Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

WoW is currently around a million subs. Not 10 million.

No way they’re down to 1 million globally. Please cite source.

Edit: but it’s definitely not 10 million paying $15/month. If I were guessing I’d say 4 million. Don’t forget China. But of course subs in China are very different.

Edit 2: if you told me WoW subs were 1.5 million ROW and 2.5 million in China I’d say that felt about right.

more like 4.5-4.8

I’m pretty sure they’re after the behavior and data they can mine from people playing those games.

It used to be my 9 to 5 for a while at Yahoo. Ah, so many slots games… so many Match 3 clones… so many hidden object adventures…

Data mining the Amory is fun. It’s around a million.

The only thing about this that makes me sad is Diablo leaving PS after I discovered how awesome it played on the PS4 vs PC. Now I’m forced back to the PC again and my PS5 is becoming a bit less useful.

Everything else Activision/Blizzard is ho-hum for me, great for MS if they can clean it up and not carry the toxicity with them.

That is all.

Yeah. The last known official count was 5.x in 2015. The best guess these days is 4.7-ish. This isn’t counting places like Asia where I think it’s not subs, but game time purchases by the hour.

Or buy an Xbox, which is what MS wants you to do!

Interesting that you call Diablo specifically as better on PS. A word buddy and I were just talking about how much better Diablo is on PC! To each his own!

I haven’t followed WoW numbers at all, but only losing 500K in 6 years…I dunno. That feels optimistic to me.

But I have no idea.

Yeah. It’s hard to tell with the asian model being different. Blizzard’s MAU is down 20million since Legion launched, but that is all Blizzard properties. I imagine WoW is the majority of those.

The disappointing thing in all of this is that we’re just yapping about something that is at least a year away from having any actual impact to us as players.

The 2B for Minecraft really was chump change for them.

Reforged seems pretty much dead. I don’t think there have been updates on a while, and they even bother putting it on sale with the other totles.

Yes, I posted that a couple hours ago. The WSJ broke that aspect of the story.

People type too much

Oh shit

I was about to buy Actiblizzard too, but did not had pocket change.

So a company that stopped having good games 10 years ago because started ignoring artist and engineers has been bought by a even larger company.
I don’t see how that could reignite the qualities that made Blizzard have a ginormeous fanbase. If anything, it wold be very hard. if they only buy brands and then milk these brands. Then Meh. I have never understood the fixation of people with brands. … in videogames of all things.

John Davison gets it. More consolidation is inevitable. It feels like Sony must acquire more content or risk being shut out long term. Though this could be through long-term exclusivity deals and not necessarily via purchases.

Over the next few years, though, the box under your TV will become irrelevant. With faster networks and increasingly powerful technology, singular custom gaming hardware is already less important if you just want access to games. Sure, if you want the best possible experience they’ll still be consequential – just as Blu-Ray players can provide a better experience than streaming movies – but for the vast majority of people, all that matters is convenience and access. So, if any device – like your phone or tablet, or the TV in your living room – can provide access to a gigantic library of games through a built-in app with a subscription service like Game Pass, the most important thing is stuffing that service with lots and lots of really good games. We can cynically point at failures like Google’s atrocious Stadia user experience or Amazon’s half-assed Luna service as proof that this idea is “bad” – but underneath the layers of licensing bullshit and incomprehensible payment plans, the fundamental problem with both of those (and others) has been that the game selection sucks. Game Pass does not have that issue.