Metroid Dread - 2D Metroid on Switch

I only booted it up and played 5 minutes, but it’s pretty retro in its presentation in some ways, those stills with so-so written txt filling in the backstory really felt old to me. This is one space Nintendo really just doesn’t seem to have improved over the years.

I’m curious see how this stacks up against F.I.S.T which had a similar 3d/2d pane style and I thought was fairly good (and half the cost.)

Ok, the E.M.M.I. are going to be divisive I think. Kind of annoying early on getting chased through an area you haven’t learned yet and getting one shot if you mess up.

I now have a copy staring at me. Taunting me. And unfortunately I have actual work to do.

Technologically, sure it’s easier to do. But just the thought of doing that, the creative choice, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen an effect like that after Metroid Prime.

But yeah, definitely impressive at the time. I remember I kept shooting just to see it, and kept pestering my then-wife to look at the TV. After the 3rd or 4th time, she wasn’t so impressed. Haha.

Wait, this is out already??? I thought it was coming next month. Or I’m confusing it with another new release I was looking forward to.

came out today.

Beaten the first boss. Got to the third area.

So far so good. Only thing I really disliked was the intro with the texts and stills. Felt pedestrian, and the rest of the game is anything but that.

I like the speedy movement, but it goes against creating atmosphere and pacing, it’s like they were afraid to let the intro breathe. The opening is not as strong as, say, Super Metroid. But that’s just modern sensibilities.

The controls are tight and the first boss took 3-4 tries to nail down (and I was down to no health). It feels really good. I want to see what they do with progression and backtracking. So far it’s all been quite railroaded, but it’s just the beginning, and there are some pretty complex room layouts that fill me with hope. I think hunting the EMMIs might be the real focus here, given how those are starting to be framed as complex long term puzzles.

That’s just for the intro backstory though. In-game cut scenes are all animated in-engine (so far).

I need to order this now!

Well this sucks. I’m stuck in a series of four rooms connected to the Artaria Network Station. Pretty early in the game. I have the charge beam. I’ve tried shooting every inch of surface I can find. That it’s such a small area I can’t get out of makes it feel unintended. I’m not so sure this game is for me.

If you’re stuck in a really small area with no apparent way out, I’m 99% sure that there’s a way out that you’re just missing. Older Metroid games would put you in such a large area that it was really difficult to even know where you should start searching, but with more recent games they try to confine you to a small space so your search area is more limited. You’ll figure it out.

I’m not stuck, but lost in a way I haven’t been in a while in these kind of games, staring at the map no clue where to go, so I’m doing the fun thing of watching a video.

For figuring out where to go next, the ‘highlight icon’ thing on the map screen is invaluable.

Maybe. I’ll try to post screen caps next time I’m near my switch. All apparent exits are doors I can’t open.

Yuck. I let myself get excited for Dread because Nintendo has delivered so many quality exclusives for the Switch, and I figured Dread would retain the formula of unguided exploration unique to the series while getting rid of game design dross like having to shoot random surfaces to progress. I also didn’t realize there would be precision platforming. I hate precision platforming. I’ll give it another try, but I don’t think the game is for me.

I haven’t noticed any precision platforming yet. Only as far as getting the charge beam though.

So far its Metroid, with above average backgrounds for the series. My only gripe with the EMMI sections so far is that without the full mobility suite (particularly morph ball) it is more dependent on guess work.

Yeah that’s the bit that most of the genre seems to have moved on from. You still usually need to shoot random stuff to find hidden items but rarely do you do so to progress the main mission, and here you definitely need to. It seems maybe the start of every new area you need to find the hidden blocks to shoot.

found it. Go to the upper right from the station. in that room is a platform you can slide under or jump on top of, with a disconnected tunnel above.

Shoot the tiles in the center above you. You can then cross between.

The rooms with hidden stuff flash on the map, so you at least know there’s something there somewhere. Unsure if this particular instance did that or if it’s just for hidden items, because I found it pretty quick (assuming it’s the same bit I’m thinking about).

Beat the first boss last night, and yeah it was quite cool and not frustrating at all, even though I must have died at least 5 times. I’m not great at these games. :)

Progression of new ‘stuff’ is very satisfying, I don’t know how it can maintain this pace without being a very short game!

Does the game have a radar view like Super Metroid did to help spot hidden stuff?

the minimap does show items. It will let. you know something is there, and if you actually see it it will mark what it is.