Metro 2033 sequel: Metro Last Light

Nothing wrong with Metacritic. Linking developer pay to Metacritic is stupid, though.

Ok, linking pay to an arbitrary number is insane, but Metacritic is still terrible.

According to a recent translated podcast with 4A’s CEO Andrey Prokhorov, their next game is going to be an open-world space FPS. ‘STALKER in space’ sounds pretty damn appealing.

Then again, it could be Precursors – amazing in scope, not so much in execution.

I forgot about that game, scharmers. Precursors was similar to Deep Shadows other work, Boiling Point. Cool on paper, but a buggy mess. All the games 4A have been involved with have been reasonably polished, but that could change if they’re planning on working without a publisher. Their pedigree gives me hope they’ll at least make a unique game.

Metro Reduxannounced, a rerelease of both games, digitally for each version (pc, xbox one, ps4) or retail (a pack of the two). Metro 2033 is supposed to be upgraded with technology and gameplay from Metro LL

eh , The first game was ok, but not good enough to make me want to replay just to see updated visuals.

I really need to play Last Light. I picked it up in some bundle for super-cheap and it’s just been sitting in the backlog.

Just for clarification, Redux doesn’t just bring 2033 up to LL’s tech. 4A Games is adding a feature that lets people play 2033 more like LL (more action, less resource management) and lets people play LL more like 2033 (more resource management, less action).

There are also minor graphical upgrades to LL, just in case that game wasn’t good-looking enough for you.

I am curious to see how they plan on selling this to PC players that already have the two games. It sounds like stuff that would be in a DLC or a patch.

The fact they have not announced that the update will be free to existing owners does not make me very optimistic, unfortunately.

The Redux upgrades sound pretty substantial (especially the things they’re doing to 2033) so I wouldn’t expect free. I’m just wondering if we’ll see a substantial “loyalty discount” if you already have the games on Steam, or some kind of DLC offering so we’re not buying a whole game again.

50% discount apparently. Only tempted because I love the games and want more awesome from them.

Yup. 50% loyalty discount. I doubt they’ll get that many people to pony up that much.

Fail. Both games are already pretty enough and play well for what they are. No desire whatsoever to go through them again for the sake a couple of extra shaders or something, much less when charging me for the privilege.

I love these games so much, but this is the same sort of bone-headed business decision as charging for the harder difficultly level. :(

-Tom

I don’t think that’s the case. The main reason for these editions are their release on ps4 and xbox one, where the game doesn’t exist, and people who may have heard of the games but still haven’t played them. For them, 2 good games with all the dlc for $50 is a good price.

I don’t think anyone is concerned about the full price new releases on current-gen consoles. We feel the upgrades should be free, or at most five to ten bucks, if we already own 2033 and LL.

The Witcher guys do massive overhauls for free, and we love them for it. But barring that, they should be DLC priced, not game-priced.

They’ll be five bucks during the Steam holiday sale. I can wait it out.

I feel the same exact way about the last of us on ps4. It feels like a slap in the face to support a company on release and then have them release a +1 version that you need to pay full price again for.

At least that’s a separate console. For metros, they’re charging half price to upgrade on the same system.

Considering I didn’t pay full price for either game anyway, I’m tempted. I know that they aren’t the biggest studio around and the idea of throwing a few extra bucks their way is appealing.