarium - marine life management sim from the Big Pharma people

This seems right up my alley, though I’m curious how they balance the visitor entertainment aspect with the science aspect. And it better have a meditation mode a la Abzu.

Official site.

Pip’s RPS preview.

I saw this on RPS and breezed right past it, but now that I know it’s from the developers of Big Pharma you have my attention.

Looks interesting. I liked Big Pharma, so I’m willing to see how this one turns out.

I do wish someone would make one of these tycoon-style sims that has a better/more realistic beginning. I talked about this in the Planet Coaster thread, but the modern version of these businesses the games are centered around do not start as tiny operations and grow organically. For example, no one builds a modern aquarium with two or three small tanks, then over time adds new attractions, slowly getting bigger and more complex. These businesses start as gigantic investment projects with sponsors, research partnerships, and academic and commercial contributions. (Same with theme parks.) These games all treat these businesses like they’re still being started in the 1930’s.

I guess I know why they do it this way. It would be very difficult to have the creative stuff all upfront, then have all the rest of the game be about management, but man, I wish someone would figure this stuff out.

This, and I imagine it also makes it tougher to ease new players through the learning curve.

They could have an advanced game mode where you have to haggle with VC agents over their potential investment.

They could even use the get-a-handshake-before-the-biscuits-run-out mechanic from Theme Park.

The developer is on the latest Crate and Crowbar podcast discussing the game in depth (though it sounds like development is still in its very early stages).

For a game that just doesn’t sound fun to me. I like starting small, researching and adding new things to build, and knowing I built someone from nothing. What you’re talking about is a different kind of game. Not really even a Tycoon type game anymore but one about collecting funding, grants, corporate sponsors, etc. After being involved in that kind of thing for several years of my life, it is not a very enticing gameplay aesthetic.

The sandbox gameplay options in the coaster games kind of mirrors what you desire, just without the terminology.

Well, it’s not all that far from the scenarios most tycoon/business sim games give you, with pre-built parks/cities/space stations suffering some sort of crisis.

I have never found these scenarios in tycoons as fun as building from scratch. I want to be the guy opening a zoo that has one giraffe, maybe a coke vending machine, and nothing else.

“Do you think we could see the whole giraffe in a single day!?!”

“I’m not sure we could swing that. We’ll have to really hurry.”

I thought about this game today, and after checking into it I see that there is a coming soon page on steam:

and a series of video logs on youtube by the developer:

Their website mentions Q1 2018, looking forward to it!

Pip Warr loves it:

Not sure she’s entirely impartial though.

Wow this is coming out very soon! Looking at other random reviews on the internet they all sound pretty positive. I wonder what the launch price will be, $20?

Watching the dev play through a campaign level gave off a pretty good vibe. I think after watching that, I’ll probably pick this up for the coming weekend or Christmastime.

I cant’ find pricing information anywhere. So I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.

Looks pretty good, I remember hearing about this last year , then radio silence.

I thought that too, but was surprised a few months ago to see that the dev had been uploading gameplay videos to YouTube regularly for a long time.

Cool!

Price point is 24.99 USD

Also, available for purchase now.

No launch discount, lack of interesting steam achievements, and one of the reviewers saying it’s too basic (although they were otherwise positive about it) is making me hold off for now. I like the developer and the theme of the game though, will wait to see the steam user reviews.

EDIT: scratch that, there is a launch discount, 10% off to 22.5

Tom Francis’s initial impressions on C&C were very positive. I’ll probably pick it up while the launch discount is active but I don’t know how much time I’ll have to devote to it between Spiderman, Tomb Raider and of course Two Point Hospital. Two good tycoon games in the space of a fortnight!