Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

Important enough to make a thread, I guess!

That seems like a very big deal.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

That’s the minimum that can be said. It’s starting to border up on an antitrust case.

Here is what they buy, from Wikipedia:

Life just got interesting for Insomniac.

Wow, absolutely did not see this coming.

When you think about it, though, their stock is down 60% from peak, which makes them an attractive acquisition target. The last time it was at $95 was in mid-summer 2021, before all the scandals broke.

MS appears to be a benevolent overlord, certainly better than ATVI management, and they made sure to note this makes them the third largest gaming company after Sony and Tencent.

Holy shit. That is a worlds end supernova kind of merger and acquisition. Wow!

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/microsoft-acquire-activision-blizzard-bring-joy-and-community

Microsoft will acquire Activision Blizzard for $95.00 per share, in an all-cash transaction valued at $68.7 billion, inclusive of Activision Blizzard’s net cash.

Holy shit. This is MS going full-on nuclear.

Well, that certainly increases the value of Gamepass it would seem. Impressive!

Guess I can play any activision game again now, too.

I suppose that depends on why you boycotted in the first place, what MS does with ATVI management, and what their new stance is.

MS is taking exclusives seriously. That will pay off for them.

According to this, Kotick reports to Phil. Lol.

Mostly the China thing, but not having any games I wanted to play made it easier.

That sure is one way to deal with your Bobby Kotick problem.

We’ll see if they ultimately retain Kotick, he basically owns the company’s board and he negotiated the sale so he may be there for a good long time. That doesn’t mean MS won’t enforce corporate standards more… consistently than he did, though.

Rights belong to Rebellion these days, they acquired them back in 2009 during the merger between Activision and Vivendi/Blizzard. Microsoft still walking away with an impressive stable of IPs though.

Within a month or three, I’m imagining that we’ll see Bobby “Look for new challenges” or something similar.

“more time with my fam!”