Metroid Dread - 2D Metroid on Switch

Oh shit, this drops this week? Between this and the Castlevania Advance collection, it’s a good time to be me!

As far as I can tell, no.

• You can play the original Metroid (NES) via the Switch Online library*, though you cannot play the remake Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)
  • You cannot play Metroid II: The Return of Samus (GB), or the remake Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS).
  • You can play Super Metroid (SNES) with the Switch Online library*.
  • You cannot play Metroid Fusion (GBA).

So definitely no good way to play them all on Switch, and even if you have a 3DS there’s no way to play Fusion on any modern Nintendo hardware now. You had to either buy it as part of the ambassadors’ program for a limited time in early days of the 3DS eShop, or you could’ve picked it up on the Wii U eShop.

*subscription required

I just realized I own all the Metroid games with the exception of Other M. I know the general reputation of that game, but I’m wondering if I should grab a copy just for completeness.

I’m surprised they haven’t released the Metroid Prime games for the Switch; would be a perfect fit.

Doesn’t matter, anyway. The greatest Metroid game is still Super Metroid. None of the 2D games capture the atmosphere of that game; and it had an incredible soundtrack (as did the original NES Metroid).

I have really high hopes for this new game. Haven’t been able to get into Samus Returns; need to give it another try, soon. I think that blocking mechanic is throwing me off.

Same. It came out at a time where I had shifted completely to PC games, and the poor reviews (due to things that would have specifically bothered me too) kept me from going.

Even DS games Metroid Prime Pinball and Metroid Hunters?

I’m missing Other M and Metroid Prime 2 (was there a third game? I remember that vaguely).

There was, on the Wii. and it was quite good in it’s own right.

I mean nothing tops the first Prime for pure gimmick free awesomeness and atmosphere, but the sound based weaponry and views were quite enjoyable in their own right.

I do own Pinball! But not Hunters. And actually now that I think about it, wasn’t there some kind of DS Metroid-adjacent bounty hunter sort of game? I don’t own that either.

I don’t own the Gamecube Prime games, but I picked up the Wii re-release of all those, figured I’d play them at some point. But I’m not the biggest fan of the 3D Metroid games so they’ll probably just sit there.

Yeah, Metroid Prime is probably my second favorite game in the series. It was a 3D interpretation done just about perfectly. Still, prefer the 2D aesthetic.

That was Hunters. It was a fine game, but very different than the rest of, well, anything in the series. It doesn’t have the same level of exploration and environmental design.

Federation Force? Forgot about that one. Missing that, too. But not really missing anything, if I recall.

I had Hunters but lost it in a move. Still have the case for it - should see about getting the cartridge on Ebay. Though, it wasn’t a good game, either, if I remember correctly. Also, I think it was centered on multiplayer, like Federation Force.

Actually I was thinking of Federation Force, just totally blanked on the name. I don’t own this one either.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/metroid-prime-federation-force-3ds/

But I’m not too terribly concerned about that. When I think of Metroid games I guess I’m mainly thinking about Samus games, so I may want to pick up Other M at some point. At least before it become impossible, or at least really pricey, to own.

I didn’t own a Wii, but the reviews scared me away from Other M so staying away if it gets re-released.

A Prime trilogy rerelease for the Switch has been rumored for years now, like “oh it’s shown up as submitted to the ratings board in Australia” or whatever, the kind of rumors that make it sound pretty convincing that it exists in some form, but that Nintendo just hasn’t decided to actually release it. I guess best case scenario is they’re waiting for Prime 4 to capitalize on the attention, but it’s Nintendo, sometimes their motives are never clear.

Yeah I didn’t have a 3DS so never played that one either.

That would be awesome as I didn’t get to play the sequels.

Do you have a Wii still?

they released a trilogy for the Wii with all 3 games. It does port the motion controls from MP3 to the first 2 games, but otherwise is a good adaptation.

Never had a Wii. Played Prime on the Gamecube.

Happy to see it’s getting good-to-great scores. This is the game that finally sells me on the Switch, which I’ve dithered on for years - when it was announced I told myself that I would buy one if it reviewed well. I can’t immediately due to finances (got an expensive water heater to install at my house, so I want to hold off on splurges for the moment), but look forward to it sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Wow, just saw the Overview Trailer and this looks incredible.